• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to restore front grill on 66-67 Charger?

Dave383

Local time
9:25 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know how were the headlight bezels for 1st gen Charger made in factory and what paint was used for the black background? To me it looks like they used cast aluminum, painted front of the cover mat black and then polished the paint off the ribs. But I could be wrong ... and screw up the parts with my restoration attempt.

My idea is to get the old paint of the part with solvent/paint remover. Mask the ribs with thin tape and then take rotary polisher to it. There are dings and deep scratches that cannot be removed an that is fine. My car will never be perfect but the pealing paint on the grill bothers me.

I took a picture of the good one. It looks ok but pressure washer would take the paint off in places. Other side has almost no paint left on it.

20220612_201013.jpg

I think you are on the right path. I used a paint stripper. Brake cleaned the surfaces then have used SEM Trim paint, or Dominion Trim paint. Both have worked.
you most likely have it done. Only saw your post today.

I polish the living **** out of them, scuff the area’s that are to be painted and hit them with enamel. If you’re quick, you can use a q-tip and acetone to get the paint off the polished areas. Or mask with fine line tape. Your choice.

I polish the living **** out of them, scuff the area’s that are to be painted and hit them with enamel. If you’re quick, you can use a q-tip and acetone to get the paint off the polished areas. Or mask with fine line tape. Your choice.
Spot on. I prefer the tape because you just rip them off when you're done, and you're done.
A nice satin black.

Auto Transport Service
Back