• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How in the heck do I remove the instrument cluster?

drobertson

Local time
3:14 AM
Reaction score
Ok so I've got a 1973 Charger. All I want to do is pull the instrument cluster to replace the speedometer cable and to install an aftermarket radio. I have heard from some websites that the whole dash needs to be removed, and the steering column dropped. I'm really hoping that I don't have to do that. It doesn't have the rallye gauges. Can I pull the instrument cluster w/o dropping the column and removing the dash? All I could find around the cluster were some screws. I took them out, and the cluster can now wobble a little bit- but still won't come out. I can't even get behind it to disconnect the wires. :angryfire:

You need to drop the steering column down. Unscrew the dash and disconnect the heater/ac controls, head light switch, and start to pull out. The rest is academic.

I have a 2nd gen so it is different, but dropping the steering column was not a big deal. disconnecting the speedo cable is essential, as is making sure the battery is disconnected, and as (maybe) is putting a towel or something on the steering column so it isn't scratched up by the cluster. I had to lay my cluster down on the column to disconnect and reconnect wiring. My guess is that it is not as bad a task as it seems.

Correct no need for removal but if you must your probably getting hung up on the two bottom screws that hold the cluster in that everyone brakes bend under and look around near the column there will be inner framework the screws will be in there ether side of the column also the column Is super easy just drop the 4 nuts and let it hang it won't get hurt the a/c control s are a bit of a pain your best and easiest bet is unscrew the control unit and leave everything connected that way theres no mistakes then when your readyb just stick it back in . . It's very simple any ?'s just p.m. me .
But again the dash can stay together to do these two jobs good luck

Ok I will go ahead and take another look. I did undo the screws beneath the cluster next to the steering column. How do I drop the column??? I'm a little confused by that. Pics would help.

Here is a pic from below. Take out the 3 fasteners which pass through the nylon slides. The mounting bracket can stay attached to the column 007.jpg

Again though, if all you are doing is installing a radio and replacing the cable, you dont have to fool with removing or even loosening the panel. Removing is a PITA. Just uncouple the cable from the back of the speedo by contorting yourself and carefully reaching a hand up there, with a well aimed light so you can see it, and disconnect it.

Auto Transport Service
Back