• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you remove moldings / trim?

67possible

Local time
11:39 PM
Reaction score
I have a 67 Coronet and I want to remove the side moldings, window trim, drip rail trim, and that stuff. I am going to wrap it with matte black vinyl and then put most of the shiny stuff back on. I have never done any kind of body work before and don't want to damage any trim pieces. Do I need special tools to remove/install? Any help at all would be appreciated.

Wow, thanks rsd859, that helped a lot! I am ordering one of those hooks now. Still open to any more information I can get on removing molding. I saw someone removing drip edge molding with an old bottle opener. That made me a little nervous, but I will try to be careful. Thanks again for your help.

Not a problem, The clips should be similar, but on the rear window there shouldnt be a rubber seal.

I just tried the bottle opener on the drip edge molding and it worked like a charm! The window trim though, that's a whole different story...:black_eye:

On window trim get the tool and move it along under trim. When you feel the clip push it in and lift up trim carefully I also used a 2 inch puddy knife to lift trim a bit to see where clip's were . Once you get doing it it's pretty easy. Do not force anything or bend it. Side trim is pretty hard to get off without breaking the plastic clips I got all my trim off perfectly but broke about 1/2 of the clips

Rick E just did a how-to article with good photos in Mopar Action (last issue, not current issue). His removal tool looks similar except it has a left and right hook like a U-shape. Slow and steady...I like the putty knife idea

Auto Transport Service
Back