• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much primer and paint?

kllrbee

Local time
10:26 AM
Reaction score
This has probly been asked before, but if I search, I come up with anything "how much" and "paint" related, so doesnt really help.

Im getting all the wet stuff for my 69 together and ordering it online. The only thing I can get by me is PPG Omni or Transtar, so Im not getting anything locally.

I have my 69 Coronet stripped and will be taking down to bare metal. I will be doing the interior, trunk, jams, engine bay, underside, basically everything except top (vinyl, but will still need primed), and hood (fiberglass lift off).

Im going all SPI primers and clear and Prospray base.
This is what Im thinking in terms of quantity. Please let me know if Im close or waaayyy off (keep in mind I cant run down the street if I run out AND Im new to this so add for newb mistakes).

Epoxy primer (1:1) 1 1/2 gal (3 sprayable)
Too much? I figure everything needs to get covered with at least 2-3 coats.

2K high build (4:1) 1 gal (1.25 sprayable)
Not enough? I dont think Ill really need this for interior, underside, and trunk, will I? I can use the epoxy to seal.

Base (1:1) 5 quarts (2 1/2 gal sprayable)
Basically everything needs to get covered except the top...

Clear (1:1) 1 gal (2 gal sprayable)
No idea...

So what do u think?
Thnx guys!

I really have to leave this to the pros here that uses this type of primer/paint, I paint my own cars but i use Acrylic enamel, much different although i put on 3 coats of primer/sealer and 2-3 coats of paint... But i really think you should paint your roof, the main reason so many has to replace roof skins is because when new they really didn't add the protection that should have been under the vinyl, Even Mopar restorers that do it for a living as others also has said this Could be the epoxy primer is enough, myself, i would have to paint it for peace of mind. Just my 2 cents and a suggestion.. Good luck to you.

My first question,why wouldn't you use PPG if its local.They sell the best epoxy primer DP90 hands down.They also sell a good 2K primer JP202 that can be mixed as a sealer also.It cost around $120 a gallon with reducer and hardner.Omni paint line has been faded out and replaced by shop line through PPG.This line of products work well and is locally to you.

Epoxy primer you only need two coats.If you are only doing the outside you have way to much.If you are priming the whole car inside and undercarriage you may run a little short.You will use a ton trying to get all the nooks and hard to reach areas on the inside.

I want to add on product to your refinish job.A good polyester primer for blocking and straightening that big b body.High build or some call it 4+1 it is made by evercoat.Also slick sand is a good product to use,aslong as you epoxy underneath it.

As for the base you are way off depending on the color and if you are painting the inside and undercarriage.You must also paint the roof,even when applying a vinyl top!!!!!!Atleast clear that area!!!!

Clear you don't have enough,thats a big car.Jambs and other parts eat up clear quickly.Ilike to hammer the clear on and have something to sand on when it comes to color sanding.I usually spray four coats of clear and pound it on at that.Then you have plenty of material to work with.It may be over kill depending what type of finish you are looking for.

I agree....Stick with the PPG. The DP 40 is great stuff, but get it out of your gun quick after using it if you don't have a decent gun cleaner. I guess that goes with any of the epoxy primers. I used Omni to spray jams, but that's about it. Did a fairlane once with it in a metallic blue. Seemed like it wanted to tiger stripe wayyyy too easy. Always seems like it just doesn't go that far. Like mopar poor mentioned, just don't prime the roof then cover it with vinyl. Paint it like the rest of the car then move on. As far as the clear 2 gallons would be cutting it pretty close, I guess it all depends on how many coats you plan on spraying on. 3-4 would be optimum, being it leaves you some extra breathing room when it comes to wetsand/buff. Good luck

Omni is thin as water (I know from experience), PPG may cost more, but you won't use as much of it as Omni. If you use omni, plan on buying twice the amount as you would PPG, to get full coverage.

Another thing is they mix differently. PPG SS urethane reduces 1:1 (before adding catalyst)...thats 2 sprayable gallons of material. Omni SS urethane tech sheet says reduce 4:1....which I did for the first cup, but it was so thin, I didn't reduce any more I mixed up I just mixed with the hardener, no reducer. So Omni is basically 1 sprayable gallon, and still thin, even without reducer.

Jason

Auto Transport Service
Back