• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bench Testing An Ignition Switch?

dodge68charger

Local time
11:57 PM
Reaction score
Going to be installing the ignition switch on my 69 bee. The original switch has no key so taking it to a locksmith tomorrow.

How do I bench test the switch to see if it works?

The 1969 Ignition Switch and Tumbler is a --- one year, 1969 ONLY --- Ignition Switch and Tumbler....
I have them Brand New, if you choose to simply go that route....

P.M. me, as per forum rules, if interested..... Craig .....

Here are the schematics looks like for the ignition circuit.

12volt goes to red wire.
Brown is to the ballast resistor
Blue with tracer goes to 2 places. Spot 7 on your dash cluster board round connector if you have a standard dash. And the other blue with tracer goes to the alternator.
Yellow goes to the starter solenoid.
Black goes to a fuse. I'm guessing ACC power

Put power to the red wire terminal on switch. Check brown when switch is turned on and also check yellow for power. Those are what are needed to start the car. Hope this helps. I think the brown and yellow are marked ign1 and ign2 on the switch or vice versa.

69CoronetA.JPG
69CoronetB.JPG

Make sure you check the voltage with a load also. Thats when they fail. For example say the contacts are dirty and you still get 12VDC through it, good right? Maybe if you load it to say a amp it can fail for sure. A load light is a great tool for checking this.

Last edited:
Sealed beam headlight works good for a load.

Auto Transport Service
Back