• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hurst Shifter

Xtro

Local time
1:08 PM
Reaction score
My shifter does not have HURST written on it. Did some come released without the writing on them. Ive found a couple on the net that are period correct for the car and they have the HURST logo on them. If they came out without the writing on them then I may leave it but if its incorrect I will change it. Any info please.

Shifter.JPG

It looks like an Indy shifter which was factory in 68 and 69. For some reason they broke away from Hurst and then went back after enough car buyers were disappointed with it.

It looks like an Indy shifter which was factory in 68 and 69. For some reason they broke away from Hurst and then went back after enough car buyers were disappointed with it.
Was Indy still made by Hurst? When I google it all I can find is that it still was a Hurst shifter.

I was under the impression that the '68 shifters were Inland and they went to Hurst in '69 due to numerous complaints and problems.

That is what I meant, Inland not Indy. I just bought a block from them and have Indy on the brain.

You definitely don't have an Inland shifter. They had the t lever that had to be pulled up to get in reverse. Yours sure looks like a Hurst.

You definitely don't have an Inland shifter. They had the t lever that had to be pulled up to get in reverse. Yours sure looks like a Hurst.
Thanks hunt2elk. Yep I think its a hurst just with an early round handle. I looked up the Hurst site that does OEM parts and they have 2 round early shifters. One has HURST stamped on it but different stamping to the flatbars and the other doesn't have any. It must of been changed somewhere along the way for some reason. Im thinking of going to a pistol grip even though it didn't come out until 1970. Ive found one that is made for 1969 console cars like mine. I will have to change the whole shifter mechanism as well.

Im thinking of going to a pistol grip even though it didn't come out until 1970. Ive found one that is made for 1969 console cars like mine. I will have to change the whole shifter mechanism as well.
And the top rubber boot.

Auto Transport Service
Back