• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you get rid of squirrels

I have squirrels out the wazoo ....... the late, great, Raven the rottie would kill anything that came into the yard...... I bet I disposed of close to 50 critters of all kinds; groundhogs, opossums, skunks, ect....... but not one squirrel; they must be a tough catch

The squirrels by me are not outnumbering at the moment, but when they get too big
I "eradicate" them with a Gamo 1200fps pellet rifle. Woodpeckers like my cedar house so they all have to go!
Cost me some change over the years because they're too stupid to figure out that my house is NOT a tree!

If you can't relocate them due to where you are....pellet gun. Anything else...they always come back. Traps, pepper, whatever...will only teach you the definition of insanity.

Either that, or you might as well start getting them Christmas cards...cause they're stayin'.

1708615890485.png

Oh man, I want to try that! I can see it being a competitive league sport.

My brother-in-law had a squirrel problem (out here they like chewing up cedar decks and gazebos) and his solution was the havahart live trap. When he trapped one, he'd paint their butt orange and release them in a nearby waterway. I asked him why the paint and he said that way he'd know if he got a repeat offender. I asked him, 'Then what? Snuff it like you should have the 1st time?' He got a blank look and had no answer. I still laugh about those squirrels running around with an orange ***. Of course my plan was to trap some squirrels, paint their butts orange, and release them in his yard 'cause that's how I roll. But I'm too lazy for that. Unwanted critters around here tend to pass from lead poisoning.

The hawks are having a field day around here lately. I'm wondering if the drought last summer killed off a lot of their food supply because I've never seen so many hawks around here.

The hawks are having a field day around here lately. I'm wondering if the drought last summer killed off a lot of their food supply because I've never seen so many hawks around here.
You just can't seem to get rid of Hawks! :rofl:

My daughter took her hawk hunting on my buddy's farm and couldn't compete with the local predators. That critter has it made, living on frozen quail. It has to go on a fasting break before it will hunt. Hardly an efficient squirrel control mechanism. At home, the bird is contained, and my son in law deals with the squirrels with a pellet gun, a cat, and once when he had a flying squirrel infestation, he used a tennis racquet.

459A17A0-B398-4654-B174-AE7DC2495AA0.jpeg

I suggest you check your wood/ gables. Unless they are building a nest, they do it to get bugs that are burrowing underneath.
No neccessarily, I have a good friend that had woodpeckers drill into his facia.
He swears the stuff was not rotted at all in other words no bugs.
Still had holes all over the place.
You never know in nature.

No neccessarily, I have a good friend that had woodpeckers drill into his facia.
He swears the stuff was not rotted at all in other words no bugs.
Still had holes all over the place.
You never know in nature.
We get Northern Flickers on our chimney and they hammer on the metal cap. It's loud enough to wake the dead. Apparently it's part of their mating ritual. They find the loudest material available. I just chase them off with rocks.

We get Northern Flickers on our chimney and they hammer on the metal cap. It's loud enough to wake the dead. Apparently it's part of their mating ritual.
And after they mate, the female will become a Mother Flicker.

My daughter took her hawk hunting on my buddy's farm and couldn't compete with the local predators. That critter has it made, living on frozen quail. It has to go on a fasting break before it will hunt. Hardly an efficient squirrel control mechanism. At home, the bird is contained, and my son in law deals with the squirrels with a pellet gun, a cat, and once when he had a flying squirrel infestation, he used a tennis racquet.

View attachment 1614066
I use a badminton racquet on the dang dirt daubers....tennis racquets are too big. Hate that so many have problems with the critters. So far so good here and in April will be 40 years living here. There's a neighbor that's few doors down that has lots of problems with squirrels but he built his house with an atrium in the middle of the place. To me, that's just asking for it. He uses a pellet rifle.

Wow!l True to FBBO form and constitution - you never know what you’re going to get when you start a thread like this. The pepper and the pellet solutions are the only thoughts that I could use here. I ended up scooping out the pepper I put in early am because after putting it around I was unsure of what effect it would have on the that young Japanese Maple when dissolved into the soil. This tree is in a large pot so it’s not going to just disappear - it’ll reside in the soil. So seems the pellet gun may be it. It’s unlikely anybody would see me smoke these guys - and there’s only two. I just didn’t really want to do that. My wife - from Saigon - had never seen anything like these guys and really likes to watch them run around. If you’ve ever been to Saigon you’d know there’s like zero room for any wildlife of any kind and if there were it would be eaten by humans in very short order. I don’t have a bleeding heart that way - My place is a condo but I reside on the outskirts of the project. There’s a huge nature preserve below me but a bit away to where I’ve had the occasional skunk & possum which I’ve dispatched in more humane ways - I didn’t kill them - but let’s just say the sewer system is more populated now days. It’s just these two little pricks that appeared in the last year that have pissed me off and have to go. The other one that disappeared after so many years I didn’t like but he never did this digging thing. We have coyotes up the ying Yang around here but they don’t bother me. I’ve no ankle biter pets or little kids, I’m not in any way afraid of them and have nothing at stake. Besides there’s no way to get rid of them with that nature preserve below me. As I’m thinking maybe I could cover the bases of those potted trees that are the main recipients w/something impossible or very difficult for them to get thru and will allow water to seep thru for the plants….. maybe metal mesh … hmmm

Wow!l True to FBBO form and constitution - you never know what you’re going to get when you start a thread like this. The pepper and the pellet solutions are the only thoughts that I could use here. I ended up scooping out the pepper I put in early am because after putting it around I was unsure of what effect it would have on the that young Japanese Maple when dissolved into the soil. This tree is in a large pot so it’s not going to just disappear - it’ll reside in the soil. So seems the pellet gun may be it. It’s unlikely anybody would see me smoke these guys - and there’s only two. I just didn’t really want to do that. My wife - from Saigon - had never seen anything like these guys and really likes to watch them run around. If you’ve ever been to Saigon you’d know there’s like zero room for any wildlife of any kind and if there were it would be eaten by humans in very short order. I don’t have a bleeding heart that way - My place is a condo but I reside on the outskirts of the project. There’s a huge nature preserve below me but a bit away to where I’ve had the occasional skunk & possum which I’ve dispatched in more humane ways - I didn’t kill them - but let’s just say the sewer system is more populated now days. It’s just these two little pricks that appeared in the last year that have pissed me off and have to go. The other one that disappeared after so many years I didn’t like but he never did this digging thing. We have coyotes up the ying Yang around here but they don’t bother me. I’ve no ankle biter pets or little kids, I’m not in any way afraid of them and have nothing at stake. Besides there’s no way to get rid of them with that nature preserve below me. As I’m thinking maybe I could cover the bases of those potted trees that are the main recipients w/something impossible or very difficult for them to get thru and will allow water to seep thru for the plants….. maybe metal mesh … hmmm
Sprinkling black pepper into your soil is a good way to combat and repel insects that live closer to the root, like ants, while mixing powdered black pepper or black pepper oil and warm water in a spray bottle can help target any critters on the leaves.

Auto Transport Service
Back