• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many new vehicles have you bought?

I also tend to run the hell out of them until they aren't even worth selling.

I just can't see making $500 a month plus car payments plus full coverage insurance payments and trading in every 3-4 years for the rest of my life.

My average seems to be buying a 2.5 year old vehicle every 10-15 years.

That also seems to keep a lot of money in my pocket

5 new:

- My 1991 Daytona C/S competition package car (one of 150 total, 1 of 26 in my colors). Still own it, 74k miles. Got a smokin' deal, even as a 19 year old, because NOBODY in the DC area wanted a 5 speed manual.
- A '99 Ram 2500 cummins. Sold it to refi my house when it needed a new roof.
- An '05 Magnum R/T hemi, for my (now ex)wife. Totalled at 36k when a bimbo ran a stop sign. Bought it back, it's the donor car for my (eventual) GenIII swap into my 72 Satellite wagon
- An '05 Ram 2500 Cummins. Needed a work truck, just got married, had 2 incomes...gave it to her in the divorce so she could put a deposit on a house ("wait...I give you the truck, you go away? Let me get the title...").
(both the '05s were leftovers, got good pricing on them)
- My 14 Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel. I'd been looking at them when they announced they were coming to the US. I was packing my '01 Cummins (bought used at under 200k, currently has 280 on it) for the annual trip to FL to visit family...and the clutch pedal broke, nearly sending the truck through the rear wall of my garage (you don't stall a cummins; fortunately I was coherent enough to turn the key off before it went through the wall). Went and got the Jeep the next day, packed it that night, drove it to FL the following day.

Used cars? Jeez....
72 Satellite station wagon (still have)
86 Shelby Omni GLHS (still have)
90 Voyager factory turbo (still have)
70 Charger 500 (still have)
01 Ram 2500 cummins/6 speed stick (still have)
87 Shelby CSX
91 Spirit R/T
71 Satellite Sebring
72 D200 crew cab long bed 360
85 D350 crew cab long bed SRW 360
66 Imperial 3 on the tree big block (383 maybe? I forget...)
74 (?) Jeep DJ-5 mail jeep ($5)
69 Beetle ($17)
76 Volare /6 factory air ($28)
77 Adventurer panel van
90 Daytona Shelby
89 Shelby CSX-VNT
92 Wrangler YJ 4.0/5 speed
98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
92 XJ 4.0/auto ($200)
99 (?) 300M
65 Barracuda 273/auto
90 Dakota 3.9/5 speed
90 Spirit ES turbo
88 Daytona turbo (base)
87 Shelby Lancer turbo/automatic
unknown year M35A2 deuce and a half

....I think that covers it....

(no wonder I never have any money!)

1988 Ford Taurus SHO
1992 Ford Taurus SHO

As near as I can tell in those years Chrysler really made no cars worth having. The SHOs were a blast.

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 - 6 cyl 6 speed manual

2015 Dodge Grand Caravan (I donated it to a charity in 2019 and bought an ex Chrysler executive lease return - 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan - my daily driver)

2021 Corvette 2LT (I traded the Corvette for a Hellcat and then traded the Hellcat for a Redeye)
I bought a new 92 Dakota 5.2 and ran up against a Taurus SHO and beat it....and that surprised me until I looked up the stats on them. I thought they were much faster. Sure wish I could find another reg cab short box 5.2....

You were racing in reverse?
:D
Ran the Dakota at the track and it turned a 16.60....don't remember the mph but wasn't much need to lol. I know a Prius isn't fast but neither is a 16.60 lol

I bought a new 92 Dakota 5.2 and ran up against a Taurus SHO and beat it....and that surprised me until I looked up the stats on them. I thought they were much faster. Sure wish I could find another reg cab short box 5.2....

Hard to believe but in the "horsepower wars" (not) of the late '80's and early '90's the 220 HP in the Taurus SHO was a LOT of power. It was a really great highway cruiser. I remember one day I was on the road and all of a sudden there were a bunch of cars going along at a good clip. Drove about 60 miles at around 125 mph. The SHO would top out at 143 mph. It also had a really great exhaust note.

Ran the Dakota at the track and it turned a 16.60....don't remember the mph but wasn't much need to lol. I know a Prius isn't fast but neither is a 16.60 lol

I never tracked the SHO but at the time I recall the magazines said it would run a 15.6 in the quarter.

3 - All of them ordered the way I wanted them. Prior to 2001, newest car I had was a 1976 Plymouth Fury Sport.
2001 Dakota R/T (sold it in 2014)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack (totaled by a red light runner)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack 1320

I'd take my Spirit R/T (2.2 intercooled turbo, 16v Lotus cylinder head, DOHC, Garrett turbocharger, 224hp stock, 5 speed manual) over an SHO anyday.

Especially after upping the boost from factory 11psi to 18psi (stock injectors), or better yet, 24psi (Mopar Performance +40 injectors, MP SBEC ECM, and 2.5" mandrel exhaust)! I loved that car - surprised a LOT of people with it!

Only thing I didn't like about the R/T motor - and the reason I got rid of it finally - was it was an interference motor. The SOHC 8v turbo engines are non-interference - break a belt and it just stops. Break a belt on the R/T and you're hunting for valves and maybe pistons. No bueno, especially once parts started getting (more) scarce.

I'd take my Spirit R/T (2.2 intercooled turbo, 16v Lotus cylinder head, DOHC, Garrett turbocharger, 224hp stock, 5 speed manual) over an SHO anyday.

Especially after upping the boost from factory 11psi to 18psi (stock injectors), or better yet, 24psi (Mopar Performance +40 injectors, MP SBEC ECM, and 2.5" mandrel exhaust)! I loved that car - surprised a LOT of people with it!

Only thing I didn't like about the R/T motor - and the reason I got rid of it finally - was it was an interference motor. The SOHC 8v turbo engines are non-interference - break a belt and it just stops. Break a belt on the R/T and you're hunting for valves and maybe pistons. No bueno, especially once parts started getting (more) scarce.

Fit a family of 5 in your Spirit with luggage and then tell me the same thing!

Remember sho is special handling operations.

I remember when gm was touting it's 303 HP FWD powertrain.

I had a monte carlo with that engine come up and try to pass my 245 HP 4200# Dakota at 60 MPH.

He couldn't do it and I walked away from him to about 95.

Another reasonably quick vehicle in the early 90s was the Dodge Daytona IROC, pulling 14.8 quarter miles with the 224 hp. turbo engine. I didn't quite get one...
cardb.com%2fuploads%2fpostfotos%2f1992-dodge-daytona-iroc-rt-factory-pilot-car-shelby-lotus-t3-1.jpg

I never tracked the SHO but at the time I recall the magazines said it would run a 15.6 in the quarter.
My Dakota ran a 15.30 with 200 miles on the clock. Wanted to make sure it was broke in lol. I did order it with 3.90's and limited slip and that was good money spent! The down side to it was it had terrible under steer while the V6 trucks were MUCH closer to neutral and the US on the V8 truck was a big surprise when I pushed it into a near spin out after punching it into a turn and then trying to drive out of it. I got out of being nearly sideways only by getting back into the gas hard but then it went the other way lol. I quit trying to make it act like a sports car and wondered why the truck was called a sport.....

A buddy of mine had a Spirit RT and yeah, that thing surprised me even before he did some mods to it. At the time my wife and I were running dealer trades and some of the runs were well over 300 miles one way and got to drive some of the 'cooler' cars at the time. That was a pretty good gig until my wife and some friends of hers took some cars to Louisiana and one of them backed into one of the other cars doing damage to both. They stopped for a breakfast gab.....man, just deliver the cars and then stop on the way back with the return ride. Can't even drive 150 miles without stopping for one reason or another....

Another reasonably quick vehicle in the early 90s was the Dodge Daytona IROC, pulling 14.8 quarter miles with the 224 hp. turbo engine. I didn't quite get one...
View attachment 1162028
Yep, same engine as the Spirit R/T (in the IROC R/T, anyway - the IROC was just a trim package). But the Spirit was quicker because believe it or not, it was lighter. The Lotus engine was '91/92 in the Spirit, and '92 only in the Daytona.

Yep, same engine as the Spirit R/T (in the IROC R/T, anyway - the IROC was just a trim package). But the Spirit was quicker because believe it or not, it was lighter. The Lotus engine was '91/92 in the Spirit, and '92 only in the Daytona.
Oh, I can believe the Spirit was lighter. :) But I thought the Daytona had the Lotus engine in 1993 as well (341 built for '92 and 212 for '93), and was used in Mexico too, being installed in the Spirit from 91-94 in that country. Mexico also got the Lotus engine in a sport version of the LeBaron Coupe, called the Phantom for 92-93.

You are correct, Daytona R/T was 92-93. Sorry. Never really looked at the later Daytonas - I love my '91 CS, and I much prefer my pop-up headlights to the bubble-shaped 92/93 bodies.

I've bought 4 new cars one when I was 18-19 a
06 Mitsubishi eclipse gt V6 6 speed 263hp 260 touq fwd . Loved that car meet my wife with that car .
2012 sonata lemon lawed it after a few months (brake issues)
2013 Mitsubishi galant (replacement for sonata)(hated this car)
Then I bought a 2015 Mazda CX-9 grand touring fwd V6
Bought this one when we found out we had a baby coming ! (Love this car) (still have it )

Lots of slightly used cars I won't buy a new car anymore to much loss .

Usually when you buy a new car it is for a loss as soon as you drive it off the lot, I was surprised to see when I looked my wife’s 2021 Kia telluride Sx is going for 10k+ over sticker price with 10-30k mikes on them. It won’t last but very unusual. We paid 45 out the door for ours with 30 miles on it.

2DBEB7EA-3052-470A-B6EB-CE4CFD72040F.png

Everything used is high right now, because nobody can get new. Dealers need inventory. Around here, dealers are shopping Fakebook Marketplace just to get stuff on the lots.

Everything used is high right now, because nobody can get new. Dealers need inventory. Around here, dealers are shopping Fakebook Marketplace just to get stuff on the lots.
And cars are being stolen left and right around here. My 96 Dakota is pretty nice still and I'm getting a bit skeert to leave it in a parking lot so it gets to sit more. I'm about to go to HEB for a pick up and was going to drive it until it just rained....and of course it's clean. Beater time again.

Auto Transport Service
Back