• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How important is numbers matching to you?

Scott Kiger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:25 AM
Reaction score
Will it make it break whether you buy a project or completed car? I personally don’t care a whole lot but some do. For instance one of my cars does have the numbers matching engine but the transmission isn’t. The story I got was that when the car was four years old that the transmission was grenaded at the track and they put another in it out of a junkyard. Does that make that car less desirable? How much less is that car worth because if that?

I could give a rats ***....that said I never had anything worth much and going forward I dont think I could afford anything that is numbers matching Unless its the bottom of the barrel junker that no,one wants anyhow

Purist collectors or those that relish #'s matching...high $ rides. Certain vehicles, MO it's a bigger deal such as ultra rare cars. The market gives higher value to #'s matching BB's...

My big block, 4 speed, 2nd generation Charger is numbers matching and will stay that way so as to not diminish its value. No, it's not for sale.

Future purchases? I couldn't care less.

It's really nice to have but having matching #'s stunts your enjoyment of the vehicle a bit. It doesn't stop me from buying a car at all but the value must be right in either case.

I was actually a little pissed off when I found that my new to me '69 Swinger was a #'s matching car, as I bought it based on the fact I was told it wasn't (so didn't even look) and was planning to do some mods. Can't bring myself to cutting it up, so bought a '64 that I know for sure is not and I can do what ever I want with.

As for your none #'s trans, I don't think too may people get that tied up in a "#'s match car" that they'd devalue it because the trans has been replaced.

I don't care as long as they replaced it with the correct part. (No a 440 rv engine is not a correct 440 hp engine replacement)
Keep in mind there are shady people happy to put any number you want as long as it pays off.

#'s matching only matters with my lottery tickets. 1 of my last 4 hot rods was original and in this area I couldn't squeeze the extra 2-5 thousand out of it that the originality should have brought. My current 66 Belvedere has GM paint, a hot 73 440, 73 trans and 73 410 rear from a Dodge. No one will ever notice on the highway at 60 mph.
Jerry

Depends on the car. Had a really nice 70 383 Challenger that was numbers matching but just that wasn't going to stop me. What did stop me was that the car was so nice and wearing dang nice original paint too. 318 or 6 banger car.....if it were pristine I would probably leave the 318 alone but that /6 would probably get pulled.

Numbers matching is important if competing in original and restoration classes at car shows.
On a rare and and desirable car, the numbers matching can drive the price up to car collectors.
On a more common, higher volume car, it may indicate the car has not been molested too badly. Value to be determined between buyer and seller?
Non-numbers matching could be good or bad depending on what your looking for. Often price is not crazy, and the drivetrain is usually an upgrade from what the car originally had?

There was a time I wouldn't even give a non matching numbers car a 2nd thought.

NOW, I would rather have a rust free body

Luckily for me

My car is a 66 and I dont have to worry about numbers matching. All i have to worry about is a proper date code . And it happens to be dead on, even though I know for a fact its not the original block

Last edited:
I can't afford to buy most of the cars in the market, let alone a numbers matching car. I enjoy the freedom to modify to my heart's desire.

I didn’t know until around 2015 that GM cars up to the 1972 MY didn’t have the engine designation in the VIN. That’s why it became a thing.

It would be a nice have, but not important to me. I prefer to modify them to my liking anyway.

When I bought the Charger when I was 19 I wasn't even aware of where to look for any numbers, nor did I expect it to have the original drivetrain. Only after pulling the engine to freshen the bay 17 years ago I found it had the numbers matching engine and trans. Had a lot of fun street racing and occasional track time back in the day, but just doing the show thing only these days. Had plenty of other cars that had transplanted drivetrains that never bothered me.

Last edited:
I have the original numbers matching drivetrain for the '71 Charger 500, that came with the 383-4bbl, 727, and 8-3/4"
Only original part still in the car now is the transmission case. Now has 400 block stroked to 500", totally upgraded 727 transmission. Not sure there is a stock part in the transmission?, and the rear axle was replaced with a Strange S-60 4.10 Spool unit.

In general, the more performance-oriented and rarer the car, the more numbers matching matters. Not many care if a /6 Dart 4 door is numbers matching. If a Hemi Daytona is or is-not numbers matching, then you have impact to value.

It’s not about numbers matching. It’s about certain cars having the original equipment. Nobody cares if a 318 charger has the original engine. But a triple black 69 charger with AC, 4 speed and a hemi or 440 it makes a difference.

Auto Transport Service
Back