• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many new vehicles have you bought?

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:47 PM
Reaction score
Most of my stuff was bought used with my newest used vehicle being a 97 Dodge 2500 diesel that I bought in 2001 iirc and still have it. Even my first car was a family 'hand me down' but that was only 3 years old and was a 66 Belvedere. My last wife got a new Durango that I surprised her with and it was ordered with just about everything possible for a 2wd but my first new vehicle of any kind for me was an 81 Honda CB750 Custom. Even my first bike was bought used....and I guess I can say my 95 Dakota is a hand me down because I got it in 98 when dad moved on to the happy hunting grounds. The only new vehicles bought for me by me was the bike and a 92 Dakota V8 with 3.90 gears.

Maybe 4 or 5 including a 98 Dakota with a V6…..got into a lot of trouble with that truck.
Always seemed like a had a local cop, sheriff of trooper following me.
The used cars were more fun….:thumbsup:

I have never owned a new car. All my old cars have been pre 1973 that I drive in spring, summer. Any fall,winter beaters are the disposable fwd toyotas. Those are mid 90s cars. Use them up, then scrap ..

Never a new one. The newest when purchased is my 1993 Dodge pickup that I bought the first week of January 1995. I still have it...
2018061695100705 (1).jpg

Not a single one. My daily driver is a late 80's rice burner truck. Had a ford ranger for about a month that was a 90's truck if i remember correctly. Got it for $2500 and sold it for $4500. That was the newest rig i've ever owned.

Zero

The closest I've come is two 2.5 year old vehicles.

To me, that's the sweet spot where the factory warranty is still active but the depreciation is at near max value vs remaining service life.

I have never owned a new car. All my old cars have been pre 1973 that I drive in spring, summer. Any fall,winter beaters are the disposable fwd toyotas. Those are mid 90s cars. Use them up, then scrap ..
Me too. I have bought 3 year old vehicles. My brain has a hard time with absorbing the big depreciation that occurs in the first 3 years of car ownership. (It's what I call. "Minnesota cheap.")

My 1st was a 76 RS Camaro 350 4 speed,
Black & white 2 tone
new off the lot in the summer of 1977
it was NOS
specially ordered for the owner, it sat in the showroom for a year

I bought a 78 Z28 new in Oct. 78, just after the 79's were coming in
got a steal on it
I'd have bought a MoPar Dodge/Plymouth car
but they had almost nothing but trucks back then

I Bought several new Dodge Ramchargers or Plymouth Traildusters
80's into 90's as personal rigs

I have bought probably 20 new "personal" cars/trucks
over the years

I'm on my 111th car (yes I made & kept a list)
most were older Muscle cars
some older trucks 4x4's Jeeps
or PowerWagons & Ramchargers
(26 racecars)
Haven't bought any new **** in almost 20 years, 2002 or 1999
for my sister's 2017 Chrysler 300C with my dad, it's not mine thou
Me, just a couple of old 68 RR's, since about 2001-2005 (I'm on #13 RRs)

I did buy a new off the lot
98 2500 12 valve 5.9 Cummins Power Ram 5 speed
after I had previously bought a lease return with 1500 miles,
95 pretty-much the same rig
put 350k+ miles on both
all kinds of custom touches, tires & lifts
I was buying a new truck & car about every 2-3 years, since 1977
trucks especially, put a lot of towing & commuting miles on them

I had kids I bought or helped buy, cars, trucks & Jeeps for too
most weren't new
A couple were I cosigned for...

my newest vehicle now is a
02 F-350 4x4 Powerstroke Diesel Dually 5 speed
it has about 150k on it (my dad uses it more than me)

my Daily Driver is 22 years old now, wow how time flies
she's still near mint, with just over 60k miles
a 99 Dakota SLT 4x4 5.2ltr, new off the lot
(My favorite vehicle, I love the lil' truck)
it only had 1,900 miles the Sales manager, only drove it locally
It was org. a sales demo
With a bunch of minor mods, better slotted/drilled brakes, bigger tires,
1.7:1 HS rockers, Hypertech tuner, AEM airbox/swirl spacer, gauze filter etc.

for my facility management company I've bought/leased
probably 35-40-ish work trucks, probably another dozen flatbeds
Fords, Chevy/GMCs or Dodges/Rams

I did contract out & work for a large dealership group
most my adult life, with spells of different stuff in between
I got some great deals on quite a few

Last edited:
Two:
1) 2006 Toyota Tundra
2) 2016 Dodge Ram 1500

Don't need a new vehicle because i have 3 mopars to keep me broke!

Zero. Newest vehicles I bought were an '85 Daytona Turbo in '88 and the '04 Dakota Quad Cab SLT in '08. Still have it with 158k. All the rest were '60's/early '70's mopars.

To many to count..
But my first one was a 1969 Hemi SuperBee !

1978 VW Dasher. Worst German POS I ever owned.
2009 Challenger R/T. Shoulda kept it.
2020 Redeye. All good.
2021 Scatpack Charger. All good.
Drove junk for 30 years to get here.

2004 Chevy Silverado LS 1500 mid optioned.
2005 Harley Davidson Road King Classic ( when I paid off my house mortgage it was my present to myself ) and will keep till I'm gone.
2006 Chevy Silverado LT 1500 fully optioned that I presently have and will keep and just turned 120,000 miles on.

I bought a ’73 340 Challenger in ’74 that was a demo with 3k on it. Only brandy new car was an ’89 Eagle for the wife’s driver that was a mistake…got a deal on it thru a relative working at a mopar dealership; but bad timing for that ride, total POS with inherent electrical demons I dumped a couple grand fixing selling it before it had 60k on it.

For some 20 years I had company cars and bought a few of them after turn-in time for the wife and kids. I moved on to buying few year old rides with lower mileage that worked well over the decades, avoiding insane depreciation for my own-biz cars after I left the company giving me company rides. And getting X warranties has worked great on more occasions than not. Had a motor repair costing $4800 that was covered, another (my 1st Ram) trans went out 2 months before warranty expired $2,900 covered…among two others I recall offhand.

I bought an ‘03 Aurora as my biz ride in ’05 with 10k on it. Paid $22k…this luxury ride new costing $40k.

Now – checking around on new and newer trucks the prices are too nuts for my taste. Could fork out; but also going to build another garage. Have an ’05 Dakota Laramie well optioned, AWD now with 83k on it I bought in 2015 getting rusteee. Decided I’d do a body transplant rust-free box and repop fenders and drive it till I’m done. Being retired now the miles I used to drive have dropped like a rock anyway. The box I got for a grand is like new. Undercoating all and taking it to a shop for paint.

Dakota 1 (2).jpg Dakota 2 (2).jpg Dakota 3 (2).jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back