• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinion ? 1962 Plymouth (Fury wagon) Base coat clear coat...or Single stage..??????

I just want to see it when it's done !!!
I'm hoping for that day myself..without a doubt,..this is my last build ! getting to old for this, You think by now I would have known better...like the old quote " come out to the coast, we'll have a few laughs" (diehard)

.this is my last build ! getting to old for this,
Glad I'm not the only one. But (gotta throw a but in there) I said the same with the 63 in my avatar.
I keep telling myself "Do not paint it.Leave it the way you found it . It's just a beater,it's just a beater".
P.S. I like the way your car looks now !

Glad I'm not the only one. But (gotta throw a but in there) I said the same with the 63 in my avatar.
I keep telling myself "Do not paint it.Leave it the way you found it . It's just a beater,it's just a beater".
P.S. I like the way your car looks now !
Sometimes I'm real tempted to just leave it as I bought it. But someone at somepoint painted the engine bay Black (as you know not cool on a mopar). And if that was not enough, they painted the top of the fenders & hood flat black also. I just have mocked up a Vintage Air system. So I kind of need to paint the engine bay, as for the rest of the car... I'm still just unsure. Sure wish the P.O. had not painted the Engine bay, hood, fenders. I have improved the car (the power booster was bad, it has disc brakes, the door panels and front seat were redone. But I do have to paint the engine bay before I install AC hoses.
fury15.jpg
fury6.jpg
fury5.jpg

Last edited:
painted the engine bay Black
Same here. The car was originally white. Found it on Craigs list Tucson Az.
The photos the car was white. When I got there to pick it up the car was primer grey with a black engine bay.
I almost left without it but needed it as a parts car to finish another.
My car has a LA 318 in it now and I just installed Vintage Air kit that I got from Speedway Motors.
It's a under dash with heat and air and works surprisingly well in 100*+ weather.
Had her out yesterday.It was 102* at Lake Mead.

Last edited:
yes, it is a metallic paint color. Never knew about NO wet sanding metallic sihgle stage..thanks for the tip.
With any Mettalic, BC/CC is usually advised unless you have a real good spray booth and can lay down paint bug and dust nib free and really smooth. But for solids I’ve used PPG Concept single stage and except for mixing 3 components together vs 2 components and the additional PPE requirements (I used an air supplied respirator) it has a lot of similarities to doing old school lacquer. Except it’s far more durable and easier to maintain. It sands and polishes out easily to a lustrous finish.

If your friend is going to paint the car have him tell you what paint to use for the whole project. Too many suggestions will sour the project.

Last edited:
Same here. The car was originally white. Found it on Craigs list Tucson Az.
The photos the car was white. When I got there to pick it up the car was primer grey with a black engine bay.
I almost left without it but needed it as a parts car to finish another.
My car has a LA 318 in it now and I just installed Vintage Air kit that I got from Speedway Motors.
It's a under dash with heat and air and works surprisingly well in 100*+ weather.
Had her out yesterday.It was 102* at Lake Mead.
I was out in the garage today looking at the ugly black paint on my fenders and hood, ...so I grabbed a can of gray primer . The gray primer is so much closer to the ermine white (but then again I'm somewhat color blind) than to black from when I bought the car. Your input gave me hope again for my old Fury wagon. Now to get that engine bay painted...The rest of the car will be painted sometime down the road.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back