• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hunter on car tire spin balancer model 107A

bigaadams

Local time
12:28 AM
Reaction score
Evening everyone...I have had in my shop for the longest time a Hunter 107A spin balancers with adapter rings for 13, 14 and 15 inch wheel...it has been over 40 years since I have used one of these and I do not have a manual. I am seeking a copy or reprint and even the Hunter engineering archives was not of help. My internet searches come up empty... Anyone here familiar enough to give me a run down on using this?..I would so much like to get it up and running..as a kid..we all would seek out the shops that used these balancers...can you say Wide O ovals...lol

this is the model with the green and red add/detract rings that are finger actuated during the spin process....

To quote Tudor Turtle..........HELP ME MR WIZARD...

Thanks one and all...

though my searches kept coming up empty I found in very small print on the head of the unit the words "tune in" and I do mean small print.. that has lead to some returns describing the unit and I think I have found the booklet...does not say model specific on it...am sending a note asking if the model is listed as covered by his booklet.

Thanks

I can't remember either. It was 40 years ago for me too. But I did like them. they balanced the whole assembly, not just the tire and wheel, but that could be a drawback when you rotated tires. I didn't care cause I always had big n little tires.....

I sat down with the unit and took the cover off the mech...looking at the knob functions, then it about all came back to me..the outer two knobs controlled the rotation of the unit left and right around the wheel as you found the place that need the weight..then you fine tuned the exact amount of weight +/- with the inner two knobs...one adds weight the other removes..when you have the right spot and right weight..you stop and there is an arrow on the head that points exactly to where you tack the weight...I ALSO REMEMBER THAT it is not to be used on sure-trac or posi's by any other name.....balance on the front..then mount on the rear..I also have an older strobe balance unit that is supposed to aid in the balance of driveshafts...I have accumulated lot of this stuff over the years..placed aside..some gets used, some just collects dust..thinking of thinning out a bit of it now...time will tell...

best to pull your drums or rotors and have them balanced then balance tires

rotors and drums are balanced at time of manufactuer..if you exceed mach 1 on the strip you may need a micro balancing of said components...not wanting to upset anyone here but the purpose of my thread was to find a booklet, not discuss the merits of the balancer per individual...everyone I know has their own ideas, preferred methods and favorite tools...that would be just too much to put into a single topic

..the outer two knobs controlled the rotation of the unit left and right around the wheel as you found the place that need the weight..then you fine tuned the exact amount of weight +/- with the inner two knobs...

Wow, that's a blast from the past. In high school in 1975 I was a cashier at a small service station and the old guy in the back used one of those. He'd get the wheel spinning with a small friction motor and I'd watch him fiddle with the four disks. It's as clear in my mind as if he'd done it yesterday. Cool device you've got there.

They are and were great balancers there biggest job was to fix cars that the old bubble balancer did not

Best way to get the balance right IMHO is to ret your forehead on the fender to feel the balance. If I remember correctly there main issue is not fitting some rims correctly and what happens then.

edit: Not all drums and rotors were balanced, just most would not give any issues. And good loose bearings could pinpoint those.

Last edited:
though my searches kept coming up empty I found in very small print on the head of the unit the words "tune in" and I do mean small print.. that has lead to some returns describing the unit and I think I have found the booklet...does not say model specific on it...am sending a note asking if the model is listed as covered by his booklet.

Thanks

Blast from the past for me too! My first job was in a Kelley-Springfield tire store as a general flunkie (and not a very good one at that). Was the end of my Soph. yr of high school, 1978. The mechanic could operate one of those things like a first fiddlist at the symphony. They hired another mechanic who was pretty good with one of those balancers too.

Thanks
This might be a long shot but is there a Tech. College near by that teaches auto mechanics? I realize the modern equipment is different but you never know maybe one of the older instructors can help you out.

have you googled the make and model number and "operators manual"?

I was able to find a manual for a 1961 McCulloch chainsaw after some googling

A blast from the past is right! One ring rotates the weight to the right and the other ring brings it back to the left. The other two rings add or subtract weight as needed. I used to rest my hand on the fender with my pointer finger extended. When your finger quits wiggling and is steady you are in balance. As said before, front tires or open rear ends only and I wouldn't want to mess with new cars either. (of course you don't have the adapter rings for anything bigger than a 15" wheel.) tmm

You can also watch the antenna. You'll know when you get it right.

I used to work in an alignment shop here in Nebraska and that's what they used on most all the cars... To my knowledge they still use them... I know on posi vehicles when balancing the rear we would pull off opposite wheel and spin just one then bolt it back on and balance it last... They had a little electric motor.. Not really little tho.. That would spin the fronts up to speed... Honestly the best finished product ive felt .. It balances everything as a unit.... And if u go pulling tires, drums off the axle, we would just mark 2 wheel studs, drum and use valve stem as refence for reassembly..... I can get their phone number for ya I'd you'd like....the techs there are awesome..... The rookie has 35+ yrs experience

Auto Transport Service
Back