• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to properly install a new Pitman Steering Arm?

MoparGuy68

Local time
6:38 PM
Reaction score
Sounds like it should be easy, but I have no idea how to do this. Currently my centerlink is attached and torqued down to the idler arm (I never removed this connection). When I took all this apart, which was 3 months ago, I did the following:

To Remove:

1) Loosen driver inner tie rod from center link with a puller (would not come out yet)
2) Loosen pitman arm from center link with a lot of pounding on a pickle fork.
3) Remove driver inner tie rod from center link
4) Remove pitman arm from center link, I think I was just barely able to pull the center link off the shaft.
5) Remove the gearbox output shaft nut with an impact wrench
6) Pull the pitman arm off the output shaft with a puller.

To install: ???

1) If I attempt to attach the pitman arm to the output shaft and tighten it down without using a torque wrench, I can just barely get the arm to seat a little on the shaft, it still hangs down very low. The bottom of the shaft doesn't even protrude through the nut when the lock wash is installed. When doing this there is no way to get the other end of the pitman arm inserted into the centerlink hole.
2) If I insert the pitman arm in the centerlink hole first, then I can't get the arm onto the output shaft on the other end.

I have no idea what the proper procedure is for doing this.. I'm guessing that what I'm going to have to do, is pull the centerlink off of the idler arm first. Then try to attach the idler arm, pitman arm, and both tie rod ends at the same time. Then attach the pitman arm to output shaft. Or are there different steps I should be following? The factory service manual does not provide any instructions on how to do this.

Seems like the pitman arm and idler arm really should be at the same heights in relation to the center link. Don't know how that can be accomplished without fully torquing the pitman arm onto the output shaft FIRST, which means applying at least 100 ft lbs of force against the output shaft when it is at its end stop, which sounds very bad to me..

The last photo shows how low the arm hangs down off the shaft without breaking out my monster torque wrench and really cranking it down HARD.

IMG_2092.jpg IMG_2093.jpg IMG_2094.jpg IMG_2096.jpg IMG_2097.jpg

unbolt the idler arm, then the center link will move around easier to install pitman arm. Then install the idler arm again.

unbolt the idler arm, then the center link will move around easier to install pitman arm. Then install the idler arm again.
Do you mean unbolt the idler arm from the K-Frame leaving the centerlink attached to the idler arm, then reinstall on the K-Frame? So not pulling the centerlink off the idler arm?

If I unbolt the idler arm from the K-Frame the entire centerlink will come completely off the car with the idler arm still attached to it..

yes unbolt it from the frame. Install the pitman arm and idler arm on the center link, then install the pitman arm on the box then install the idler arm. On the idler arm make sure you install the bolt from the top down, in the pictures you have it from the bottom with the nut on top. you want it from the top down in case the nut comes off, the bolt coming from bottom will fall out. Safety first.

Take the center link back off of the idler arm, install the pitman arm onto the steering gear shaft and tighten to the proper torque. Then, install the center link on the pitman and idler arms, and tighten them properly. Then, install the tie rods to the center link, and then the steering knuckles and tighten properly.

Last edited:
i found this link. https://forums.4wdmechanix.com/topic/222-installing-a-pitman-arm-correctly/

He confirms the part about not torquing the pitman arm on the output shaft against full stop on the box. Even before i read this I suspected that was a no-no.

i removed all the powder coating from inside the splined hole in the pitman arm like he suggested.

i currently have the idler arm and centerlink removed from the car..

Have to have the bolt going in from the bottom and nut on top. The bolt will NOT go in from the top. The unthreaded part of the bolt is too large in diameter to fit in the idler arm hole from the top. It only works going in from the bottom.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back