• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hydraulic cam comparable to the 292-509 purple shaft.

67coronetman

Local time
11:48 PM
Reaction score
Kind of curious out there what people are using now on your hydraulic cam selections for a big block 440 Mopar. What cams are you using there are comparable to the Mopar 292 509 purple shaft cam.

I went from a 509 cam to a Hughes cam on my 440. My new favorite cam. I called them up (they are a sponsor here) and gave them my car info, wants and needs and they suggested:

2018 cordoba cam specs.jpg

Mancini Racing has 509 cams. In I believe flat tappet and solid flavors. But don't quote me on that. I know Flat tappet for sure.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION​

Fits: B/RB 361-440, 292/509 Hyd Flat Tappet

.509" / .509" Lift. 248/248 Duration @ .050" 108 + 0 L/C

One Bolt Pattern

Street / Strip

Kind of curious out there what people are using now on your hydraulic cam selections for a big block 440 Mopar. What cams are you using there are comparable to the Mopar 292 509 purple shaft cam.
There are much better profiles available today. 509 technology is probably 40-50 years old now. Call a few manufacturers for recommendations.
Mike

Last edited:
There seems to be a few companies making the generic 292/509 cam.

There are much better profiles available today. 509 technology is probably 40-50 years old now. Call a few manufacturers for recommendations.
Mike
I know there are I just like the 509 I never had a issue with mine ran good..
Anyone out here using the comp cams .. Nostalgia 509

Just a suggestion, but if I was looking at that level of camshaft I'd step away from the hydraulic tappet. I think a sensible substitute would be the comp cams 294s.

My wagon turned a 12.68 in the 1/4 with a .030 over 440 with the 509. I was using 346 heads (with 2 cracked valve seats) and my 6 pack, along with Dougs 2" headers and 10:1 CR. 4.30 gears w/ loose converter.
Mike

“Back in the day”, when Hyd cams&lifters weren’t going flat at such an alarming rate………the DC/MP cams were a good option for many.
They were designed to work fine with the stock rockers and single springs.
And they were priced pretty friendly.

I no longer have that kind of confidence in flat tappets these days.

But I do agree with Lew…….if I’m looking for “509” performance, I’m going to flip right past the HFT page, and get into a SFT…..or beyond.

Auto Transport Service
Back