• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How rare? One of 74..

Way back in 1997....

20200413_134012.jpg

I know BAD trade..but I sold it to buy this...cause "she" liked the boat more than the car...now I dont have either...blessing and curse..lol 20200413_134309.jpg

They are somewhat rate, the 383 4 speeds. I would build it with a 4bbl, light pistons and crank and a really good oiling system.

Some info on this site, but the search function isn't great.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,11152.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,39025.0.html

and here:

https://sites.google.com/site/1968chargerregistry/
The oiling system. I know it’s a common upgrade when people build engines. But, why is that so important ? What’s wrong with the original oil pump that everyone feels a need to increase the output ?

Is there any sign or clue in the fender tag that it originally had a black vinyl roof? I had one of those 1 of 74 back in 1997....and it was more of a blood red. 383 2bbl 4 speed...was a fun driver.
Yes it had black vinyl roof and original color was PP1 darker red.

Guys, now I need to say that I started this post 4+ years ago asking ”how rare, 1/74” but since I started to build my car again, I’m not thinking that at all anymore. What I think about 5.7 modern Hemi with 545RFE transmission that I had... I wish nobody does that, not happy at all. 5.7’s quality and reliability was so bad, problems after problems. And the way previous owner had ”restored” my car car was mostly hilarious. Now bodywork is done by professional and I’m very happy. I’ve already bought rebuild and dynoed gen2 Hemi with TF727 and Dana60, can’t wait to finish it :) It’ll probably be black with red stripes and gator top.

Body was first blasted with crushed glass before body work, then it got epoxy all over the places before installing quarter panels and roof skin back to their places.. I’ve lot of photos if you’re interested.

14674919.jpg

This is how it looked back in 2010 in California :)

14825076.jpg

14825094.jpg

14825089.jpg

14825091.jpg

That car has come a long way since those days.
What does that little black shifter do ? You have to move it to allow the larger shifter to engage ? I never messed with a Hurst shifter.

reverse lockout?

...or Mad Max blower engage?

...or Mad Max blower engage?

I KNOW that it doesn't really make sense to do it, blah, blah blah... ...but that has to be one of the coolest ideas ever! Nothing could be more badass than sitting at a traffic light and engaging your blower when some overstuffed adversary sits in the lane next to you!

That's why I like the 70 Air Grabber so much - it has the same kind of vibe!

My friends and I had some very detail oriented discussions around age 14 about how that might be possible.

You would need both air and fuel on both sides of the blower unit.

FI is the easy answer for fuel, simply 2 sets of injectors.
Could even have larger ones feeding the screws.

Air is a little more difficult.

After all that, you need an extremely heavy duty clutch.
We discussed the A/C clutch principle but couldn't find a unit we thought heavy enough.
It also appears the clutch was on the balancer and not the blower.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back