• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much power?

Especially in a stroker BB, figure the cost of some GOOD drag radials into the budget. Not optional IMO. The wear life isn't great but that's the compromise with more power...I'll never run regular radials on a stroker car again, ever. Night and day difference between them and the Copper/BFG stuff.
Just keep in mind it takes RPM to make horsepower. On the street, you just don't usually have the space to wind them up like that. Usually:rolleyes:.

I like/am going for high rpm 700hp/550-600ftlbs.

I think you'll find more would prefer lower rpm and more torque than horsepower.

Most of it is personal preference.

I forget, are you using a manual transmission?

High rpm + manual tranny = good as it gets.

That Is Exactly what I am going for... Motor is done.. its a full 440 source 512 w/ a Holley sniper Comp cams .525"/.525"Duration 285°/297° on a 110 degree LS. Backed buy an 18 spline 4 speed and a Dana with 3:55's dyno sheet says it carries over 500fpt from 2800 to 5300 with max 560 at 3400 so you are correct it will not see over 5500. I purposely went with a little smaller cam for street and durability and to work with my power brakes and sniper. I think it would be cool to say I have 700hp but it would not fit my use. And I would run out of Head as they are the unported Stealths. This is my first attempt at a long life (Miles) Higher HP street motor.. We will see.. Thank You for your (Honest) feedback.. Oh and I "almost" wish I had less driving experience I would probably not try to "hang it out" as much as I am going to..

What was the power?

I forget, are you using a manual transmission?

High rpm + manual tranny = good as it gets.

Yes I'm using a TKO600. Swapped out the .64 overdrive for a .82. I installed a 4.10 ring/pinion but also have 4.56's sitting here if that's not enough.

That Is Exactly what I am going for... Motor is done.. its a full 440 source 512 w/ a Holley sniper Comp cams .525"/.525"Duration 285°/297° on a 110 degree LS. Backed buy an 18 spline 4 speed and a Dana with 3:55's dyno sheet says it carries over 500fpt from 2800 to 5300 with max 560 at 3400 so you are correct it will not see over 5500. I purposely went with a little smaller cam for street and durability and to work with my power brakes and sniper. I think it would be cool to say I have 700hp but it would not fit my use. And I would run out of Head as they are the unported Stealths. This is my first attempt at a long life (Miles) Higher HP street motor.. We will see.. Thank You for your (Honest) feedback.. Oh and I "almost" wish I had less driving experience I would probably not try to "hang it out" as much as I am going to..

Sounds nice. Which pistons / compression ratio, and what rocker arms?

The 505" 440 in the Coronet uses the -17cc dish pistons, about 10.3:1 compression, mild ported stealth heads and a comp hydraulic roller cam.
Never dynoed, but a ton of torque. Edelbrock XT EFI with FAST 2.0 electronics. It seems fairly mild, but the convertible is not a race car.

Gathering parts for a 512" 440 11:1 compression with Brodix B1 B/S heads. Haven't chose a cam, but likely a small solid roller, maybe around 250 @ 0.050"?

How much does the car weigh and do you know your front to rear weight bias?
I have done nothing for weight loss other than engine mods so one could assume still in that 37-4000lb range w driver and fuel do not know the actual bias but think I might be closer to the 50/50 mark with alum heads & radiator, intake battery relocate to the back.

What was the power?
Dyno.jpg

Myself I build my cars with an et goal so I try to build the eng with the power I will need to run the et I want at my weight. So on my 63 Sport Fury I wanted to dip in the 10's in full street mode driving it to the track. So I built my eng to make around 600 flywheel hp and about 500 at the tires. And going by my cars weight of 3700 lbs without me in it and my best 10.70's et and 125 mph I figure I am right around 600 flywheel hp. And my car has no power adders and is a joy to drive on the street as I do it all the time.

It's not how much power you want, it's how much power does your Chevy driving friends have.....then add accordingly. In my case I doubled it. She is perfectly streetable 900 hp b body 4 speed. Gas mileage is low but the fun gauge is pegged on high!

20210627_160820.jpg

I did this exact build, even had them do my heads. Only difference is I used the closest comparable Comp hydraulic roller cam and 440 source 383/496 kit. I've got 610hp/670tq at crank. 14" vacuum at idle of 850rpm. Super streetable.

What car is this in? What compression ratio is the engine now? Do you mix in race fuel or no?

This was a blip to 5600rpm on pump gas but the car was much more fun with the 600fwhp/4spd combo I ran 20 years ago.
C4E0F0ED-9531-491E-9E28-328791A8E460.jpeg

I know this is a can of worms subject and no 2 people will prob be the same just hoping to find a starting point -range- to see what people that have been driving High HP cars think is a happy streetable number is as far as HP and Torque goes. Specifically in a 4 spd b body. Is it in the 500-600 hp and torque range? higher/lower? In a car that sees no track, sunday cruse in traffic, streetlight antics, carshow & drive it to work in the summer kind of use. Assuming no overheating and sustained highway speeds are attainable.
Just going by your post and stated plans for use of your car I am going to say under 500 hp and near that for torque.
Jmho but for your plans I vote for the kiss method :D.
No track time , sustained hyw.drives ect with your 4speed life will be much better with a 3.23 or taller gear and a sub 500 hp engine,
The ability to purchase fuel anyplace you stop is nice. Anything north of 350 hp and 400 plus torque with run 120mph and roast a set of tires with a 3.23 gear set. Plus you can drive all day on a cruise without a support crew or trailer following.
:drinks:

Is there a dyno sheet that goes with this screen shot?
It appears the TQ numbers are “corrected”(the “C” if front of the tq), and the HP numbers are uncorrected.
Although, there doesn’t appear to be much of a correction factor.

Be nice to see the other info that might be on the sheet...... like bsfc, fuel flow, etc.

Was it tested with headers on it?

943B0807-9D22-49E0-AB45-F07740BF1199.jpeg

Last edited:
600 hp will about incinerate any tires from a roll.
Doug

Is there a dyno sheet that goes with this screen shot?
It appears the TQ numbers are “corrected”(the “C” if front of the tq), and the HP numbers are uncorrected.
Although, there doesn’t appear to be much of a correction factor.

Be nice to see the other info that might be on the sheet...... like bsfc, fuel flow, etc.

Was it tested with headers on it?

View attachment 1246734

dyno1.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back