• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How rare is my 1967 Dodge Charger?

You got a great deal on the car. it is not rare, but for what you paid who cares. it was intended to be the Ford beater for Nascar. That did not materialize. But it is a cool body style.

So the power windows and headrests and other options on the car does not make it rare or more sought after?I thought those options might make it a little more rare than another 1967 Charger with just base options.What exactly makes a muscle car rare then?I'm just curious how all that works.

headrests were probably the rarest option on 67 Chargers....power windows ain't all that common either. Add the column shift and buddy seat...it's pretty rare car with options that are on it

with what you are looking at, leave the 383 in it and restore it back to stock

The car came with a 383 out of a 69 Roadrunner(or maybe a 400 or 440).Should I build that motor and drop it in to drive it to keep the numbers matching motor safe or do you think it would be ok to the the original motor in it?I have a few other toys to hot rod and play with.This Charger will mainly be used to drive to car shows with my fathers Charger and just go to cruise nights with him.

we got 2 66 Charger 4spd cars..one I bought in 1974...the other we got in '96...it still has original motor, trans, rear end, paint...I did the interior a couple years ago

pic below of still mostly original car..

I say if you have the OE motor, rebuild it and put it back in

Bryan (Click my sig link below for more pics of the Chargers)

DCP_1542-1.jpg

dcp_3687.jpg

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope to find a good deal like that for my son. He is 12 and we will be starting his project in the next year or sooner for his first car. He really likes the Superbee but he is not getting that so I am thinking a charger of that style for him.

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope to find a good deal like that for my son. He is 12 and we will be starting his project in the next year or sooner for his first car. He really likes the Superbee but he is not getting that so I am thinking a charger of that style for him.

you might want to re-think that choice...the 66 & 67's are the hardest to restore of all the years...interior parts are un-obtainium....electrical is the worst for these cars...instrument cluster can run up to $1000 to get it working again....

Like I said, we have 2 of these...a lot of parts are real hard to find

Bryan

There are plenty of Darts and Dusters out there that would make great first cars and are plentiful.Parts are still pretty cheap for them too.My first car was a 1973 Plymouth Scamp with a warmed over 318.I still have it and now it's a fire breathing W-2 headed 416 monster.The 1st gen Chargers are pretty expensive to restore as I'm finding out now.Plus certain parts may not be able to be replaced if there were to be a fender bender.

It doesn't sound like the OP is too concerned with keeping the car original.
Just a few notes to the OP-

That car is very desireable to me, personally, and IMO it would be somewhat of a shame to do a lot of mods on it and loose some of that "as built" with cool options charm.

Are you sure you don't want to send that one my way, and start with something a little less unique and more modification friendly?

I do commend you for the foresight to keep the original parts, if they are replaced.

You are the first person I've ever heard say that they'd rather have a 400 than a 383.
Judging from some of your previous comments, I shouldn't have to tell you that you're looking at quite a few fairly expensive mods to get a 400 to perform like a 383. (and I'ma 400 fan) Unless your going for a 451...

...and finally, not really any such thing as "matching numbers" on a pre 1968 Mopar.
Just a build date on the engine that correcponds to the period just before the build date of the car.
That's the beauty of pre-68 Mopars- MUCH less worry about the engine as it pertains to value of the car.

The factory multipiece wheel covers on A383Wing's car, or the Torque-Thrusts on JBearden's car?

I "just dont get it"
Call me crazy BUT I think the 66 and 67 Chargers are truly "LANDMARK" cars.
I think the styling was "advanced".
Give me one with a Hemi in it!

I'm pretty sure they were optional. I've seen Coronets and Darts with them.

I've even seen more than one original car with a passenger side rest, but not a driver side one!! ...and even the window sticker for confirmation.

Also optional on early 68, but IIRC standard on late 68 and newer.

I just don't care for column shift cars is all.A console with a bright shiny shifter poking through the floor looks much cooler.I've passed up buying other B and a few E bodies because they were column shift.Just not my cup of tea.Also,I don't like anyone sitting right next to me or having the option to do so.There was an exception made with this car because I just haven't seen many at all like it.I prefer the 400 over the 383 because of the large bore/short stroke of the motor.With the same comp,cam,heads,etc.,the 400 would walk away from a 383 with little effort.And on top of that,IMO,a 383 B body performs less than a 340 A body car.I even prefer a 400 over a 440 in a race only app like in my 72 Duster.Not for street apps though.440 is king.Personal opinion.The wheels are 14".As far as getting rid of it,I'd prefer to keep it because of the plans my father and his 66 Charger and myself with the 67 have this summer.If you can get me a 69 Charger in the same condition,running and all, then I'll trade you even for it,otherwise sorry,no deal.I'll let you know if I ever decide to let it go.Scout's honor.When I get home I'll try to find a build sheet for the car and post pics.Maybe I can get some help decoding it.I haven't looked at the fender tag or anything yet because I haven't been home enough to tear into the car.I work in the oilfields of West Texas as a directional driller and do not have a set schedule.I hope that everything on the car is original but I wouldn't be able to tell you because I just don't have that knowledge.Especially of the 66-67 Chargers.All I can say is what I see on the car from looking it over.And it all looks like it came with the car because the wear and oldness all looks the same.I'll post more pics when I can.Any particular requests?It even has extra parts in boxes in the floor boards.I saw an extra EL power pack,power window chrome piece that goes around the switches,extra window motor,extra steering wheel,etc.This well we're drilling now should only last another 10 days or so.After that I'll be home for about a week and have some time to look it over better.I appreciate you guys taking the time to help me figure this car out and giving advice on restoring it.

Auto Transport Service
Back