• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hydraulic roller cam upgrade ? (383cu in )

sabre67

Local time
9:30 PM
Reaction score
Are there any modifications to the factory block to upgrade to a hydraulic roller cam ? Machine work ect.......?? Thanks for any input:thankyou:

There shouldn't be.
I don't have to do any machine work to run a solid roller in a 383.
I'm using Lunati solid roller lifters

Last edited:
No machine work, but mine did require custom pushrods for my 383 w hydraulic roller. Not sure if mine was unique or not. Plus cam button. Some will say not necessary, but for a couple dollars I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Gotta use lifters with tie bars, thrust bearing/button... Ask the cam manufacturer about distributor gears & fuel pump pushrods....

Some lifters don't have enough metal shrouding the roller which allows pressurized oil to pour out... That was more of an issue years ago, haven't heard of anyone having problems lately... In the past it required bushing the lifter bores...

Just as long as you stay way under 600 lift with 1.5 ratio rocker, you should be fine..

Don’t do it. Go with a solid roller if you want to go roller. Research the solid vs hydraulic roller topic on here and elsewhere and I think you’ll find the solid street roller will prevail.

Don’t do it. Go with a solid roller if you want to go roller. Research the solid vs hydraulic roller topic on here and elsewhere and I think you’ll find the solid street roller will prevail.
Most would agree, but most of us that just street drive our cars, don't want to be adjusting valve lash periodically. Only reason I went w hydraulic roller was longevity with today's oil and no adjustments.

If I may ask a noob question ,I understand the benefits in performance between a hydraulic vs. solid roller lifters but don't those gains of a solid really show mostly in the higher rpms like 5800 and up? Would it be safe to say if you never go there the benefits are not as great?

Auto Transport Service
Back