• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Humbly requesting some free information from my early b body brothers...brakes!

Hosehead

Local time
4:46 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys, what master cylinder should I buy if I am using those f,m,j body disc brakes? Proportioning valve? Also, I put a 66 column shift column in my car to avoid the cable shift stuff so what years of the b body column shift linkage can I use? Thanks in advance for any info!

Well, you shouldn't be using the FJM spindles, you should be using the proper 73-76 A-body pieces. Aside from that I would get an adapter from AR Engineering. I used a manual disc/drum master from a 91 D-150 and was happy with it. I'm guessing that you have a 66 column but still have a push button trans, the only way now is to get a setup from a 65 b-body. I think you may still have to deal with cables though, but i'm not sure.

Yeah, I don't think there is anything wrong with the spindles I'm using. I know several folks using these(for quite some time) that will be going much faster than this car will. Also, the car was and still is a column shifted car. I was looking for other years of mechanical linkage that I could use with my 66 column shift steering column in my 65 belvedere with a 1971 727 trans. Thanks.

On my 63 the brakes are all stock as it has power drums brakes on all 4 corners. I went to the Master Cyl you see here as its for a 67-68 Sattilite. It bolted right on and fit perfect with no mods. Gotta have a dual Matser Cyl to race in my opinion. Ron

eng.jpg

Thanks, Ron! I will look into finding a later b body master cylinder like yours.

I think that's a drum/drum m/c.

I got the "kit" from ernberg, and it had that adaptor (4 bolt firewall to 2 bolt m/c) and a standard late model 2 bolt m/c with the removeable plastic reservoir.

Those m/c's are CHEAP and I think the adaptor is $50.

Don't forget the prop valve.

I'm pretty much convinced that all prop valves from 72 all the way up into the early 90's (trucks), are the same.
They kind of look like the state of Texas.

bending and double flaring the lines will be the most difficult part, as I don't think prebent ones exist.

Hey guys, what master cylinder should I buy if I am using those f,m,j body disc brakes? Proportioning valve? Also, I put a 66 column shift column in my car to avoid the cable shift stuff so what years of the b body column shift linkage can I use? Thanks in advance for any info!

Use a porportioning valve from the "M" body will work fine. As for a master use a 68-69 b-body part# 2944376 master, bore size 1 1/8.

I have a question ,do you need a prop valve with drum brakes .

Yes you still need a prop valve as my 63 still has the stock one on it. It will still help keep the rear wheels from locking up on hard stops. And yes my Master Cyl is for drum brakes on all 4 corners. If you have disc up front just make sure you get one for front disc as it will not have the redisual check valve in it for the front disc part. Ron

Lokar sells a kit for the column shifter

Do you have any details of the Lokar kit? Their website only shows cables for column shifters and only for off brands, no mopar.
I too am using a 66 column in the 65 Belvedere.

Auto Transport Service
Back