• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to keep my car dry in an unheated garage

I'm having trouble with condensation moisture on my wheels and the bottom half of my Charger. How should I deal with this? I have heard of people placing carpet under their motorcycles to keep them dry, but will it work on a car?

I have an attached garage on my home non heated non a/c .
I've always put something under the car like tarps , rubber etc and have never had any condensation but the concrete floor must be covered .once I park it that's it I don't start over the winter
Here's a picture seems to work for me

IMG_0275.JPG

I have an attached garage on my home non heated non a/c .
I've always put something under the car like tarps , rubber etc and have never had any condensation but the concrete floor must be covered .once I park it that's it I don't start over the winter
Here's a picture seems to work for me

View attachment 563765
That is all I do but I don't lay down plastic anymore since my garage is now heated . I keep it on at 50 all winter long and bump it up to about 65 when I go out to work on something. Never have any condensation issues to worry about.

Some heat source would help.
Short term you might try a good length of roof de-icing cable on the floor under the car.
It's probably only 300 watts or so, but it would help keep the slab warmer as well as the undercarriage. I used to store my Charger in one side of my barn. I covered the floor and just kept the door shut, particularly when we had warmer damp days following long cold spells.
On dry cooler days I would open the door and let the sun in.

Last week it warmed up to 60 deg after being in the 20's for three weeks. I was trying to keep it no less than 50 degs out there but being so cold outside for so long, it got down to about 40. You're not going to warm up that engine block and gas tank very quick. I was getting condensation on both with the sudden temp change. The humidity went sky high too.

A sealed, well insulated and heated garage with a dehumidifier is the only way to prevent condensation in that situation.

My garage is not heated and I only have the problem about maybe 2 days out of the year at most. I have a large ceiling fan and 2 smaller floor fans I run on those days and it really keeps the vehicles dry just moving the air around and under them. I do not cover the vehicles all winter. Not a big deal.

8A955D68-C5F3-46ED-AFF3-2B7278559E66.jpeg
I’m ready to begin insulating the ceiling. Heat is a little further down the road.
KID

I put down a heavy plastic drop cloth on he cement so it sticks outside of the car 3 feet in every direction. Then I cover that same area with a layer of cardboard and I also have a ceiling fan running slow all the time. I have used this method for many years and never had any problems. You can get all the big cardboard boxes you need out behind any place that sells refrigerators and freezers for nothing. This system works and for very little money invested. Good Luck, Charlie.

Auto Transport Service
Back