• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How important is a A12 wingnut ?

MecGen

Local time
10:06 AM
Reaction score
Hi people

I have been back at cleaning my storage space and noticed I am missing a wingnut on my 6pack.

My question for you guys that know these A12 better then me, how important to a restorer to have the original wing nuts? Are reproduction wing nuts as good to a uber picky owner? Should I start to rip apart my storage locker and look for it on all 4's? I hope not... lol
Thanks in advance

received_138917954708002.jpeg

YEP.. start looking or post a WTB. How I got my missing one... All depends on how carried away you're getting elsewhere with correctness..
beerestoration2018 1263.JPG

Yep, start looking, reproduction parts are different.

YEP.. start looking or post a WTB. How I got my missing one... All depends on how carried away you're getting elsewhere with correctness..

Is the one pictured on your setup an original ? It looks like the wingnut is not solid metal but more like it is made from flaged metal, did I see that correctly ?
Thanks

I had some solid ones on mine when I started the restoration and was told they weren't correct and were probably something from a hardware store... for a Ramcharger set up at least.

What I had...
beerestoration2015 260.JPG

What I was advised is correct.. who knows..
beerestoration2019part2 621.JPG

....and as Stanton advised, that's not an A12 cleaner assembly, it's a Ramcharger..

And that's not an A12 air cleaner assembly either !!!

Yes, I guess I should have been clearer. The stud puctured is not the original as it did not have a wingnut when I got the assembly (as pictured) and was obvious to me its a threaded rod. It was the other one that is not shown that I know was there before - guilty as charged, I took it off a couple years ago to try and match one for the other one. Now I cant find it .... but I know its somewhere in my shop. Either which way, i was missing one or two so I'd thought I would ask. I will find it.

Can I ask you why you don't think its a A12? Admittedly I am far from an expert but when I googled the numbers a few years ago and it came up as A12 option, 1969.5 Edelbrock commissioned intake, chromed air filter. This intake as pictured was removed from the motor, wrapped in that plastic and stored for almost 40 yesrs.

Thanks for your input

He's telling you that your air cleaner assembly is not an A12 unit. It's for a ramcharger/airgrabber hood... just like mine.

I had some solid ones on mine when I started the restoration and was told they weren't correct and were probably something from a hardware store... for a Ramcharger set up at least.

What I had...

....and as Stanton advised, that's not an A12 cleaner assembly, it's a Ramcharger..

The solid one looks exactly what I remember... but I am older then dirt and my memory is not what it was.
I appreciate your help, I need to get this intake assembly properly identified.

Pics needed of the intake AND the numbers/date codes on the carbs are the way to tell you IF they are A12.
Many people hold onto parts for many years under the premise they are what they believe, only to realize them to be similar part for a different year.
The air cleaner base and lid is not A12. They were not chrome and yours had the wrong perimeter lip(45 degree) required for fresh air hoods (scoop) example A12 and AAR

To OP, the air cleaner in your pic is NOT an A12. The A12 base looks like the one in post#11. It had a rubber bulge gasket on the top of the perimeter. The wing nuts on mine were like the ones in post#7. The lid was orange, not chrome.

318-2 wing nut $2

340-4 wing nut $4

440-6 wing nut $89

426 Hemi wing nut $399

Wow thanks everyone for the insite.

I sold my 69 SuperBee a couple years ago, and it had the N96 air grabber option, so I understand what it means - my car had no relation to this intake. When I googled the numbers on this intake a few years ago, it came back as a "A12" option. So I just figured (wrongly) A12 was a performance option that was not necessarily hood/air intake specific. So I am guessing A12 is the same type of identification as the N96 ... or can you have a A12 with a N96 hood ? Sorry for the beginner questions.

I am going back to my storage facility today, I will take a bunch of pictures as someone above suggested. Would it be ok to post them here or start a new thread in the intake forum? Or should I try to find someone to send the pictures to in a PM? This is a REALLY good forum and I don't want to step on toes.

Thanks again

https://www.americancarcollector.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/9f9f79e544fb8eb705d18df3c18b9f0a.jpgA12 is an option package for the 1969 Roadrunner and Superbee only.
Pkg consists of the 440 six pack engine pkg, and a fiberglass hood that lifts off ------ ala no hinges . There is no option to close said hood scoop in inclement weather . exterior wise is mainly just the Plain black 15" steel wheels with exposed chrome lugnuts

N96 is an option where the bottom side of the hood has a bolt on fiberglass ducting to draw in outside air that can be closed during inclement weather

Wow thanks everyone for the insite.

I sold my 69 SuperBee a couple years ago, and it had the N96 air grabber option, so I understand what it means - my car had no relation to this intake. When I googled the numbers on this intake a few years ago, it came back as a "A12" option. So I just figured (wrongly) A12 was a performance option that was not necessarily hood/air intake specific. So I am guessing A12 is the same type of identification as the N96 ... or can you have a A12 with a N96 hood ? Sorry for the beginner questions.

I am going back to my storage facility today, I will take a bunch of pictures as someone above suggested. Would it be ok to post them here or start a new thread in the intake forum? Or should I try to find someone to send the pictures to in a PM? This is a REALLY good forum and I don't want to step on toes.

Thanks again
I can answer your question if you simply take a pic of the intake.
If you want to know about the carbs...post pics the numbers for A12 are 4391(4sp) 4392(auto) outboards are 4393 and 4394 next would be dates (first three digits are days of the year) last is year. example 1209 is 120th day 69

The bolts that are shown, carb to intake are correct "H"ighland bolts.

https://www.americancarcollector.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/9f9f79e544fb8eb705d18df3c18b9f0a.jpgA12 is an option package for the 1969 Roadrunner and Superbee only.
Pkg consists of the 440 six pack engine pkg, and a fiberglass hood that lifts off ------ ala no hinges . There is no option to close said hood scoop in inclement weather . exterior wise is mainly just the Plain black 15" steel wheels with exposed chrome lugnuts

N96 is an option where the bottom side of the hood has a bolt on fiberglass ducting to draw in outside air that can be closed during inclement weather

"exterior wise is mainly just the Plain black 15" steel wheels" - my friend, IF you can find those plain steel wheels.......it would be a very lucrative income for you. In fact they're quite rare 15X6 JJ Made in Canada "H"Wheels made by Kelsay Hayes

I have a bunch of pictures but I think these are the important ones. Google still says its a A12. I don't see anything that would resemble a date code. What do you guys think?

received_449077603134045.jpeg
received_413165599920059.jpeg
received_916259049113249.jpeg
received_125935436023669.jpeg

I can answer your question if you simply take a pic of the intake.
If you want to know about the carbs...post pics the numbers for A12 are 4391(4sp) 4392(auto) outboards are 4393 and 4394 next would be dates (first three digits are days of the year) last is year. example 1209 is 120th day 69

The bolts that are shown, carb to intake are correct "H"ighland bolts.

Thank you, we posted at the same time. I think its an automatic because of the idle up solenoid? And the carb number says so

received_1541759636014430.jpeg
received_2945662865654894.jpeg
received_2774821049396553.jpeg
received_242981193856299.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back