• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to best remove WD40 from metal

Cole

Local time
12:34 PM
Reaction score
How do you best remove WD40 from blasted metal prior to coating with epoxy primer? I have read about washing with dish soap, using mineral spirits and acetone. I was thinking of washing with dish soap and then wipping it down with acetone, but I have a hard time thinking about applying water to a freshly blasted car. BTW the WD40 was sprayed on about a 1 square foot spot on the underside, and being the car is on a rotiserie, went through a body hole to the interior (which is bare blasted metal as well).

What else
aca5607a-e1b9-437e-ae13-ac41199d35c9.jpg

Brake cleaner will clean it, and will not leave a residue like carb cleaner.

Okay, let's start here.

What you want to do is lift the contaminants off of the panel and remove them. Want you don't want to do is smear them all around.

Wash the area with Dawn dish soap and ,yes, water. Blow it off immediately and then hit it with a) solvent based wax & grease remover and then b) water based wax & grease remover.

Follow the directions on the w&g can and you will have a perfectly prepped substrate. Other methods can work, but you run the risk of paint failure way down the line.

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/Products/2014photos/710 wax and grease remover.jpg
http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/Products/waterborne wax grease remover.jpg

Thanks for all the supplies. I think I'll do what 5wdwcpe suggested, and report back.
The knowledge in this forum is awesome!

A few months ago, I went to lunch, left the 69 Camaro outside with some fresh new bare metal, it rained, filled the new trunk pan (bare metal) with 2 inches of rain, well, I got the water out, and sprayed WR-40 everywhere! After all this is Water Displacement formula #40! How I remember the 'gunk' after finishing metal work operations many weeks later was Media Blast it all down again, far easier than anything else. But, I have access to this equipment, I'm sure the other methods will work.

X2 on what 5wndcpe said. I use Dawn to degrease and prep all the time and then wax and grease remover.

Auto Transport Service
Back