• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How rare?

J. Cower

Local time
11:08 AM
Reaction score
How do I find out how many Chargers were made that were the same options as my new one has? Here's a pic of the plate..

D988C527-C3B8-4BF6-B9C8-1D136C182293.jpeg

I don't know but FC7 and E86 are good codes. (Drooling...)
Pretty nice car you got there :thumbsup:

I haven't seen breakdowns for options. Colors may just be a percentage. Year, model, engine, and transmission is all you get.

Wow thanks! So only 4% built had a gator grain top like mine?

That's cool and interesting. I wonder why other Mopar body styles don't have that information available.

They do, you simply have to dig for them. Notice you accessed the 1970 Charger Registry there. That's all that will show.

The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Home Page

I wish we had a database like the Ford-Lincoln-Mercury guys have for their pre-'99 vehicles. If you've ever read a Marti Report, those are the very best documentation tools out there, and it's all factory info.

It's been in the family since mid 70s but this is as far as my cousin got in restoring it before he passed.

8464D643-B36D-48AB-96C6-1F241C3B7242.jpeg

7463E93A-0004-4EDF-83D8-BD953CA17A7C.jpeg

Nice looking car. Any Chargers are "rare" these days, an RT is even more rare, and one in that good of condition is even more rare. I would guess that there is less than 1000 like that one out there in the world. Just a guess, but it is a rare car. Finish it up, for the future of the car, not for the value of the car. It will be worth it. Your cousin did what he could, and saved it. You are the current caretaker of the car, so do your part for the next caretaker or caretakers in the future.

"Rare" is not the correct word. "Scarse" is more accurate. The difference between the thousands of Chargers built (everywhere back then, but scarse today) versus say, a Hemi four-speed Charger 500, '69 Daytona, or a '69 Dart GTS 440 (rare then, rare now, very few built to begin with) is the very definition of the two.

Yeah, nit-picking, but accurate.

"Rare" is not the correct word. "Scarse" is more accurate. The difference between the thousands of Chargers built (everywhere back then, but scarse today) versus say, a Hemi four-speed Charger 500, '69 Daytona, or a '69 Dart GTS 440 (rare then, rare now, very few built to begin with) is the very definition of the two.

Yeah, nit-picking, but accurate.
That's not nit picky . Nit picky would be correcting scarse, to scarce lol.

There's probably a few crazy purple 70 RTs up here.

I saw one at a local BBQ place a couple weeks ago. Same plum crazy. Totally unexpected.

Nice car. Biggest things is the color and that E86 code. The 70 in the fleet here is an oddball car ordered with a Gator Grain Vinyl Top. Was told it was a Florida car many years ago which could explain the top option. Haven't seen many V1G Chargers over the years at all.

FC7 with a gater grain, thats got to be pretty rare.

FC7 / V1G were not an approved combination for a 70 Charger thus the V08 Edit designation. The 70 Charger Registry had one on display at Carlisle this year.

And there are 131 Gator Grain 70 Chargers in the Registry.

Auto Transport Service
Back