• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to remove Exhaust Manifolds 69 440 do you need special tool? HELP

CRAIGXLH1

Local time
3:52 PM
Reaction score
How to remove Exhaust Manifolds 69 440 do you need special tool? I have a 69 GTX It have a 69 non HP block I want to put headers on it. the nuts I can get to take a 9/16 socket but on left side has 1 countsunk hole and the right side has 2 countsunk holes I can only get a 7/16 socket in them which not right size. does these exhaust nuts take a special tool or allen wrench or some other tool to get to these nuts
thanks in advance
craig:upside down:

Unless someone did something differently it should have 3 shoulder bolts that stick out and you can see them (the head of the bolt/nut) here is a pic of the bolts..

EXH-FK8065.jpg

How to remove Exhaust Manifolds 69 440 do you need special tool? I have a 69 GTX It have a 69 non HP block I want to put headers on it. the nuts I can get to take a 9/16 socket but on left side has 1 countsunk hole and the right side has 2 countsunk holes I can only get a 7/16 socket in them which not right size. does these exhaust nuts take a special tool or allen wrench or some other tool to get to these nuts
thanks in advance
craig:upside down:

Unless someone did something differently it should have 3 shoulder bolts that stick out and you can see them (the head of the bolt/nut) here is a pic of the bolts..

EXH-FK8065.jpg

Maybe who put this engine together never put them on I have to try to see if Manifold come off after I take off the other nuts thank you

I was thinking I hope those 3 studs are broken off. I hope not that mean I have pull the heads off and have burn out it be my luck find out tomorrow

I was thinking I hope those 3 studs are broken off. I hope not that mean I have pull the heads off and have burn out it be my luck find out tomorrow

There where allen screws in the 3 counterbore hole nothing broken into I remove the studs with a stud remove tool I still broke one. lucky it was in front I jack the side of motor so I could drill the hole and use a endmill to clean the hole up and retap it. lucky I didn't need to pull the head I guess working as machinist for 30 years helped.tomorrow I try install the doug headers. thank folk
craig

When you put it back together,remember the bolt holes are "wet" and you need to use sealant on the threads:icon_weed:

Do you need a special tool?

Only if you are going to give it the Aunt Jamimah Treatment

[video=youtube_share;-hOhhgrM3bs]http://youtu.be/-hOhhgrM3bs[/video]

Auto Transport Service
Back