• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to make a better home cooked hamburger ?

we have a friend who raises beef a couple doors from home , we get a quarter cow a year . with just two of us at home that’s does us . add at least one good whitetail ( sometimes 2 ) we got the red meat covered . if we need something else there is plenty in the area . i have been taking some deer meat to a local butcher who makes hotdogs . this time we took a little extra deer in for his fresh polish and smoked polish sausage and some snack sticks ( like a slim jim ) . we try to avoid the big store meats as much as we can and shop the little locals as it’s better food .P.S. this is a great thread , i love hearing other ideas on different food and local food ideas .

Last edited:
I have tried making burgers twice since I started this thread.
The first attempt was a failure. It was after dark and the patio light is some pathetic 6 watt bulb or something like it. I couldn't see the burgers getting burned. They turned out like hockey pucks.
The second time was after daylight saving time change so I could see just fine. THEN the bar b que conked out. The burners barely put out flames. I changed the propane tank and it was no better. This is usually a clog in the regulator requiring a replacement. I ended up pan frying them.
I used onion soup mix since I had no Worcestershire sauce. I mixed just over 1 lb of 80/20 ground beef with 1 packet of the soup mix. I thought it came out a bit overseasoned. Maybe 3/4 of a packet would be better. The wife liked them but she is just grateful that I actually cooked something for us. She is a gem...she appreciates even the small efforts.

Your regulator might just need to be burped to get it to work again.

I've smacked them with hammers before. It may have worked once or twice.
I'm quite familiar with burping, just not with a propane grille.

I like smoking mine then reverse sear.

Start out with quality beef
from your local butcher
shop. 80/20 sirloin.
Form the patties as your
desired thickness. (This will
of course, affect your
cooking times.) The less
you handle your meat,
the better. :lol:
You want a good hot set of
coals in the Barby, grill set
at 3-4" from the coals.
Melt a stick of butter in a
small sauce pan.
Place your burgers at the
center of the grill. Allow to
cook approximately 3-4 minutes (1-1/2 thick burger)
pour a little butter over the
patties and allow the resulting flame to die down.
(careful, as you might think
this is a little violent). Flip
the patties and repeat the
process.
Burger King comes close to
this, minus the butter, as
their burgers are cooked
over an open grate. Not
a griddle.
A (charbroil) taste is what
brings hamburgers to their
ultimate.
(P.S-Completed a culinary
course in Florida so I could
open my restaurant).

I've smacked them with hammers before. It may have worked once or twice.
I'm quite familiar with burping, just not with a propane grille.
Close the tank valve, open the burners to bleed them, disconnect the line from the tank, close everything, reconnect the line to the tank, open the tank valve, see if you can light a burner.

just downed a couple burgers......

two things I cannot do without..... potato buns and these pickles, possible the greatest pickles ever

1712699265648.png

I love to eat a good burger.

947AFB5C-7441-4F4D-B11D-AE018FDEE6EC.jpeg

Wow that looks really good. My friend grinds his own burger, 3 sirloin steaks, one brisket, and 10 pounds of 80% burger. He makes them into patties and freezes them. He has given me a few to try and they were quite good.
I’m looking forward to try Ramseys burger.

Even though I can’t stand this guy I have to admit he know how to cook. I see lots of chefs are basting almost everything with butter. I guess butter makes everything better. Kim
The butter is mainly for the
carmalization. Same for
char-broiled steaks and
burgers on the grill.

I do have to apologize in case this is too dang boring of a topic.
In short, since retirement, I've taken on more of the household duties and lessened the load on the wife since she is still working.

I love hamburgers but for some reason, no matter how I season or cook mine, they lack the flavor of the ones we have had at sit down and fast food restaurants.
The meat tastes bland. I've tried different types of meat with "lean" count between 7% to 15%, I've salted, peppered, seasoned mixes and still the meat tastes bland.
I have taken to a quickie pan toasting of the buns to give them a bit of charred flavor like we did at Burger King, my first payroll job as a kid.
The problem though is the meat.....What am I missing?
The father in law has sometimes smeared mustard on his steaks when he has them on the bar-b-que. Have you tried that?
I've been to decent restaurants and been really impressed with their burgers and left wondering what the heck I'm doing wrong.
Suggestions?

I am not going to read all these posts , but , have u guys tried mincing onions and mixing it in the h.b. meat before grilling ? And add a sprinkle of garlic salt to them on the grill....

Auto Transport Service
Back