• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How not to rebuild an alternator.

ws27

Local time
10:19 AM
Reaction score
O.K., so last night I learned how NOT to rebuild an alternator. I took it apart to change the front bearing, simple right? Well the first bearing I installed cracked the inner sleeve. Not sure how I did this, but maybe it was a few thou too small. So apart it came again.

After the second bearing I realized that I should have not hammered the shaft into the bearing, nor hammered the pulley on either. I didn't damage anything...or so I thought because I used a brass hammer and supported everything (again, I thought) correctly.

What I did do wrong is I caused the rotor to slide backwards on the shaft. I ended up crushing the windings trying to press it forward. Lesson learned.

Does anyone know if rotors are all the same? I would think they would be different for different amperage ratings. I have others to use, but I need to figure out if I can, or how to tell the apart if they are different.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Auto Transport Service
Back