• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how much does a 71-72 RR/Satellite hood weigh?

dangina

Local time
8:49 PM
Reaction score
curious if anyone here has weighed one - was thinking about buying the new AAR fiberglass hood to shave some weight off the front end - and was wondering how much weight savings would it be if I did this?
They seem to be the only reputable fiberglass hood company out there -
http://www.aarqualityfiberglass.com/cart2/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=426

I'm pro-touring the car and still debating if this is a good idea, with the 383 up front its a little front heavy like all bbodys...

Not enough to matter really.
Glass hoods are good for carb clearance and looks.

I would say there is atleast a 80-90 pound difference,

I called AAR today and he says his guess is that their hood is around 50 lbs - I'm guessing or stock one is around 90 to 100 lbs with a weight savings of 40 lbs + I wish I had some accurate numbers...

I've also read somewhere that with the fiberglass hoods some guys use lightweight springs or no springs at all - does anyone know where to get the lightweight springs? I'd like to be able to open the hood and have it stay open...

Yeah my 72 satellite hood weighs 95 pds and ive got no prob with it staying open-
Maybe try getting some new springs

Sounds funny but the hood and the doors is somthing I dont want to rattle around at high speeds or have shatter in a acident

does anyone have any pics of the lift off/6pac style hoods on a 71-72? contemplating going that route..

I ended up biting the bullet and bought the satellite hood with airgrabber setup from AAR fiberglass a couple weeks ago - will post results both weight and looks when it gets here....

Not sure where you'd locate lightweight hinges...but they would be a good idea to prevent the hood from bowing up over time with the stockers.

it arrived:

IMG_20120218_141847.jpg

will post fitment later - no bubbles or cracks or anything bad that I can see for now - they even cut out the hole and marked the airgrabber bubble location on the hood for me so I knew where to drill!

Auto Transport Service
Back