• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much Basecoat and clear coat will I need ?

rustytoolss

Local time
12:03 PM
Reaction score
I've got a 62 Plymouth Fury wagon. Plan on doing a color change (white to Burgundy/ with white roof). Trying to figure out the amount of material I will need. I will be painting the engine bay, all five door jambs and lower body Burgundy...and the roof Ermine white. This is not a show car just a nice old driver. The car will be painted with Basecoat / clearcoat.
fury7.jpg

If you're after a specially mixed colour, I suggest two gallons of base coat....you'll have a half tin or less remaining, but re-mixing and colour-matching will really be annoying if you don't get finished on one tin.

And for clear - it all depends on how many coats you want to do......I went 10 coats on my GTX....but that's me. Probably need two gallons again.

Two gallons of paint and 1 gallon of clear. Plus reducer for each. 1 gallon of primer and reducer for it.

I'd go 2 gallons of the burgandy, 1 gallon of white........ a little left over is a good thing

Always have enough mixed for repairs, at the same time.

I agree with 2 gallons of base coat. I would intermix the 2 gallons together first though to make sure there's no variation of color between the two gallons.

I agree if you get two gallons of color then mix them together to have the same color overall. Base coat is equal to two gallons when thinned. I used Matrix paint on my car. Three coats of clear was sprayed after base coat. Base coat should dry for about five hours after spraying before you spray the clear. Two coats of base coat is what you need.

When you say " Base coat is equal to two gallons when thinned" you mean that EACH gallon thinned will equal to two gallions of paint...correct ?

basecoat gets reduced anywhere from 50 to 100% depending on manufacturer and painter's preference.........it takes me almost 2 full gallons of unreduced base coat to cover a 68-70 B body including hood compartment, jambs, undersides of hood and trunk lid, and trunk compartment (I try not to waste too much in the trunk compartment) ; these cars got vinyl top and primer underside, so if painting roof and underside I'd get 3 gallons.

one too one on the base coat. That is what Matrix paint says on the can. One part thinner and one part paint. Do not reduce the clear. That stuff was expensive enough. But tried to buy the best on the market. PPG paint.

Having "sticker shock" on paint, clear, and all materials needed !

many paint co seem to have a less expensive line available........ ie; Akzo Nobel makes Sikkens > Lesanol > Wanda; BASF makes Glasurit > Diamont > Limco....ect

you can shop around and find a quality base coat from a major company and use Southern Polyurethanes Clear over top......

Southern poly also makes a very nice epoxy primer that can be used exclusively throughout the job

I have an Akzo Nobel dealer near me, and have used their Wanda line of base coat on several jobs with zero issues

there's a substancial amount of money to be saved or wasted, depending on which way you go

Wanda - Home

You have to tell us... how much is it?

It depends on what for base your going to use. Example- i use PPGs shopline base its cheaper but thinner. I only reduce it 60/40 Some colors i reduce less. Now PPGs good base DBC is thicker & i reduce that 50/50 If i was ordering base/clear for your car i would get 2gal of the red & 2 qts of the white. When it comes to the clear & that size of a car i would get 2 1/2 gals of clear. I would spray 3 coats of clear on the outside & 2 in all the jambs. Why 3 coats. Just in case you decide to wet sand & buff. Now the clear i use doesnt get reduced. Its 4:1 with the hardener I use PPGs 4000 clear. Its expensive but awesome clear.

Just to add I used the yellow tape bought through my auto paint supplier. The hardware stores do not sell it. Used the 3m window plastic for tape off areas that you do not want painted. Had to watch out for after paint dries the plastic will want to shed the paint. So had to change it often. Tack rags are a must. There is some controversy about using the wipe down or prep cleaner. Use rubbing Alcohol Isopropyl. Is a better choice. What everyone for gets is all the supplies needed to do the job. Over and above the cost of the paint. Now are you going to use filers like skim coat to make the body straight. I would advise you to let it dry for quite a while before putting your sealer over it. If you have never painted before would suggest watching My friend petes video on U tube painting a car by yourself. SWRNC gives you good directions on it. That wagon is a big car. Thought my runner was not that big of a car till I started on it. LOL.

You have to tell us... how much is it?
Earlier this year I priced paint in the burgundy color I want to use (factory 1962 plymouth color). In single stage it was like $260 a gallon with reducer, as a basecoat the price was $389 a gallon. So but the time I buy 2 gallons of burgundy base coat, white for the roof, reducer and clear...I,m sure it will be about $1000. I'm sure that alot to alot of you guys, that sounds reasonable. But this car is never going to be a show car, just a nice OLD wagon with a 318 poly , just a driver. Starting to think that Single stage might be more in the budget.

Auto Transport Service
Back