• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to make a better home cooked hamburger ?

We have a grocery chain here that specializes in meat. It's refreshing to grab a cart at the front door and hear the meat saw screaming in the back of the store. Top quality stuff. They have a lot of prime grade beef. Not cheap but very good quality and always fresh.
Fortunate here in Amish country there is a lot of farms around here selling fresh meats. Great steaks and bacon.

Fortunate here in Amish country there is a lot of farms around here selling fresh meats. Great steaks and bacon.
Yes, Amish and Menonites not far away. Excellent products. My son had his deer processed with them. Best I have ever tasted.

Stop buying hamburger from
big chain grocery stores, and
instead, buy from your local
meat processor or butcher
shop. Places like Walmart,
Kroger, Safeway, or
Albertsons, are low bid
buyers who place profit
above quality. The stuff you
get from the big chain
stores are offen treated w/
red dyes that enhance the
appearance of the burger.
Ever wonder why that pack
of burger you bought two or
three days ago still looks
(normal) on the outside,
but when split to make
a burger, is now a ruddy
color on the inside?
Restaurants do not buy
their beef products from
big name grocery stores.

These are pretty good for frozen burgers…in a pinch we will grab them. When we make home made burgers we use 80/20 ground beef and mix in Worcestershire along with this Montreal steak seasoning. Also use brioche rolls toasted. Biggest issue is with the higher fat is the grease flaming up the grille and burning them. Got to watch them. Always turn out good.. This is also good on thick pork chops pan fried in Worcestershire…

View attachment 1619171

That's a great seasoning.. for burgers or pork i used this though.. best rub i have found.. Great when smoking shoulders.

1709380689350.jpeg

I do pork burgers
I reverse sear my Iowa chops as well. THey re 1" thick with a little ring of fat around the edge. I sprinkle them with a little mango seasoning. I smoke them to about 140° and sear them. Let them sit and enjoy.

View attachment 1618909
I do pork burgers, the other meat!! I changed up years ago. I don't do steaks either, ate to many for years and just got tired of red meat in general. There's nothing like a pork steak, chop or burger to finish a good day for dinner. IMO.

I do pork burgers

I do pork burgers, the other meat!! I changed up years ago. I don't do steaks either, ate to many for years and just got tired of red meat in general. There's nothing like a pork steak, chop or burger to finish a good day for dinner. IMO.
Same here.. i kinda lost a taste for beef... amazes me how many people don' t know pork steaks even exist.. or they think you mean a ham steak.. which is not good...

Same here.. i kinda lost a taste for beef... amazes me how many people don' t know pork steaks even exist.. or they think you mean a ham steak.. which is not good...
Someone mention Pork? Here's a smoked loin. Damn, making me hungry!

pork loin3.jpg

pork loin2.jpg

I miss my smoker... been sitting in the garage for like 5 years now.. Ever do a porkloin in a bag in the oven.. my god...
Yep. The oven just cooks the meat. The only flavor you get is what you sprinkle on top.

There is a million ways to bbq a good burger.
But the most important thing is the quality of the beef. Please none of the pre packaged, pre made let me read the lable beef.
You have to start this mission with corn fed midwest raised beef sold fresh by the lb. at your local meat counter.

There is a million ways to bbq a good burger.
But the most important thing is the quality of the beef. Please none of the pre packaged, pre made let me read the lable beef.
You have to start this mission with corn fed midwest raised beef sold fresh by the lb. at your local meat counter.
There ya go. Corn fed tastes best. Grass fed can taste like dairy cow. Yuck!

Got 4 of them in the freezer,
planned for Wednesday's
dinner.
Ham steaks are great, cubed
and added to a nice thick
creamy chowder.
Kinda veered off course a
little, KD isn' looking for a
better tastin' pork steak.
He's 100% correct that one
can't get great tasting
hamburger from sources
that used to supply good
quality beef.
I used to own a deli. prepped
pork roasts, roast beef,
corned beef, pastrami, and
offered old fashioned dogs
(with casings), and a burger
to die for. The quality of
meats have dropped off
dramatically.
Local cutters are your best
bet, as they typically offer
cuts obtained from local
sources, but usually end
up being a little more
expensive. For me, it's
worth it.

There ya go. Corn fed tastes best. Grass fed can taste like dairy cow. Yuck!
My parents had a friend that had a farm and raised cattle. Once a year we would buy a pasture and corn fed hind quarter. We did it as long as I can remember, rarely ever bought beef at a grocery store. I ate so much beef I grew tired of it. One of my reasons for loving Pork.

Got 4 of them in the freezer,
planned for Wednesday's
dinner.
Ham steaks are great, cubed
and added to a nice thick
creamy chowder.
Kinda veered off course a
little, KD isn' looking for a
better tastin' pork steak.
He's 100% correct that one
can't get great tasting
hamburger from sources
that used to supply good
quality beef.
I used to own a deli. prepped
pork roasts, roast beef,
corned beef, pastrami, and
offered old fashioned dogs
(with casings), and a burger
to die for. The quality of
meats have dropped off
dramatically.
Local cutters are your best
bet, as they typically offer
cuts obtained from local
sources, but usually end
up being a little more
expensive. For me, it's
worth it.
And nowdays lean is what the market demands. There goes the flavor and tenderness.

My parents had a friend that had a farm and raised cattle. Once a year we would buy a pasture and corn fed hind quarter. We did it as long as I can remember, rarely ever bought beef at a grocery store. I ate so much beef I grew tired of it. One of my reasons for loving Pork.
Man cannot live by bread
alone.
My menu varies greatly.
From good quality beef to
pacific coast seafood, and
mud bugs in between.
Tex-mex has it's place as
well as boudan and a
crayfish boil. I even like a
good blood or liver sausage
(if you can find them these
days).
The point is, good tastin'
quality meats have
disappeared long about the
time US based slaughter
houses have, and the
general American public
goes along for the ride.

I find it important since I've been watching what I eat, that I eat the best. Some of the food is no longer as it was years ago, some better, but most worse for the most part. Pork, a ton of veggies is my go to foods now. A few weeks ago, I took a group of friends out for dinner, and I had my first milkshake in over a year. My God, I thought I'd died and went to heaven. I had a blast!!

These are the best ever. Get a roll that fits too.
Sams.
604D77CB-81EF-4923-AE59-21F577038E88.png

Smaller butcher shops have an actual shop with a meat saw, grinder and the like. They have quarters or sides of beef hanging in the cooler and cut it up to sell. Big stores get their beef in cases from the processor. If the shops have a case of sirloin steak or some roasts that are starting to age, it's time to grind it up into ground beef. That's where the good stuff comes from. Like an old butcher friend of mine used to say, "sell it or smell it". Places like Sams that have a butcher shop behind glass probably grind up the older inventory for ground beef. I do know they don't have a walk in cooler with sides hanging in it. The meat they sell is prepackaged from the processing plant. They do at least sell prime and choice grades of steaks and roasts. You can go in and buy a nice big prime rib roast or filet. $$$$$$ regardless.
FYI The burger in those long tubes for cheap price is exactly that...cheap! Be careful eating the stuff. You may break a tooth on a bone chip or gristle.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back