• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much torque can a 833 handle.

Think I'm gonna go with the new Tremec 5 speed be nice to have the overdrive anyways plus a hydraulic clutch

Think I'm gonna go with the new Tremec 5 speed be nice to have the overdrive anyways plus a hydraulic clutch
Good idea. It's always smarter to upgrade before you break what's already there. Same advice for those wondering if their 8 3/4 will hold up.

I have an 18 spline behind a new Centerforce clutch. Same 400+ HP 440 as my first GTX 440 with 23 spline and Borg Beck style clutch. Both to Dana 3.54:1. Results? I feel little to no difference.

I think both setups can handle 100+ more HP/torque. No problem. Even with small tire slick. But of course I do feel better with the heavier trans and clutch setup in that case.

I believe the clutch has a big effect also.
In my case, I selected a clutch that I thought would handle my current HP (pre-build estimate 450), and up to future build of 600.
I think it grabs way harder and faster than my old street strip clutch did with a similar HP level.
So, the old mis matched parts rears it ugly head.

I agree with Padam. Ran and upgraded 8 3/4 rear and still had failures and bent the housing about 6". Went to the Dana, problems over. Ran 23 & 18 spline slick-shifted and Liberty modified, normal wear service, except for the no clutch shifts 3rd to 4th experiments where it bit too hard and broke the ears off the trans case a couple times.

Pretty excited my Tremec 5 speed is being shipped out to me today. Finally have my Trick flow heads arrive today to finish the 512 low deck stroker. Should be fun street car with the 4.10 gears but may put the stock 3.54 gears back in

I would imagine if you can afford the Tremec you can also go for the Strange Dana, and then you're done, and there won't be concerns about the drivetrain.

Just re-read, I see you already have the Dana, then you're set.
Have fun. John

I would imagine if you can afford the Tremec you can also go for the Strange Dana, and then you're done, and there won't be concerns about the drivetrain.

Just re-read, I see you already have the Dana, then you're set.
Have fun. John
Yeah the complete kit was like 6300 bucks ouch..

I'm looking for an 833 for my 71 Charger. Need everything for the swap, but mostly the bellhousing and transmission as the rest can be purchased aftermarket online. Want to modify the internals to make the 4th gear overdrive. Anyone have one? Anyone know who does this transmission mod well? Also looking for bucket seats/or high back bench. Maybe see you at Pate Swap Meet, April 28th -30th. Thanks, Drew ~ Fort Worth, Texas.

I'm looking for an 833 for my 71 Charger. Need everything for the swap, but mostly the bellhousing and transmission as the rest can be purchased aftermarket online. Want to modify the internals to make the 4th gear overdrive. Anyone have one? Anyone know who does this transmission mod well? Also looking for bucket seats/or high back bench. Maybe see you at Pate Swap Meet, April 28th -30th. Thanks, Drew ~ Fort Worth, Texas.
There are basically two ways to do this. I have done it one way and my buddy with a 67 GTX has done it the other:
Method 1: Later 833 transmissions were made by Mopar as overdrives. You can build up a low torque capable overdrive that has a really steep 1st gear (3.xx to 1) and (if I recall) .73 or so overdrive. I used a transmission like this when I drove across country in my 70 Road Runner. The problem is, this transmission is NOT stout, so the max torque it can handle is around 300 lb-ft. And don't try drag racing with it.
Method 2: Get a "Hemi Overdrive". Passon Performance builds these. I think 1st, 2nd and third gear ratios are very close to a 727, plus it has an overdrive. These are 18 spline transmissions and are very durable. They are pricey though, but are the best solution for a powerful engine and spirited driving. Contact Passon Performance for these. I'm not sure if Brewers offers a similar transmission, but they might.

Good luck.

Nice info Guys!

I got two four speed cars and they both have 18 spliners but one has an 8-3/4!

I guess you can break anything if you try hard enough lol...

Only ever seen a few 4 speeds running fast on track and the gear changes sounded painful at best!
Must learn how to 'power-shift' so I'm hoping its easier on the drivetrain???

I have a 71 GTX with an auto and soon to be a 511ci as well.
If she was a 4-speed car then I would be in seventh heaven lol...

Auto Transport Service
Back