• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hydraulic lifter bleed down

andrewwoz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:04 PM
Reaction score
(I want to preface this with I'm new to working on old mopars/cars in general, any knowledge or assumptions are just things I have read online, mainly here)

So I have been noticing some intermittent valve noise that always seems to be coming from the pass side valve cover. Pulled the cover yesterday to inspect and I could rock some of the rockers with my hand though they had some resistance, some moved more than others. Not knowing exactly what lifters I have I backed off one adjuster on a rocker (valve was fully closed) and it seemed like the preload was about 3/4 of a turn. Screws are 20TPI so thats about .0375 preload I believe. I backed it off a bit more to get the pushrod fully loose, tightened it to zero and went 3/4 in and locked the nut down. Cranked the motor over a bunch and it was tight, after a few minutes I could move it maybe .005", after 90 mins I could move it .030" and the next day (about 18hrs later) I could move it about .100". Is this lifter dead or is that a normal bleed down rate? A few others on that bank are doing the same thing but this one is for sure the worst. This was all done with the engine cold, my guess is when it's hot and the oil is thinner it would be worse and that is what is causing my valve train noise? If they are dead should I just replace the bad ones? I have read quite a bit on the issues with FT cams/lifters going flat lately and feel nervous about replacing them, I do want to go to a smaller cam eventually so maybe just swap the cam and get all new lifters?

EDIT: Not sure if this could be related but I have never gotten a steady vac signal from the manifold, the needle will shake rapidly +/- 1", best I could get at about 900rpm idle is 6-7". A friend told me the fluttering/shaking was probably the cam, but now I am wondering if it could be a lifter/valve issue

Motor is a 440 with TF240 heads, 440 source roller rockers and according the previous owner a magnum 253 hydraulic flat tappet cam. Running 20w50 VR1 per previous owners recommendation, oil pressure is around 75 when cruising and about 45 at idle when hot.

Video of my "test"

Last edited:
looks like a tappet problem. you can take them out and apart and look for debris in them. i have no idea what a "magnum 253" cam is. you could just ditch the hydraulic cam and put a solid in it and be done with all the hydraulic issues. fast ramp cams with high spring pressures can be rough on hydraulic tappets.

looks like a tappet problem. you can take them out and apart and look for debris in them. i have no idea what a "magnum 253" cam is. you could just ditch the hydraulic cam and put a solid in it and be done with all the hydraulic issues. fast ramp cams with high spring pressures can be rough on hydraulic tappets.

My bad on the cam, it's a Comp Magnum, [email protected], .525 lift, 110 lsa. The grind is 305H

Magnum 253/253 Hydraulic Flat Cam for Chrysler 383-440

You’re not going to get a steady vacuum reading on a cam that’s got [email protected] and [email protected].

I would say the behavior you’re seeing from those lifters would be typical of what comes out of the box these days, especially if being used with the elevated spring loads that would be normal for a cam like you’re using.

Also, roller rockers rarely provide “silent” operation.

preload needs to be around .090" for "quiet" operation. trying to run lesser preload on the tappets will create noise. but, your tappets are giving up some. it would be nice to know your spring pressures. i'd just schuck it all and go solid and get off the hydraulic merry-go-round. you could end up chasing this forever.

Auto Transport Service
Back