• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How important is numbers matching to you?

The other is a 1966 Coronet 500 convertible with a 426 Hemi (now 432 cu in) with the TKO-600 5-speed with 36% overdrive--I built them the same because this formula works and is tried and true. The results of both cars are the same speeds and performance--

DSC00157 1966 hemi coronet restored.jpg DSC00150 432 Hemi.jpg DSC00146 1966 hemi coronet interior.jpg

I've have a few numbers matching cars but one was a /6 so can't really count it but still have it. 66 2dr sedan Belvedere I with rubber floor mats and factory AC. Sadly the AC was sold off when I was building a drag car out of it.

Another was a 70 440 Challenger RT convertible that had nearly all the options on it but the wife didn't like it because the top was down and blowing her hair. Dang it. No more women to rule my life anymore but it is kinda ironic that she's nearly bald today.

One other was a really nice 70 Challenger 383fourbarrel Challenger still wearing nice looking burnt orange paint. Only changes to it was the Accel dual point and wheels. Coolest thing about that car was that it was built on my birthday. Main reasons I sold it was because it was sitting a lot and I didn't feel right about doing to it what I wanted to do to it. If I found a numbers matching and popular model and the price was right, I'd buy to flip and then put the money into my Belvedere.

I've have a few numbers matching cars but one was a /6 so can't really count it but still have it. 66 2dr sedan Belvedere I with rubber floor mats and factory AC. Sadly the AC was sold off when I was building a drag car out of it.

Another was a 70 440 Challenger RT convertible that had nearly all the options on it but the wife didn't like it because the top was down and blowing her hair. Dang it. No more women to rule my life anymore but it is kinda ironic that she's nearly bald today.

One other was a really nice 70 Challenger 383fourbarrel Challenger still wearing nice looking burnt orange paint. Only changes to it was the Accel dual point and wheels. Coolest thing about that car was that it was built on my birthday. Main reasons I sold it was because it was sitting a lot and I didn't feel right about doing to it what I wanted to do to it. If I found a numbers matching and popular model and the price was right, I'd buy to flip and then put the money into my Belvedere.
Oh how much I would want that Challenger vert you had. Well, back when had a '70 Cuda vert 4sp 383 and a '67 GTO vert, the goat was all optioned I'd sure like to have back. 40 plus years later and I still whine about it, lol.

Oh how much I would want that Challenger vert you had. Well, back when had a '70 Cuda vert 4sp 383 and a '67 GTO vert, the goat was all optioned I'd sure like to have back. 40 plus years later and I still whine about it, lol.
The one that I never should have let go of was a 71 340 Cuda with front and rear factory sway bars and T/A steering. With 275-60-15 on 8" wide homemade rallye wheels on the back and 215-70?-14 on 6" rallyes on the front, the thing actually handled pretty good and only hung out the rear if I got on the throttle too hard. It was also the best donut car I ever had! :D The vert was pretty cool but I'm not real crazy about convertibles.

The one that I never should have let go of was a 71 340 Cuda with front and rear factory sway bars and T/A steering. With 275-60-15 on 8" wide homemade rallye wheels on the back and 215-70?-14 on 6" rallyes on the front, the thing actually handled pretty good and only hung out the rear if I got on the throttle too hard. It was also the best donut car I ever had! :D The vert was pretty cool but I'm not real crazy about convertibles.
Yeah love/hate for verts. I was always a vert fan; but my brother didn’t like them. When I had my 67 GTO he had one as well being as bare as possible, zero options, 3 speed post. About as opposite a pair of 67 goats could be. Burned more calories when I’d drive his.

Im currently restoring a rust free 70 Challenger that has a 440-6 pack and 727 trans--just finished stripping to bare metal--metal treating everything and 6 coats of factory white single stage--still want to color sand and buff but it looks amazing now--has 4:88 sure grip now-but I'll change it out for a street ratio--gonna sell it--price will depend on new owners prefrences like gearing and if they want a 5-speed OD tranny--Full 3 inch exhaust I just finished--so much more Ive done not said here--

DSC00532.JPG

Zero importance to me, I like modified cars and prefer not to cut up one that's valuable to those who seek a numbers car.

I can't afford #'s matching nice vehicles. My coronet project will miss the match by 3 months. Sept car Dec motor.
I had a restored Harley once and hated to ride it. Too many worries and what is.
I will just stick to driver vehicles and leave the dream vehicles to the rich guys, suits me better.

I can't afford #'s matching nice vehicles. My coronet project will miss the match by 3 months. Sept car Dec motor.
I had a restored Harley once and hated to ride it. Too many worries and what is.
I will just stick to driver vehicles and leave the dream vehicles to the rich guys, suits me better.
Well, I've never seen a car that had an engine in it that didn't have at least a few months lead time on it....

muddy--what year Coronet you working on?I have alot of Coronet stuff

Two 1968 GTXs in equal condition - the numbers matching car will always be worth more.
Agreed - and I'm the one with the non-matching numbers. :)
11116331_997191586960396_1125970810121716141_o.jpg

From a historic/hobby standpoint, we NEED for as many of these special cars to be
as close to as-built as possible - for reference, for future posterity and education,
heck for the backbone of why we all fix them up to begin with!
If none of these cars were "as new".....well, we'd be Chevy owners, I guess. :)
I hate seeing folks take "pedigree" cars and hacking them up, doing late model
swaps in them, that sort of thing - at least try to get them as close to original as
possible I say.
There's plenty of base models out there to customize, after all.

I only target non number's matching cars. Not that I'm anti anything. But the Minnesota cheap comes out in me. And not interested in paying number's matching premiums.

Besides, you have money left over to make the car your own. Back in the day. Nobody gave two cents about all original. It was about what can one do with from their garage.

I believe the "Collectors" that have targeted Muscle era cars are really missing the point of muscle car ownership.

I still appreciate the talents of all number's matching restorations. But just not for me in my opinion.

20210428_154312.jpg
20210408_180052.jpg

Resto-mod; common "car", was 318: now 75 Dodge motorhome 360 .060 with 340 x-heads, 4bbl carb, Ocean/Indigo Blue (modern color), not worth the $$$$ to make it original, so, # match not important to me on this car

I only target non number's matching cars. Not that I'm anti anything. But the Minnesota cheap comes out in me. And not interested in paying number's matching premiums.

Besides, you have money left over to make the car your own. Back in the day. Nobody gave two cents about all original. It was about what can one do with from their garage.

I believe the "Collectors" that have targeted Muscle era cars are really missing the point of muscle car ownership.

I still appreciate the talents of all number's matching restorations. But just not for me in my opinion.
Something else to consider. Suppose you find a survivor car, be it a 383 Road Runner or a Hemi Belvedere like RC has. Do you see what can be done to modify one of those in your garage, or keep it like it is, the way previous owners preserved it?

Something else to consider. Suppose you find a survivor car, be it a 383 Road Runner or a Hemi Belvedere like RC has. Do you see what can be done to modify one of those in your garage, or keep it like it is, the way previous owners preserved it?
In my case all the mods I’ve done are reversible; bolted on and bolt off though a few extra screw holes in the car on the wall and floor. I’m not one to modify the body though liking a stock look. It’s mostly brakes, steering, suspension, elect ig, and a customized console, stereo system 15 inch wheels/radials. Has a later year rear end/axles. If someone wants to return the car to original, can be done. I relish the improved handling, steering, safety, and the extra HP rebuilding the original motor. A pristine original and the way it drove off the assembly line is a preference with some folks. All fine; but not for me driving it as much as I can, sadly not all that much living where I am. I remember the loosy-goosy steering, crappy braking, the poly glass tires that felt like being on ice on wet roads when I got my ride...no thanks.

I agree--Ive been driveing Mopars since 1965 and stock wasnt too impressive--My upgraded engines--transmissions --suspensions and brake are FAR superior to stock but I want the body and interior to look factory new--hell none of my stock cars would hardly reach 120 say nothing about 135 in 3rd gear with 4th and 5th still to go and my cars feel very safe going that fast--no floating or unstable feeling even at hi speed--I cruise 90 to 100 mph for hours and its very comfortable--just have to keep an eye out for troopers--overdrives rule!!!!!

I would love to own a car that was high value numbers matching. I can not afford one and I am ok with that. I will drive what I have and keep it close to original because it is a nice solid car. One day I will come across a car that I am not afraid to cut into and make it my way.

I agree--Ive been driveing Mopars since 1965 and stock wasnt too impressive--My upgraded engines--transmissions --suspensions and brake are FAR superior to stock but I want the body and interior to look factory new--hell none of my stock cars would hardly reach 120 say nothing about 135 in 3rd gear with 4th and 5th still to go and my cars feel very safe going that fast--no floating or unstable feeling even at hi speed--I cruise 90 to 100 mph for hours and its very comfortable--just have to keep an eye out for troopers--overdrives rule!!!!!
Yep OD is nice - wish my car, being a pushbutton, had one more button with "OD" on it!

Auto Transport Service
Back