• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many of your personal cars ended up in junkyards?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:23 PM
Reaction score
My first one did! 1969 Dart 318 I bought for $400 in 1982. I drove it a little more than a year then sold it for a Dart Sport.

1707096886029.png

About six months after selling it, I saw it at a U-Pull-It partially stripped. It wasn't wrecked, it must have developed some mechanical issue the new owner didn't want to fix.
It was a sad moment. A guy I was with got the taillights and instrument cluster from it that day.
What about you? What have you sold or wrecked that ended up in the junkyard?

69 Fury II and 76 Fury Sport. The 76 went first with the springs up through the trunk!

Seeing your own car rotting away after selling it, thinking the new owner liked it enough to keep it going.....

01 face 41.jpg

I thought you meant by me?

1977 Dodge Diplomat 318 (no title, failed water pump, rusty but it had leather seats!)
1984 Dodge 1/2 ton Prospector (318 fuel system was hammered, front end was loose rusty)
1984 Plymouth Gran Fury 318 (Timing chain jumped, getting rusty)
1983 Plymouth Gran Fury 225 (frame hole, gas tank leaked, ran drove pretty well 26 years old)
1991 Plymouth Gran Voyager 3.3 (transmission AWD)
1990 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 (transmission)
2000 Dodge Intrepid 3.5 HO (motor failure at 262,000)

Seems like there were others???

We tend to buy new and keep forever, but here’s a few of them:
Late seventies/early eighties I had a ‘69 mustang coupe. Mild 289. Absolutely loved that car. Broke a steering arm. Being in the arctic we don’t have y’all’s access to parts. I bought a running, driving but rough ‘67 Cougar, took the steering arm off for my ‘stang and junked the rest of the car. Uh huh.
Wife and I bought a new ‘99 Subaru Legacy Outback. Excellent car, much better the new Subaru’s. Drove it for exactly twenty years until it developed the infamous head gasket leak. Was still in excellent condition. Sold it to wife’s coworker telling him the car works fine, just top up the antifreeze every three days. Lazy prick didn’t and junked an otherwise excellent car.
Everything else ran well after I sold them, including my first “good” vehicle. It was a ‘86 Chev half ton with a 4.3 and four speed. Fantastic truck. Sold it with 425 thousand showing and it was well over 500,000km the last I heard of it.

Unfortunately it wasn’t the junkyard, it was a drool bucket on Facebook. I had a 1974 dodge d200 club cab, needed a title and rewired. I decided to pursue a different truck, so I put it up for sale. Mr drool bucket calls and says him and his son would love to work on it, it would be a great shop truck, talked on and on and on how much fun it would be. A week later it was on Facebook market place being parted out. After more digging, it turns out he’s just a flipper

I had just graduated high school and bought the X in late ‘71. I had little $$. Living in Mpls I never drove the car in the winter and obviously needed a way to get around during the off seasons. I would buy an old beater to het me thru the bad weather seasons. I mean I really drove some rat traps costing everywhere from $10 - $150. Most would barely make it thru the winter. The worst one was an old Cadillac I paid $10 for. The front frame was broken and had to be tied up with ski rope. The drivers door would fall off if you tried to open it - had to enter/exit the passenger side. Beat to **** ride. The best one was a Chevy station wagon I paid $150 for. It lasted thru all my college years winters. But in the end they all met their makers - I junked every last one of them when they reached the point of no return. Must of had about 10 of these life savers. Living on a shoe string…. Those were the days……

It amazes me to think of people intentionally driving the cars we now lust after....in conditions that would make anyone cringe today!

My 98 2500 Extended cab long bed did, it was a good truck.. Guy was backing up a hill in a box body truck in the rain around a bend to go back and pick through recycling!!! I drove it home as it happened about a mile away but had to unhook the trailer full of equipment and pick that up with another truck. I drove very slow cause that left front wheel wanted to lock onto the bumper when turning right...

1707144546999.jpeg

My first one did! 1969 Dart 318 I bought for $400 in 1982. I drove it a little more than a year then sold it for a Dart Sport.

View attachment 1603937

About six months after selling it, I saw it at a U-Pull-It partially stripped. It wasn't wrecked, it must have developed some mechanical issue the new owner didn't want to fix.
It was a sad moment. A guy I was with got the taillights and instrument cluster from it that day.
What about you? What have you sold or wrecked that ended up in the junkyard?
Probably many end up at the scrap yard eventually, but yours Kern was still a good, operational car when you sold it ?

A few.

The one I want back, though is the 73 rallye 318 Challenger.

Knowing what I know now, I could have fixed that car.

I still have the title and VIN plate.

It would have looked like this when new/restored.
(except for the 340 emblem)

1707146398458.png

Pic borrowed from FEBO.

Also that color combo was also used in an ad-

1707146752823.png

I paid $500 in 1989.
Got hit by an old lady in 1990, and got $600 from her insurance.
I gave it to my favorite family owned U-Pull yard after stripping the hood, 3.23 SG rear, the nice bucket seats, rallye wheels, slap stick console and a few other things.

Last edited:
3 did .
1st was a 70 mach that rolled over a couple turns. Insurance took the complete car.
Then a 74 ford f250 high boy that stayed upright but relocated the front axle up under the cowl area.
3rd was my old 82 1 ton dodge 4x4 plow truck. It rusted away. I stripped it 1st.

I parted out and junked 2 67 B's in the mid 90's.

The blue Belv II was a cheap beater, 318/727, that I drove while restoring my Satellite. Kept it going with parts off the Satellite that I was replacing. It had been wrecked and repaired with parts off a 66 and bondo.
1989-006.jpeg

The Satellite conv. was a 383-2, 727 rust bucket that needed pretty much all new sheet metal .
2020-03-11_11-02-28.jpg

I pulled a lot of parts off them before they went to the junkyard, but I didn't have the space then to keep everything. I sometimes wish I had kept them or at least kept a lot more parts.

We also had an 87 Charger that ended up in the junkyard. "Sold" it to a "friend" for the promise of $500 worth of work on my cars. Never got any work done. He never transferred the title and then abandoned it on the side of the road so I got stuck with the $450 towing & impound bill. They junked it.

Learned an expensive lesson on the need to verify title transfer. At least he didn't hit or kill anyone with it.

A few for me:
1968 Charger 383 car, parted out everything.
1976 New Yorker 4 door, pulled 440 & trans.
1976 New Yorker 4 door, pulled 440 &Trans.
1968 Dodge pick up, pulled 383, trans & Dana
1974 Chrysler wagon, pulled 440 & trans
1976 Chrysler wagon, pulled 400 & Trans
1977 class A motorhome, pulled 440 & trans.
1978 class C motorhome, pulled 440 & trans.

Last edited:
The only one I'm sure about is my old T-Bird. I came across it at the Pick-A-Part years after selling it. Positive ID was made by the small "KUZZ" sticker that was on the back bumper when I bought it from friends in Bakersfield (I kinda liked the guitar logo decal so I left it on).
Too bad, it was a nice car in it's day!

‘69 LTD- smoked by a drunk driver so I sold the 390 and C6 and sent the remains to the scrap yard

‘66 Galaxie 500 - frame rusted beyond repair so I sold the 289 and trans before scrapping it.

‘68 GMC - rusted beyond repair sold the 250 inline six and scrapped it.

‘69 and ‘70 Chargers - so rusted that I parted both out and scrapped what little was left. Both would’ve been repairable with the sheet metal that’s available today.

Used to part cars so lots of them.....but the only one that was in my name and drove as a daily was a 67 Dart. Had a lot of fun with that car even though it was a /6 3 speed stick with 3.91 gears. It was also my first car of many that got a straight pipe.

It amazes me to think of people intentionally driving the cars we now lust after....in conditions that would make anyone cringe today!
What also amazes me is how we got by with two wheel drive. Seems everything these days is 4WD or AWD, yet even in the arctic 4WD wasn’t very common when I was a kid. Or air conditioning.

Auto Transport Service
Back