• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to decode Engine Date code stamping?

The existence and location of that number pad indicates a raised block (413,426wedge,440, an rb), therefore it can't be the original in your 383 car. Low blocks have a different pad In a different location. The "E" for 69, assembled in 68, because a middle of November assembly in 69 would be for a 70 model car. A 69 rb would be a 440.
Just above the oilpan rail on the passenger side should be a number with year, assembly plant, and partial vin code of the original car.
Thanks for the help! I also have a 1970 Charger which was a factory 383 car, and when I went to look for the plate; it wasn't there! Going from what you just told me, of which engines have the stamping there; that explains why... Do you happen to know where its stamped on 383 engines?

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 5.45.53 PM.png
Thanks for the help! I also have a 1970 Charger which was a factory 383 car, and when I went to look for the plate; it wasn't there! Going from what you just told me, of which engines have the stamping there; that explains why... Do you happen to know where its stamped on 383 engines?

Look at the block deck (Head gasket surface) below & forward of the distributor..

FWIW don't get to hung up on matching numbers, it doesn't effect how the car drives & if they are gone they are gone....
Yeah, that's a great piece of advice! I've definitely learned this lesson the hard way... It was special to me; a base Satellite Sebring with the original 383 in it... Spent 7 years thinking this to sudden find out that the engine has been gone for a long time, my feelings are hurt to say the least.... Just going to see if I can get my hands on another 383 for it, isn't going to be the same, but... Thank You for the words, sir... You've been a great big help, more than You know..

Awesome!!! Your GTX must really be breathtaking!!! I've got a '70 GTX, lots of rust, though... I hope I can get it back to its former glory; like yours one day... Here's a picture of one in the same color as my car;View attachment 876265
Little blood, sweat, tears and you surely will do just that!

That is one beautiful color combo and is perfect for a 70!

Crazydaisey- he won’t say it,often enuf, but search for “love of my father” in the search function and you’ll see ‘moparnation74’ s GTX build thread. Leave ur self a couple days to read it all!!!

VIN partial is down here just behind the passenger side engine mount.
View attachment 876284
Careful Wayne you might come across as being concerned about "numbers".......

I saw this crappy restoration of some front end parts recently........man I would be embarrassed to post pictures of that novice work.....but hey..."once they are gone, they are gone", right?:D

Then I sit back and scan through the restoration section......Our forum should be thankful to have your wonderful build thread here that shows "exactly" how to restore and install pieces of history "correctly".....

Last edited:
Little blood, sweat, tears and you surely will do just that!

That is one beautiful color combo and is perfect for a 70!
Thanks for the words, and push of confidence! I'm by no means rich, and that's why my cars have sat this long.. But, at the same time... I'm not frustrated.. Low on money but lots of ambition, or something, I just know that they're going to come together. Somehow... Hahaha, Thumbs Up to You!

Crazydaisey- he won’t say it,often enuf, but search for “love of my father” in the search function and you’ll see ‘moparnation74’ s GTX build thread. Leave ur self a couple days to read it all!!!
Thanks a lot, sir! I can't wait to read that!

Thanks for the words, and push of confidence! I'm by no means rich, and that's why my cars have sat this long.. But, at the same time... I'm not frustrated.. Low on money but lots of ambition, or something, I just know that they're going to come together. Somehow... Hahaha, Thumbs Up to You!
Right there with you my friend and that is why I know you can accomplish that!....

If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.......I think based on your post you are right on it!

Thank you for the compliments as well!

"R" is the Windsor Ontario Plant back in the day.

My Bee was a "built for Canada" Car, off of Lynch Road in Detroit. Have the correct radio to prove it! LOL
beerestoration2015-2016 1815.JPG

Last edited:
@dadsbee is correct. R is for Windsor plant. My 69 runner is also Lynch Road car built for Canada, sold new in Vancouver, and has the full vin on the block.

Maybe I should double check tomorrow to be sure as I haven’t looked f9r so long maybe I’m remembering it wrong.

Auto Transport Service
Back