• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HP blocks

I run a '78 440 that is stamped "EHP"

My head's starting to hurt.

Copied and pasted from another site from another post asking about the stamping...

8T = 1978 (All 440's in 1978 were stamped 8T)

E = Cast Crank (All 1978 440's had cast cranks)

HP = High Performance

Gee not sure where those specs came from, but many are not correct. A 440 had a 3.75 stroke and a 4.32 bore as stock. The 4.25 bore was for a 426 Wedge. No idea what those 1972-74 dimensions relate to.

Looks like a lot of typos from a data processor.

Gee not sure where those specs came from, but many are not correct. A 440 had a 3.75 stroke and a 4.32 bore as stock. The 4.25 bore was for a 426 Wedge. No idea what those 1972-74 dimensions relate to.
361 for some reason.

Were the 1966 365 hp. 440 dual exhaust motors in "C" bodies stamped HP? As opposed to 350 hp. single exhaust. I know these engines still had the smaller port/exhaust valve heads. HP engines also had windage trays from factory.
My first car was a Chrysler 300, 440 TNT. Unsure regarding the stamping on the block machine pad, but it did have the smaller valves and dual exhaust. My car from college, a 67 GTX, 440 Super Command does have the C 440 HP stamping with 915 heads (I still have it). Our family also had a 65 Chrysler New Yorker with a 413.
I have always been under the opinion that 66 was the first year of the non-hp 440 and 67 was the first for the HP 440.

Have two 78 440's that came out of police interecptors. Both are stamped HP.

The blocks stamped HP are no different than the low perf blocks. I have tested dozens. All the same. Just saying.

Because I have a date code 70 motor for sale and everyone wants to know if it is an HP block.
If it was by chance built as an HP engine it will be stamped HP in the lower right side of identification pad.
As stated all 440 blocks are all the same just some were assembled as an HP engine option at the factory thus the HP stamp.
Just means some internals were different than what a standard 440 came with.

mines a 67 HP block , looks like dis...

1657143508019.png

Here's the bottom line. HP means squat. Year of casting means squat unless you are doing a fancy resto. For a street car nearly any block will work. Power wise you can't beat the thickest bore wall with the least core shift. That being said. These could be any year block from any vehicle. You won't know unless you test it. Real power will require a non factory block. Two stamped letters shouldn't excite anyone.
Doug

OP was just asking what years they were produced.
i think 67-72 was the answer?

My ‘68 383 2bbl. has 440 HP heads. :D

And what are 440 HP heads?
The open chamber big block head that Chrysler made from ‘68-‘70. It was on all big block passenger car engines. I work with a guy who purchased a ‘74 Duster with what he said was a ‘70 383 transplant. He said to me “I want 440 heads for it” He didn’t believe me when I said “you already have them”. I knew that back in 1984, when I bought a ‘69 Newport for daily transportation, and it had the same heads as my V code ‘Cuda. Funny thing is, my ‘68 Satellite 4 door 383 2bbl. was outside, and I told him it had the same head as the 440 those years. I wasn’t about to pull the valve cover to prove it to him, because they have never been off. Chrysler wasn’t like GM, with money to offer a low performance station wagon head as well as a HP head. So they just built one good one.

And what are 440 HP heads?
Wellllll.....to get technical, in 67 on the L code motors, they actually had HP stamped on the end of the head.
You could truly say, you have 440HP heads.

in 67 on the L code motors, they actually had HP stamped on the end of the head.
These are the ones I like, even on the 383....

The open chamber big block head that Chrysler made from ‘68-‘70. It was on all big block passenger car engines. I work with a guy who purchased a ‘74 Duster with what he said was a ‘70 383 transplant. He said to me “I want 440 heads for it” He didn’t believe me when I said “you already have them”. I knew that back in 1984, when I bought a ‘69 Newport for daily transportation, and it had the same heads as my V code ‘Cuda. Funny thing is, my ‘68 Satellite 4 door 383 2bbl. was outside, and I told him it had the same head as the 440 those years. I wasn’t about to pull the valve cover to prove it to him, because they have never been off. Chrysler wasn’t like GM, with money to offer a low performance station wagon head as well as a HP head. So they just built one good one.
Have your ever pulled the valve covers off the '68 383 2bbl? It has been my experience that many, if not all, '68 383 2bbl engines were sent out with 250 heads and not 906. Kinda like 1971 383 2bbl engines were cast crank engines.

Have your ever pulled the valve covers off the '68 383 2bbl? It has been my experience that many, if not all, '68 383 2bbl engines were sent out with 250 heads and not 906. Kinda like 1971 383 2bbl engines were cast crank engines.
Every ‘68-‘70 383 2 bbl I’ve seen since ‘84 had 906 heads from the factory. I think the confusion goes back to 1968 when Plymouth said the 383 road runner had “440 heads”.
6403396C-2ADB-4EFE-90E1-D6A28260202C.jpeg

Last edited:
Wellllll.....to get technical, in 67 on the L code motors, they actually had HP stamped on the end of the head.
No idea what stamping numbers mean. What is the casting number and the valve size?

Auto Transport Service
Back