• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to make a better home cooked hamburger ?

Cheebugga cheebugguh cheebugguh
I was busier than a 1 armed paper hanger that afternoon/evening. We used to do it with 2 gas grilles and I don't think the hair on my arm has still grown back. The flare ups were nasty. Flat iron id=s the way to go for that cook. I could cook 2 dozen at a time and there were still times when I couldn't keep up.

That is what mom used to call it… born in Tennessee.

20% ground chuck. Make them big and don't over cook them. I like to smoke them on my Pit Boss and then reverse sear them. Best burger ever. Spices? Salt and some fresh cracked pepper works for me. (same as I use on my Brisket)
I agree not to use too lean for burgers. Especially on the grill. Let the grilling do some of the work. Lol.

Leave the lean stuff for like chillies or gumbo.

Hey I think we might have burgers tonight...!
On our menu for tomorrow night! Can't wait! My mouth is watering just reading this thread lol

20240301_171311.jpg

My wife also made homemade apple cake and vanilla ice cream today so we'll be eating good this weekend :thumbsup:

20240301_171339.jpg

Sometimes the food tastes so good, I don’t mind being a little fat.

I must demur here; quality meat is of the essence, and I mean non fatty stuff. 80/20 is too greasy imho. Ground Round or Ground Chuck please.
The best burgers are char grilled, but not everyone has that luxury . I would add that worcestershire is a good add to mix in the meat; may I suggest Colgin brand 'Gourmet' Hickory smoke flavoured Worcestershire. Good stuff.

Little did I know a comment on another thread yesterday would spawn this full-blown one today...
I am a bit of a hamburger "snob" - I've bought and tried most of those brand name ones in stores
and found them all lacking - and I sure as hell will not buy any meat from WallyWorld (I've been in
their processing/distribution facilities - nope, nope, nope).

Being an enthusiastic amateur cook these days, I've learned a few things along the way by simply
following a few basics:
1. Find the best meat in the area (talking store stuff here usually) and stick with it.
In our area, it's none of the big chain stores, but a little IGA about 20 miles away has them all beat
(their suppliers are Kentucky grass-fed types of ranchers).
Got to be fresh beef, at least when bought...

2. If you're making burgers, FAT MATTERS. A Lot. The stores will sometimes do a "loss leader" $2.99/lb
hamburger sale (gotta buy it at 3lbs or more big packs) that make fantastic burgers.
Leaner beef is great in sauces and tacos and such, but for burgers, the meat flavor is the thing first.

3. I've all but permanently shut down the gas grill, never use the thing anymore...
I've about worn out a flat griddle instead. You work one of those properly, amazing things happen.

4. Everybody knows how to mimic their parents and scorch up a regular burger, throw some salt and
pepper on the thing, what have you.
My burger learning journey really began when, disgusted with what all the big chain burger joints had
become in this part of the country, I started wanting to know how to replicate what they used to be
before they went all to hell, so I sought out recipes, watched old training videos, all of that.

This of course expanded to doing the same with burger chains I'd never experienced in this part of
the country - the Smashburger, the Whataburger, the In n Out, the Steak and Ale burger - and has
taken me all over the map researching and replicating old recipes.

Amazing, all the ways you can do this - and as a result, the old el cheapo burger dinner never gets
old - and it's a poor mans' way of experimenting and exploring dinners without breaking the bank.

I removed the propane gas regulator and put in an adjustable regulator. When you first light just crack the regulator open, wouldn't want to scorch those red eyebrows. Then work on how much flame you want. With the regulator that comes with a grill to get a rare or medium rare burger they need to be 1" thick, haha.
One thing about doing the adjustable regulator you can burn a marbled steak beyond recognition easily.

Fresh local ground beef. Finely minced onion mixed into well patted patties. Thickness is personal preference. The mixed onion is always a big hit at my back yard get togethers.
8ba81a5dab27dc21a28703961563f6f9.gif

(You didn't hear a thing I said, did you?)

Fresh local ground beef. Finely minced onion mixed into well patted patties. Thickness is personal preference. The mixed onion is always a big hit at my back yard get togethers.
View attachment 1619070

(You didn't hear a thing I said, did you?)
I'd eat that.......lol

Walmart sells those, i haven't tried them though...
I usually grab these cause they are so cheap

View attachment 1618946
These are pretty good for frozen burgers…in a pinch we will grab them. When we make home made burgers we use 80/20 ground beef and mix in Worcestershire along with this Montreal steak seasoning. Also use brioche rolls toasted. Biggest issue is with the higher fat is the grease flaming up the grille and burning them. Got to watch them. Always turn out good.. This is also good on thick pork chops pan fried in Worcestershire…

IMG_5948.jpeg

Mr moparedtn raises a valid point; QUALITY meat is imperative and quality anything cannot be found at the evil empire [w*lm**t] or similar. I would have thought it unnecessary to broach this subject with such an informed and erudite audience as this forum, but do NOT try and get your meat at the evil empire. Of course, you shouldnt be in the evil for anything else for any reason, but especially food stuffs. The best meat consistently will be from local ranchers either directly or at a Farmers Market. Next best will be a local meat specialty store or Mom & Pop local grocery. Avoid the evil empire and the like [costco and such] like the plague.
Shop small, shop local and use cash.

We have a grocery chain here that specializes in meat. It's refreshing to grab a cart at the front door and hear the meat saw screaming in the back of the store. Top quality stuff. They have a lot of prime grade beef. Not cheap but very good quality and always fresh.

Walmart puts red food dye on/in their beef.
Ask yourself why they would need to do that.

Auto Transport Service
Back