• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to get it off

Snowbug778

Local time
9:05 AM
Reaction score
We have been trying for an hour to get this piece off, im sure im missing something but how does it come off?

6664160A-5810-4A66-9684-3003378FCF90.jpeg

CFA38DCA-AA70-432E-8EE4-065127E82A16.jpeg

All I do is hold the spindle steady and with a big hammer hit the knuckle right along the ball joints tapered stud. Usually 6 to 12 good hits and it pops loose.

Ball joint separator or known as a pickle fork. Local auto part store that lends tools like a Auto Zone should have what you need

Follow #3 and you don’t need a fork. May help to bolt the spindle back onto the lower ball joint to hole that steady while hitting it.

Last edited:
I remember a tech article about this in which they claim a picklefork is a Chevy tool. There is supposedly a tool specifically for Mopars. Maybe check a FSM !!!

As previously stated, a big f*#@+#g hammer whacking the side of the spindle numerous times will most likely get the stud out of the spindle.
But there are tools to get the job done, too.
1. A pickle fork.
2. An Official "Miller Special Tools" separator from back in the dinosaur days.
I'm sure there has got to be a modern equivalent to this old tool.

Ball Joint Tools 017 (Small) (1).JPG

1679005383928.jpeg
PB 2.jpg

Or......

Take a heavy hammer and use it as a backer while hitting the opposite side with a slightly smaller hammer.
As odd as it seems, this actually squishes the ball joint stud out by temporarily deforming the knuckle hole.

Last edited:
Take two and hit the knuckle where taper is at the same time from opposite sides. Clapping hammers it works well if you can get a good whack.

The upper ball joint has a tapered pin that is drawn into a tapered hole in the knuckle by the nut. Once it's wedged in there, it's not coming out unless you beat on it with a hammer. I use a pickle fork which acts as a wedge between the stud and knuckle. Makes it a little easier and gives you a nice target to aim for with the hammer.

I remember a tech article about this in which they claim a picklefork is a Chevy tool. There is supposedly a tool specifically for Mopars. Maybe check a FSM !!!
I'v got that tool.
Picture in post #8.

The upper arm is going to flop up and down.
Either a pickle fork or hit it sideways along the length of the vehicle.
But if the upper control arm bushings are old they are likely to split doing this.

And it doesn't damage the seal (just in case you're not replacing the bj)
Don't remember if I've ever used that tool other than busting ball joints loose on wrecking yard cars.
But ya, I'm pretty sure that you can position the tool under the bottom lip of the grease boot, and then wrench away, turning the big bolt.

Auto Transport Service
Back