• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinion ? 1962 Plymouth (Fury wagon) Base coat clear coat...or Single stage..??????

rustytoolss

Local time
4:32 AM
Reaction score
I'm doing a color change from Ermine White..to Luminous Cordovan/ and a Ermine White top. It took me over 2 years to decide what colors to use. Now my next problem is Basecoat/ clear coat...OR Single stage paint ? I can get the paint either way...I'm looking for opinions on what type of paint to use (BCCC- Single stage). It's be 30+ years since I've painted anything , back then it was Acrylic Enamel, so I've never used BCCC ever! Right now all I want to do is get the engine bay painted. The body will be done at a latter point (by someone with more painting skills than me)
So sound OFF...your opinion .....BCCC/ or Single stage ?
PS, don't try to change my mind to not do a color change.
P1040827.JPG

Last edited:
Luminous Cordovan? is that a metallic color?

base clear is waaayyyy easier than metallic single stage, by a factor of a hundred; but you have experience with acrylic enamel....... which is what was used back in the day..... it would have a different look than base clear.....

as you are aware, no sanding/buffing on single stage metallic, so you need both cleanliness and a near perfect application...... not to give up any trade secrets, but base/clear is very forgiving

What are the goals for the project? Nice driver or show car? Solvent-based or waterborne 2-stage? If waterborne, air movement is more important than with solvent-based.
Single-stage will be less expensive, but more demanding in terms of cleanliness & application. BC/CC will have better UV & other protection, easier to deal with imperfections, but you'll pay more for materials, if that's an issue. I personally prefer BC/CC except where a car has to look original and was originally a single-stage enamel.
Luminous Cordovan is a rick dark brown shade, metallic, and rarely seen.

I like your color choice.
First, I am NO painter! But I would do under the hood, jams, etc, single stage. Since you are gonna have someone else shoot the car, I would have it done in bc,cc for sure.
If it was a real max car, sure, shoot it as close to original as possible. Its not, so put the best paint ony ou can.
And eldubb makes a great point about metallics.

base clear is waaayyyy easier than metallic single stage, by a factor of a hundred; but you have experience with acrylic enamel....... which is what was used back in the day..... it would have a different look than base clear.....

as you are aware, no sanding/buffing on single stage metallic, so you need both cleanliness and a near perfect application...... not to give up any trade secrets, but base/clear is very forgiving
What's your thoughts on single stage paint nowadays.. is it like say in the late 90s? With the vocs etc. Or is it a crappier mix now

What's your thoughts on single stage paint nowadays.. is it like say in the late 90s? With the vocs etc. Or is it a crappier mix now

haven't really used it much at all, but the urethane single stage should be as tough as urethane clear....... when it comes to my car, I just might go single stage 68 GG1 green metallic

acrylic enamel flows out like nothing else and looks incredible when applied right....... it's just not as tough

That's what I thought. No need to polish when done right.

My neighbor is a high end professional body and painter.
He told me that bb/cc is super easy to apply and very forgiving..
I just got my 96 Dakota back from Macco. Single stage, it looks pretty good. They wanted twice as much for bb/cc.
Cost was for an Overall $1287. Neighbor said he could not buy the material for that much, let alone do the whole job.

I'm doing a color change from Ermine White..to Luminous Cordovan/ and a Ermine White top. It took me over 2 years to decide what colors to use. Now my next problem is Basecoat/ clear coat...OR Single stage paint ? I can get the paint either way...I'm looking for opinions on what type of paint to use (BCCC- Single stage). It's be 30+ years since I've painted anything , back then it was Acrylic Enamel, so I've never used BCCC ever! Right now all I want to do is get the engine bay painted. The body will be done at a latter pint (by someone with more painting skills than me)
So sound OFF...your opinion .....BCCC/ or Single stage ?
PS, don't try to change my mind to not do a color change.View attachment 1483105
Just noticed your garage floor looks just like mine with the drain in the middle. I get a lot of cold outside air coming in in the winter. My garage is heated so I gorilla tape over the drain in the winter. Idea you may have not thought of if yours goes to daylight. Nice SW. What engine?

Just noticed your garage floor looks just like mine with the drain in the middle. I get a lot of cold outside air coming in in the winter. My garage is heated so I gorilla tape over the drain in the winter. Idea you may have not thought of if yours goes to daylight. Nice SW. What engine?
It's got a 318 poly, thanks for the drain idea.

yes, it is a metallic paint color. Never knew about NO wet sanding metallic single stage..thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
I like your color choice.
First, I am NO painter! But I would do under the hood, jams, etc, single stage. Since you are gonna have someone else shoot the car, I would have it done in bc,cc for sure.
If it was a real max car, sure, shoot it as close to original as possible. Its not, so put the best paint ony ou can.
And eldubb makes a great point about metallics.
IF I were to use single stage (engine bay/door jambs), and BCCC on the body. Would the colors match ? since different type of paints ?

What are the goals for the project? Nice driver or show car? Solvent-based or waterborne 2-stage? If waterborne, air movement is more important than with solvent-based.
Single-stage will be less expensive, but more demanding in terms of cleanliness & application. BC/CC will have better UV & other protection, easier to deal with imperfections, but you'll pay more for materials, if that's an issue. I personally prefer BC/CC except where a car has to look original and was originally a single-stage enamel.
Luminous Cordovan is a rick dark brown shade, metallic, and rarely seen.
The car is just going to be a driver. At this point I have NO idea weather the paint is solvent based/ or water based (have not checked into that yet) thanks for that information.

This is an updated question that I posted from back in March this year. But since I'm getting closer to the painting part of the project, I thought I would ask you guys one more time. Thanks for all the helpfull advice...wish me luck.

yes, it is a metallic paint color. Never knew about NO wet sanding metallic sihgle stage..thanks for the tip. Cordovan is the color of the steering column. (it's a 1962 factory color for Plymouth)

P1040784.JPG

Best thing about single stage is touchups. It can be touched u, hit with a little wet 3000 and a chip disappears. Not so much with BC/CC. But I think you lose that advantage with the metallic. So I would lean towards BC/CC for the whole job.

I just want to see it when it's done !!!

Auto Transport Service
Back