• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Storing freshly machined parts

Dimension

Local time
6:13 PM
Reaction score
I am in the process of getting my block machined along with getting new values put into the heads of my 383. Unfortunately I had to get this done now with the car being most likely a year or more out from the body shop being done. What is going to be the best way to store all these parts so that they do not rust before I am ready to assemble it and drop it in? I live outside of Atlanta so humidity is an issue but will be storing these parts in my basement with a dehumidifier running. I have read where lots of people are soaking everything in WD40 and then putting a bag over it but leaving it open to allow it to breath. What I am not sure of is how are they getting the WD40 down the different water jackets and ensuring good coverage? Also when it comes to assembling are they just leaving the WD40 on it or are they washing it off with something before assembly? I was thinking about putting the motor together when I get it back with assembly grease but would that hold up until I can crack it in a year plus time frame or would it all leak down as if I used oil?

Fluid Film is great to use, its basically lanolin.

High humidity can lift just about kind of oil and especially WD-40. I've even had grease not fully protect but imo, it's way better than the real light stuff. I've never tired Fluid Film but my fresh machined parts live in a room with a dehumidifier....and I'm sure my area is just as humid as yours living only 9 miles from Galveston Bay.

I use it on steel distributors, works great

Fluid Film is great to use, its basically lanolin.
Are you spraying it down in the water journals, lifter bore, cylinder wall, etc or just over the top and using something different there? When you are ready to assemble do you leave it all in place or are you washing it off somehow?

High humidity can lift just about kind of oil and especially WD-40. I've even had grease not fully protect but imo, it's way better than the real light stuff. I've never tired Fluid Film but my fresh machined parts live in a room with a dehumidifier....and I'm sure my area is just as humid as yours living only 9 miles from Galveston Bay.
Sounds like you are not putting anything on it after machining?

Are you spraying it down in the water journals, lifter bore, cylinder wall, etc or just over the top and using something different there? When you are ready to assemble do you leave it all in place or are you washing it off somehow?
You should wash it off. The water jackets never thought about them really. Should work then run it with water and drain it hot I would think

You should wash it off. The water jackets never thought about them really. Should work then run it with water and drain it hot I would think
Just a rinse with hose or are you using some sort of detergent?

You need something to get it off like purple power. Stuff is good as undercoating also, I do the cars every two years.

You need something to get it off like purple power. Stuff is good as undercoating also, I do the cars every two years.

I assume you are double bagging the block? Are you sealing the bag up all the way or leaving a opening to allow for air flow?

This is essentially spray MilSpec Cosmoline. Fantastic stuff from my industrial use experience.
20230621_102223.jpg

WD 40 is really not a good product, much better alternatives. IE it sucks for what you want.

I would use LPS-3 Or engine oil

91022968-A30A-4152-B290-693AA48CAA90.jpeg

1F2498EE-2977-4828-B142-82B76651C704.png

Thanks for all of the suggestions but how is everyone storing their parts after spraying? Are they bagging them up tightly or leaving it open to allow some airflow?

Get a drum of motor oil and put everything in there till you are ready.

Put the block in a bag and all of the other parts in bags and squeeze out as much air as possible. Store them somewhere dry
and indoors. they'll be fine.

Do you bag it? If so are you sealing it up tight or are you leaving an air flow opening in it?
I'll seal it unless it's big but like I said I have a dehumidifier in my 'clean' room.

Auto Transport Service
Back