• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many B/RB engines were produced?

Shorthorse

Local time
1:17 AM
Reaction score
First, let me explain my question. I recently purchased a set of brand name "Universal" spark plug wires for my race car (RB block). I bought the universal set so I could control the length and routing of each plug, nothing fancy. Upon installation I found out that the three longest wires would not reach plugs 3, 5, and 7. The wires intended for 5 and 7 were the same length so I used one to make plug wire 3 which left me short on 5 and 7. I E-mailed customer service of my issue, hoping for some sort of resolution. They were unwilling to offer any solution except to buy two more individual wires ($28 each) which, when sold individually, come with a 60 inch lead. The part that got me was in the reply, the rep. stated, "We are not going to have tested this set of wires on every vehicle to know that this issue would happen to you." We've had a couple of E-mail exchanges back and forth and I have accepted my fate but I but I would like to reply with one final E-mail. That's why I would like to have a number of all B and RB engines produced. I'm bothered more by his statement than the wires. Mopar guys don't like to get slighted.

Millions with stock manifolds and various routings.
So depends on where you put #1 and index the distributor and your routing preference.
1682707405259.jpeg

1682707699243.png

My best guess would be in the 5 million area

It's a real common classic car engine for people to buy parts for.

F them, and F spending any more money with them.....EVER.

...and you know what they say about bad publicity.

I would guess 5-7 million, even including the motorhome and industrial engines after Mopar sold the tooling for the motors. Mopar gets no love from most vendors, I find more proper options for my '57 392 Hemi than I do for B/RB's. In the past I have ordered a spool of plug wire and crimped my own ends and installed the boots. Only way I could get a set of wires that were all the proper length.

The numbers I heard were 5 to 1, 383 to 440. 400s even less than 440. I don't know actual quantities.
I bought some excellent wires (msd) on closeout , from summit. They were intended for a big block Ford. Nowhere near long enough for a bbm, but they'll work great on my rat motor.
I then found a summit brand bbm specific set, and bought them too. Plain white box type, but real good quality wire and ends, and plenty of length for 5 and 7, either underneath or above the vc and around the back. (Typical c-body routing). I suspect they are name brand wires, with summits name on em. (Taylor? Msd?).

Back around 76 I saw a Direct Connection flyer that suggested over three million 383's and about a million 440's.... Plus 350's, 361's, 400's 413's & 426's.... So yeah easily five million....

What ???? We used to do ignition wires back in the day, using aftermarket brands ( Accel, Mallory, etc. ) and I never,ever,ever had a brand (whether it was engine-specific, or we had to custon-fit), not entirely fit the engine we were doing !! What brand are you referring to ?

Most MFG-

It fits a small block chevy. I don't understand what your problem is.

I read somewhere that they made 3-4 million 383s, 3/4 million 440s. Then there is all the other sizes in between. So 6-7 million would be a good round number. Kim

What brand wires are these?

I haven't had to get any in some time. the last set I bought was these, for my 2001 Ram with 360 magnum:
Dodge/Chrysler LiveWires – Performance Distributors

They were really nice and fit well. They also do not have enough shielding for factory radio lol, so bare in mind. On an older car with a newer stereo wired in I doubt it would be an issue.

Thank everybody for the replies. I wasn't going to name names but they were Accel "universal" wires with the ceramic spark plug ends. I liked the idea of the ceramic ends, especially with headers and the fact that they don't wiggle around like rubber ends when trying to install. You know when they are seated.
The problem is that Holley has gobbled up just about all the old common name brands and more. No matter what the box says it's the same company. Just look up the "Holley family of brands". It's amazing. So I'm guessing that the bean counters have also dictated the direction of customer service and we are the recipients.

Thank everybody for the replies. I wasn't going to name names but they were Accel "universal" wires with the ceramic spark plug ends. I liked the idea of the ceramic ends, especially with headers and the fact that they don't wiggle around like rubber ends when trying to install. You know when they are seated.
The problem is that Holley has gobbled up just about all the old common name brands and more. No matter what the box says it's the same company. Just look up the "Holley family of brands". It's amazing. So I'm guessing that the bean counters have also dictated the direction of customer service and we are the recipients.
Yup.
When Bill Gates won his anti-trust lawsuit in the 90's the precedent was set for this type of thing to happen. The worst part is wait until they pass some law restricting aftermarket and this globalist shill company caves and discontinues stuff. Suddenly, all these brands will get snuffed.

ACCEL used to be a fierce rivalry with MSD. lol, now look. Mallory used to be top notch. Oops.

The ones I bought are at least still separate from that globalist monstrosity.

@polsled

You disagree with BBM being a common classic car engine build?

Or that the common corporate aftermarket automotive mentality favors the sbc, sometimes to the detriment of others?

Or my opinion on how I vote with my wallet?

@polsled

You disagree with BBM being a common classic car engine build?

Or that the common corporate aftermarket automotive mentality favors the sbc, sometimes to the detriment of others?

Or my opinion on how I vote with my wallet?
I'm betting on scrolling error. I've done it on my phone too many times.

I'm betting on scrolling error. I've done it on my phone too many times.

Whole hell of a lot of that going around lately.

Just calling it to the member's attention.

Some members will go back and fix it- those get a "thanks" from me.

Some won't. That's just not nice.

I remember the DC info saying about 3 million 383 and .75 million 440 were made so I agree with around 5 million total.

Auto Transport Service
Back