• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to be different: 1968 Charger convertible

more pictures a 69 they just cut the top off of , no top now at all roadster LOL

69vert8335150d7dc.jpg

8335169 vert3097dc.jpg

8541755e0dc.jpg

Hey, I could handle the roadster look. If this thing comes off as nicely as I plan it to be, it'll never see the rain. All I'll ever do is drive it on sunny days a wipe it with a diaper.
So, if I cut the roof off, can I finish the top of the windshield somehow without looking like hammered dogshit? I think rear roof area could be handled pretty easily by a interior fabricator type shop. Its gotta be cheaper than a reskin. Besides, it never rains in central Texas anyway.
Go TCU

mine where all bent up from someone using them for a jack point. so we did make a skin and reskin mine , because we made them almost 13 year ago now.

they make them now ( repop ) http://www.autorust.com/m_boxi_1.html

Hey, thanks, I didn't know they made them for my 73, thought I was gonna have to get creative with earlier ones.

I may still make my own. (I am one poor schmuck). But, now that I know what they look like, I might be able to make my own. Patterns couldn't hurt though....
LOL

'68 Charger convertible

Hey:

Now that I understand the best way to create this, can ya'll tell me all the year models of Coronets and Satellite converts that will readily accept the "68 skins?
Thanks-

Thats one car i wish Dodge had made a convert. A 68-69 Charger, everyone has seen that Coronet that they put a 68 Charger front and rear on. What a great looking car. Although the sail panels would be hard to create. A third gen Charger would be easier to make a convert out of probably.

If you want this to look like a Charger with the top up (and why wouldn't you since you picked the Charger) then get a rusty one like you said and use the whole car as your base. For the rag top part I'd get the complete frame assy out of just about any car of the era and redesign it to look like a Charger roof when the top is up. by the time you cut it up it won't matter where it came from. Parts is where you find them! You will also find the hydraulics are pretty much the same between all the car makes.

When I had a 68 GTX conv I found out that there are three different windshield heights for the late 60's B body. The conv has the tallest windshield followed by the 4 dr.

its not impossible to retain the sail panel look but would take some work. a coworker of mine has one of those saturn turbo sky cars (the 2 seater sports car) and his is a convertible that has a sail panel like look to it with the rear window recessed in a ways. so i say if saturn can acheive this look im sure one of us can as well

I'm still considering the roadster option as I wouldn't drive this thing in the rain. We get 300+ days w/o rain here, so its not a prob. I acknowledge all the advice against whacking the roof off of a rusty Charger, but I hate to tear up a good Sat or Coronet convert to create this thing, plus I save the life of something no one else may want. My goal is to make it look as factory as possible, and I could care less about the top. Is there no way to swap in a convert windshield frame or retro the edge of the removed hardtop?

I'm still considering the roadster option as I wouldn't drive this thing in the rain. We get 300+ days w/o rain here, so its not a prob. I acknowledge all the advice against whacking the roof off of a rusty Charger, but I hate to tear up a good Sat or Coronet convert to create this thing, plus I save the life of something no one else may want. My goal is to make it look as factory as possible, and I could care less about the top. Is there no way to swap in a convert windshield frame or retro the edge of the removed hardtop?

I know also with the new challengers there is a company in florida who hacks the top off and has a kit to install convertible top. I watched them do it on street customes TV show . you could always do the roadster thing and later if your so inclined have a top put in it. They really did a great job on the challenger and didnt even have to mess with the back seat and windshield post . So the kit (top assemble) fits great in a small space behind the rear seat with out hacking up the car to bad or loosing your back seat .

Auto Transport Service
Back