• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to keep my car dry in an unheated garage

Cncguy1

Local time
6:36 PM
Reaction score
I'm having trouble with condensation moisture on my wheels and the bottom half of my Charger. How should I deal with this? I have heard of people placing carpet under their motorcycles to keep them dry, but will it work on a car?

I've got this for sale:

Car Capsule – CC16T (16’x72″x80″) indoor CarCapsule, barely used. $200.

The indoor CarCapsule is a clear vinyl “bubble” that completely covers and protects your vehicle from dings, dirt, dust, corrosion, mildew, musty odors, rust, rodents, and even fingerprints that slowly turn it from new to old.

http://www.carcapsule.com/

http://garage-toys.com/carcapulcarc.html

I used this for about two weeks and then we moved into a house with a dry and bigger garage. It went into storage. They go for $350 – $379 plus shipping. You will get two (2) fan motor/assemblies. It is complete with a new intake foam filter!

This one is the tall one (16′) that fits most cars perfectly. All for only $200

When I store my car in my unheated building, I tape a 4 mil layer of visqueen to the concrete floor ,overlapping the car.I never seem to see what you are describing.

I'm having trouble with condensation moisture on my wheels and the bottom half of my Charger. How should I deal with this? I have heard of people placing carpet under their motorcycles to keep them dry, but will it work on a car?
Maybe plywood on the floor, under the whole car?...........................MO

I had the same issue in my metal pole barn until I installed 2 large exhaust fans on each end of the barn. The key is to have the inside the same temp as the outside. The different in temps is what makes the condensation form. This will not completely eliminate the problem, but it will greatly reduce it.

I have a 24 x 28 garage, fully insulated. I use a standard household dehumidifier (drain hose vented outside). Going on 2 1/2 years with no problems. l set the level at 45-50 percent and walk away. I do plan on installing a mini-split system in the Spring...I would like the A/C, heat and dehumidifier in one unit.

Interesting. I've never noticed a problem, but then I've never even thought about it either.

I've got this for sale:

Car Capsule – CC16T (16’x72″x80″) indoor CarCapsule, barely used. $200.

The indoor CarCapsule is a clear vinyl “bubble” that completely covers and protects your vehicle from dings, dirt, dust, corrosion, mildew, musty odors, rust, rodents, and even fingerprints that slowly turn it from new to old.

http://www.carcapsule.com/

http://garage-toys.com/carcapulcarc.html

I used this for about two weeks and then we moved into a house with a dry and bigger garage. It went into storage. They go for $350 – $379 plus shipping. You will get two (2) fan motor/assemblies. It is complete with a new intake foam filter!

This one is the tall one (16′) that fits most cars perfectly. All for only $200
You still have these?

I have the same issue, wrapped my engine in shrink wrap yesterday. Went in there and there was all sorts of condensation on the valve covers and billet components. Hoping that helps.

Light bulbs. Space heater.

When I store my car in my unheated building, I tape a 4 mil layer of visqueen to the concrete floor ,overlapping the car.I never seem to see what you are describing.
Thunder, U are using the Sonny technique!........

BTW do not cover it....also use ceiling fans!
IMG_20160725_150630.jpg

IMG_0424[1].JPG

After using a dehumidifier for years I'm sold on them but they wouldn't be very effecient if the garage isn't fairly well sealed up.

After using a dehumidifier for years I'm sold on them but they wouldn't be very effecient if the garage isn't fairly well sealed up.
I use 2 dehumidifiers...they do help!....but must be over 50 degrees out , or they freeze out

I cover the garage floor with tarps and cover that with a rubber membrane taped together .
I'll take a picture in the morning ..

I cover the garage floor with tarps and cover that with a rubber membrane taped together .
I'll take a picture in the morning ..

yes I do to....must have moisture barrier to prevent it...also have Talc (baby power) on floor to prevent mice & moisture
100_4737.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back