• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to replace the transmission mount?

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:27 PM
Reaction score
Right now i'm in the process of replacing my engine mounts and @DeltaV recommended to replace the transmission mount aswell.
Well i already got a replacement and its just 1 mount so i think i should do it (if possible).

But how do i do it?

It's a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T with the original 440 and 727 transmission combo.

I have to do this in my driveway.

Is this any easier than replacing the engine mounts?

So far i have not found a picture of my exact setup but i suspect it does look more or less like this?

451_6e55978f-5a6c-415b-af3b-fe2b1f304a18_1024x1024.jpg

So am i just going to support the transmission with a jack or something
then unbolt the "cross member" & transmission mount
then put the new one in and screw everything back together?

In this picture it looks pretty easy actually.
Is it "that" easy?

If so which is the best location to support the transmission from?

Well of course it's not that easy...

001-1969-dodge-daytona-undercarriage-restored.jpg

Is it possible without removing the exhaust?

If no one knows i will have to look under my car to see if its possible to do it without dropping the exhaust.

But i think i will have to support the transmission behind the "transmission member" at the very end of the transmission (trunk side) and NOT on the transmission pan (engine side)?

Do have a factory service manual for your specific car ?
Transmission mounts are not that hard to replace.
Surely there is a U Tube video of that.

Yep support Trans unbolt mount pull old transmount off. Then do it in reverse to put back together. Do you have headers or dual exhaust. If headers can remove exhaust pipes at collector for more space. If dual exhaust follow pipes to wear they connect at manifold and loosen at that point. But you have to tell us how close exhaust is.

Yep support Trans unbolt mount pull old transmount off. Then do it in reverse to put back together.

Does the old mount come out without removing/unbolting the "member/bracket" that connects the transmission (mount) to the unibody frame? Probably not?
Where to support the transmission? On what location/part of it?

Do you have headers or dual exhaust. If headers can remove exhaust pipes at collector for more space. If dual exhaust follow pipes to wear they connect at manifold and loosen at that point. But you have to tell us how close exhaust is.

I got the original exhaust manifolds.
So i need to disconnect the pipes from the manifolds? Since there is not a lot of working room i hoped i do not have to do that.

You should think of taking it to a shop to do it. Because if the exhaust bolts and nuts have not been removed in a long time well it can be a bitch. So from doing your motor mounts to exhaust well same difference. I can appreciate you wanting to work on your car but again some guys are great at redoing everything and some guys are better off just keeping air in the tires and keep it shined up. But if you are going to do make sure to soak up the exhaust nuts so they can be removed easier. I also have to ask what does your tool box look like. You should have have the minimum 3/8 sockets and screw drivers and just your basic tool set.

The drivers side will be no problem to get loose, i already had it loose because the gasket was shot.
So most likely i will be able to get the passenger side off aswell. I just do not want to do it but that's another story.
If i had a shop that performs work at my standards i would not have started to work on the car myself. But i'm doing better work in my driveway with my limited experience than the shops that i know of. They would treat this vehicle like a 500$ beater car.

Anyway i pretty much understand how it is being done by now.
The only thing i still need to know is where i have to support the transmission. On the Transmission Pan (probably not?) or at the very end just before it connects to the driveshaft?

The drivers side will be no problem to get loose, i already had it loose because the gasket was shot.
So most likely i will be able to get the passenger side off aswell. I just do not want to do it but that's another story.
If i had a shop that performs work at my standards i would not have started to work on the car myself. But i'm doing better work in my driveway with my limited experience than the shops that i know of. They would treat this vehicle like a 500$ beater car.

Anyway i pretty much understand how it is being done by now.
The only thing i still need to know is where i have to support the transmission. On the Transmission Pan (probably not?) or at the very end just before it connects to the driveshaft?

On the pan with a block of wood that goes across the whole pan or by the tail shaft. once you have the exhaust out of the way to clear the transmission crossmember remove the two bolts that bolt the mount to the trans then Jack the trans just enough to see a tiny bit of clearance between the trans and mount. Next remove the four bolts holding the crossmember to the unibody and remove the crossmember. Then you can replace the trans mount on the bench and reinstall in the reverse order.

Last edited:
On the pan with a block of wood that goes across the whole pan or by the tail shaft

So basically both works, thanks.
If i do it i will try to support it on the tailshaft just to be safe.

So basically both works, thanks.
If i do it i will try to support it on the tailshaft just to be safe.
Yes both work also look at my post above I edited it with instructions that should help you out some.

On the pan with a block of wood that goes across the whole pan or by the tail shaft. once you have the exhaust out of the way to clear the transmission crossmember remove the two bolts that bolt the mount to the trans then Jack the trans just enough to see a tiny bit of clearance between the trans and mount. Next remove the four bolts holding the crossmember to the unibody and remove the crossmember. Then you can replace the trans mount on the bench and reinstall in the reverse order.

Yes both work also look at my post above I edited it with instructions that should help you out some.

Thanks!

Well one thing i have seen. If i will keep working on this car in the future i have to get a bigger garage, lift and probably some additional tools at some point.
Or i will end up as everything but a happy camper.

But for now i have no choice so i will try my best to get it done with what i have.

Loosen the bolts on the crossmember and transmission, Jack up the tailshaft and slide the mount out. Install the new mount and install the bolts. lower the tailshaft and tighten the bolts.

The picture below is from my 1970 Charger Factory Service Manual. Your transmission mount might be similar.

Note the following in the picture below:
A: One nut for rear mount.
B: Two bolts for rear mount.
C: Four bolts, washers, and nuts for transmission cross member.

IMG_20220626_212556760~2.jpg

Is your driveway concrete, gravel, or dirt?

I would not jack it up by the tail shaft. Put a piece of plywood under the pan and slightly support the trans with that. The exhaust may or may not need to be loosened/removed to get the trans X member out. Unbolt the trans mount from the trans. remove the trans X member bolts and see if it clears the exhaust.

Thanks very much!!!
Well hopefully the exhaust is 100% stock (manifolds are for sure) and it really clears without dropping the pipes. :)

But i'm doing better work in my driveway with my limited experience than the shops that i know of.
Please tell us more about the successfull repairs that you have already done in your driveway better than the shops you know. How well did the car drive after your repairs?

Please tell us more about the successfull repairs that you have already done in your driveway better than the shops you know. How well did the car drive after your repairs?

Give me a couple more weeks and i hope i can deliver those success stories.
Otherwise i might be going nuts. :D

Auto Transport Service
Back