• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to install 90 degree oil filter adapter

74chAARger

Local time
9:01 PM
Reaction score
Why would I need the 90 degree adapter, ina b-body?
Well I'm trying to put a sixpack set-up in my 74 Charger.
It should fit right in and not require any real modifications.
So, I have the exhaust manifolds, and I chop off the exhaust pipe, take off the old manifold ( 1974) and try to put on the new manifold (1970).
Confused yet ?
So was I when the new (1970 )manifold would not fit ,and wants to hit the oil filter. Apperently there is an adapter to move the oil filter 90 degrees.
So, after some internet research, I order an adapter.
The plate that is on there now has to come off.
There is no nut to put a wrench on. There is 4 small holes in the plate.
Is there a tool for this or a way to do it?

I have an exhaust shop who will change the manifolds and change the pipes , the angles are a bit different, and he will go 2 1/2 inch pipe all the way back.
He wants me to put on the 90 degree adapter before I bring it in, so I need some help getting the existing filter plate off, and then I can install the adapter.

There were instructions on how to install the new adapter, ( put the gasket on the block with gasket adhesive), but no info on how to get the existing plate off.
So I made a tool to grip 2 of the holes in the plate. It was on really tight, and I had a good 1/2 drive breaker bar, but no luck. I put the impact driver on it and broke the tool.
I made a stronger tool with grade 8 x 1/4 bolts sticking in the holes of the oil filter plate. With the impact, it came off, and then I saw the answer to the problem.

The center of the oil filter mounting stud is the exact size of a 3/8 drive ratchet. You need to use an extension to reach into the fitting, and then turn it off.
Now that I have the adapter on, I can install the 1970 reproduction 340 high performance exhaust manifolds. They were made for E-bodies, but will fit any B-body, including with power steering, and have a full 2 1/2 inch outlet.

Auto Transport Service
Back