• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Do You Handle The Mopar Craziness?

Part of the problem is that the typical places to buy ordinary parts are staffed with kids from a generation that could only wax the dolphin while looking at a picture of an old B Body. The parts are there, you just need to find the right old timer that knows how to dig for them.

Last edited:
One benefit is instead of having 10,000 morons on a Chevelle forum all f-bombing each other, you get a small group of like minded people trying to help, learn, and enjoy the hobby.
And F bomb each other:argue::VB toast:

I think that's the big difference. Because the Mopar community is that much smaller, the F bombs fly, but there is an underlying respect for each other.

if you want something that every-freekin-body else has....then i suggest you go tend to a 69 Camaro (vomit).... then life will be so much easier for you.

Dawg correction any years of Camaro's &/or Mustang's

For me it's simple...I got into MOPARS as a result of my Brother buying his first. We grew up in a Ford Family so it was natural to gravitate in that direction. Besides...That is what I started wrenching on in the first place. After taking the plunge into MOPARS, I now have a respectful affinity for them because of the challenges we all assume with this Marquee. Keeps me coming back for more. Now that I am somewhat an "Old Head" when it comes to MOPAR, I have discovered how really close we in this Marquee are to Ford. The Dodge Brothers initially worked for Henry Ford building his automobiles but left after some time to form their own building establishment. In fact a little bit of info to help you out here...

Say that you need to replace your MOPAR windshield Washer Reservoir and Pump. Now the MOPAR pump will set you back from anywhere in the range of 60.00 - 100.00 plus. The exact same pump from Ford is around 20.00-40.00 depending upon the sources. It is the exact "FREAKING" pump. Now the purists will say OK...But it ain't a MOPAR piece. I say to them...yes it is because the Vendor that made them for MOPAR also made them for Ford and some GM applications. Might not have the Pentastar Logo on it, but the rest is the same. For me if I need to replace one, I will go with the Ford unit over the MOPAR because I am not that concerned with "Concourse Correctness" as I build my rides to be driven and function.

We have a higher standard here when it comes to MOPARS and therefore have to spend more time in getting parts and accessories that we need to build and restore/replace parts on our cars. If you know what you are looking for, you most often times can use other Marquee's parts that are the exact same pieces/parts but at a fraction of the costs. I appreciate all Marquees and anyone who is in this Hobby. I am not nor have I been a fan of Chevy. Pontiac, Olds, Buick are some fascinating Marquees and do pick my interest, Mopars are my first choice and if I wern't playing with them I would be more inclined to be playing with Fords. And not just the Mustangs. Ford after all had some way over the top models of American Muscle that are just as awesome as our MOPARS. Just my 2 cents and where I am at in this wonderful Hobby...Tuck

I love ALL the muscle cars. I just love the Mopars more and I've never been ashamed to say if there were no Mopars I'd be buying Fords, and almost bought a couple Torino's when i was searching for my first car ... I was looking for a 69 RR and man it was hard to find an actual RR, for me anyway, in 81. I really like the 68-71 Torino's especially.

- - - Updated - - -

Part of the problem is that the typical places to buy ordinary parts are staffed with kids from a generation that could only wax the dolphin while looking at a picture of an old B Body. The parts are there, you just need to find the right old timer that knows how to dig for them.

Like prop said earlier the good thing is the internet has arrived and (i would say sites like this but really I haven't found one to compare to this one, there are some others that are very useful but not the same crowd) there are sources for what we need. And depending on how hard you look or lucky your are there are still old time equal deal parts guys that know their stuff.

When I needed a carb gasket for the racer, I sent the Wifey with the carb to Autozone. As SOON as she walked in, an old school guy said "Oh my God, a Predator. Haven't seen one of those in years." The kids all looked at him, then the Wifey/carb and one asked "What is and what does it do?" we are so screwed if some of the old school stuff isn't passed down..

When I needed a carb gasket for the racer, I sent the Wifey with the carb to Autozone. As SOON as she walked in, an old school guy said "Oh my God, a Predator. Haven't seen one of those in years." The kids all looked at him, then the Wifey/carb and one asked "What is and what does it do?" we are so screwed if some of the old school stuff isn't passed down..

Hell, when we were 12, me and my buddies would drool over the newest Predator advertisement. I dont know anything about em, are they streetable? If so, i think i might just need one just for old times sake.

Hell, when we were 12, me and my buddies would drool over the newest Predator advertisement. I dont know anything about em, are they streetable? If so, i think i might just need one just for old times sake.

There was a street version. Not the best mileage, but very responsive. Pretty simple design. The race version was way wild on the racer. I sent one off to be rebuilt a few years ago, and lost touch with the guy rebuilding it. Not that I could afford to run one on anything I have now.

You've got to know people ( fellow crazies) to get the hard to find parts..especially if they have 100+ cars on there property..

great site & knowledgable people

#1 I love ALL the muscle cars. #2 I just love the Mopars more and I really like the 68-71 Torino's especially.

- - - Updated - - -
Like prop said earlier the good thing is the internet has arrived and (#3 i would say sites like this but really I haven't found one to compare to this one, there are some others that are very useful but not the same crowd) there are sources for what we need. And depending on how hard you look or lucky your are there are still old time equal deal parts guys that know their stuff.

:iamwithstupid: you got those 3 things 100% correct, yes this is the best forum on the WWW

I cant tell you how many times, when guys ask, "what car are you building", they have no clue what it looks like. Then I pull up a picture and it's; "WOW, That is cool!!" Ya, No $hit... I sometimes get the response, "I think those old Mopars are ugly." "Well, to each his own guess. BTW all the other sheep drove off that way in a camaro."

that's for sure Prop. made me thing of dad. he knew Mopars inside and out. If i had a problem i couldn't figure out i would give him a call. he could always diagnose it for me, and tell me exactly what tools i was going to need down to all the socket sizes i was going to need to do it. example would be, you need a 1/2 drive, 7/8" deep socket with a 6" extension for the large bolt and an 5/8" open ended rench for the nut on the back ... or a 3/8" drive drive with a 5/16" 6 point socket and and whatever sized allen wrench for something else. I miss him in more ways than one

- - - Updated - - -

Kiss mine Tallhair.

- - - Updated - - -

No, Thank You, you SMFIDAKB. :eek:ccasion14:

shove it runner 68

- - - Updated - - -

:iamwithstupid: you got those 3 things 100% correct, yes this is the best forum on the WWW

LMAO. thanks budnicks you hard hearing old bastage

i've never been ashamed to say if there were no mopars i'd be buying fords,
- - - updated - - -

ford ?

tumblr_m93m662BqF1rd8muoo1_500.jpg

Well I have to say there has been a few cruises i've been to where there has been a few real nice restored a and b bodies. Well out of my income range and the guys seemed a little conceited to me. My car is a 68' sport sat/gtx clone, and ya it's painted a 70' color and my engine bay is black, and it's not a perfect clone, but I love it!!! I can see the wheels turning thinking oh that's not right and oh it's only really a SS and look the engine bay is black. I seem to get more respect/comments from people who used to have one and what happened to it and how they wish they had it. Sometimes it kind of bothers me but when I come rumbling in with my heavily cammed 440 with open exhaust all the other brand x guys are cranning their heads around to get a better look. Or when i start it to leave and it jumps to life with a roar and scares people it makes ME smile and I couldn't give two shits what anyone thinks about it. :)

Well I have to say there has been a few cruises i've been to where there has been a few real nice restored a and b bodies. Well out of my income range and the guys seemed a little conceited to me. My car is a 68' sport sat/gtx clone, and ya it's painted a 70' color and my engine bay is black, and it's not a perfect clone, but I love it!!! I can see the wheels turning thinking oh that's not right and oh it's only really a SS and look the engine bay is black. I seem to get more respect/comments from people who used to have one and what happened to it and how they wish they had it. Sometimes it kind of bothers me but when I come rumbling in with my heavily cammed 440 with open exhaust all the other brand x guys are cranning their heads around to get a better look. Or when i start it to leave and it jumps to life with a roar and scares people it makes ME smile and I couldn't give two shits what anyone thinks about it. :)

Yep. couldn't argue one statement, Sounds like your havin as much fun as anyone with that coveted "RM" in the VIN.. My engine bay is black right now to, thats what i wanted then, I paint mine again, i will paint it to the color of the car and all RR stuff will be deleted, except the hood and rally dash, only for the reason i can still have the stripes and the looks without a bird in a circle lol... I do dare to be different but if it comes to a new color, wouldn't be as much fun doing it if i didn't change some things, id really like a vinyl top but time will tell. You cant beat Mopars, ive had a lot of nice Chevy cars but somehow i always ended up with another Mopar and usually with a Plymouth although my first was a Dodge, Its like being a member of the elite of the car world for looks, ride and performance, My car isint no speed demon, but ive had the ones that were and besides, some really do think its got the 400 in it that i did plan on doing. Maybe ill put a BB in my next Mopar!

I haven't had a chance to drive mine to a local show yet but I can tell you I have not seen 1 67, 66, etc Coronet around here...not 1 and my town as 30,000+ people and is close to Chicago. I have seen a few at other shows but not one post car....so when I can pull up next to the local Chevelle SS, blow his doors off, and get more looks in the process....well you get the point.

As for how to deal with the craziness....just become a hoarder of parts...hehe (that reminds me, I need to bump my parts car ad)

I like a challenge.

I've spent the better part of 10 years off an on hunting and digging to find parts cars and parts for my '63.

I was like a kid at Christmas when I found little things that were missing like the speaker grille for the dash.

The hunt is half the fun with the other half being the block long burnouts that reward you after you've worked your *** off!

The 1st car i owned was a 1979 Dodge Aspen, slant six 4-speed (damn i still miss that car). I remember in high school how that car would ALWAYS start, even when it was -20 degrees outside, and everyone else's Phords and Chebbies wouldn't turn over. I once even ran the car about 12-15 miles with no oil in it (i didn't tighten the drain plug all the way just before a 35 mile trip).
Since than I've owned a number of cars (2 Fords, 2 Chebbies and another Dodge). I even had a 1972 'stang for a while, but the dependability was never there, and i just never felt an "attachment" to the vehicle like i did with my old dodge. Now that i have a RR, I love getting out there and just driving wherever the road takes me. Finding parts is proving to be a little difficult, but the car runs great, and i never have the feeling it would do anything else. P.S. I kinda like turning heads when people try and figure out what it is, even the big cartoon Roadrunner decal on the rear window seems to confuse them LOL

Auto Transport Service
Back