• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How important is a A12 wingnut ?

If I can ask you, what type of air cleaner is on that Hurst 300?
upload_2021-1-16_14-6-39.png

It's not a 6BBL...just a TNT 440.

If I can ask you, what type of air cleaner is on that Hurst 300?
Would anyone know if the chrome top I have is original to something? Or was it custom? I can tell you it weighs a ton.

I do not recall seeing any 6 BBL OEM setup with a chrome top, but experts here will know for sure.
The OEM 69 1/2 A12 air cleaners were very heavy too.

I run a plastic one under mine on the lid so the paint doesn't get chipped... no washer originally.

I'd still like to see a OE correct wing nut picture...

Ah yes. The washer. It was the subject of great deal of discussion on the Moparts board under the A12 restoration board. Roger Gibson sells the correct washers and wing nuts.

Only washer I know of for an air filter is for round and snorkel assemblies running a pie plate... and that is also the only one Frank B shows listed for sale.

Don't recall a washer on my A12 setup. but it was long used. The wing nut was it's own washer.

So I guess we're now at the I want to see a picture of a correct OE wing nut AND this mystery washer. I love learning new stuff...

Well this was a long discussion on the Moparts board and several examples were shown in magazine articles and several original owners. Frank And Roger don’t make many mistakes. I just ordered some parts from him and I should have gotten a set o& washers and wing nuts. I think I will email him back and add those for show and tell. Lol!

Well his wing nuts are only $2.50 and the only cleaner washer he lists is for the pie plate... maybe he's holding back!! lol

I like the idea of a thin plastic washer under the wing nut that can't be seen, to protect the paint. But heck, i dont even know if i've got the right wingnuts or not!

Alright
Great discussion eh ! So far I have searched twice for this illusive wing nut to no avail. I hope its only $3.00. I kill eventually find it and update here
Thanks

I like the idea of a thin plastic washer under the wing nut that can't be seen, to protect the paint. But heck, i dont even know if i've got the right wingnuts or not!

318-2 wing nut $2

340-4 wing nut $4

440-6 wing nut $89

426 Hemi wing nut $399
And they are all the same wingnut. Mopar didn't buy different wingnuts every model. I got mine from Home Depot, .80 cents each.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Here is a picture of the reproduction wing nut that everyone is selling, it comes from AMK Fasteners. I will have to take one off of my cars for a picture of an original one, but the originals are slightly different in that the reproductions have a slight bit more of a radius on "wings" where it sweeps up from the base. The details that drives people to insanity.

The same wing nut was used on the battery tray J-Bolts with the washer up through 1969 and they changed over to the captive washer and nut for 1970.

I have never seen a washer used on a "fresh air" equipped air cleaner, but our 69 Charger RT has the original washer and wing nut in tact for the "unsilenced breather assembly."

The two barrel carbs used a lighter weight 1/4x20 stamped steel piece while the four barrel carbs used the heavier nut as pictured below. GM also used an almost identical piece that was even heavier, but virtually the same in appearance other than the Mopar piece was zinc plated.

WingNut_1.jpg WingNut_2.jpg

Thanks Richard.. I was still waiting for the OP to show a picture of his.

Mine.. Repos on the battery, OE's on the filter.
beerestoration2019part2 365.JPG

beerestoration2019part2 621.JPG

Here’s what I have. The first picture is my 70 AAR wing nuts In the middle The ones on the studs are my original 70 440 6 pack on my bird. The big one on the bottom is either a 4 barrel or a 69 six pack from my A12.

0443E93F-39AF-413E-8C98-DD2343F666B5.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back