• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I’m noticing a few cars breaking down

Someone mentioned shootings...in the major city nearest to me, the freeways have been shut down three times due to friggin shootings! Ya just rarely heard of this **** a few years ago...geezuz - nut cases armed ready to kill ya or anyone in their path if you piss them off. If I could call it - these scum-sucks would face the death penalty whether they killed someone or not...

Hey BSB You nailed it lots of money no skill
A penis does not make you an auto tech

around here its due to all the shootings
LOL, I like to watch " Parking Wars".. After watching it I know America is doomed..

buckwheat-poster-card-c10230417.jpg

As long as there have been cars, they have been breaking down. Number one cause from the very beginning is cooling system related...
75 years ago, 10 years ago and now. Still the most common cause of beak downs.
Check and service your cooling systems, not just check the coolant level...

I think mechanical skills are weaker than they once were and that “upgrades” inherently aren’t vetted out like the original hardware and is simply less reliable. Push a 350HP engine to twice that using different geometry and hardware made and tested in quantities of thousands rather than millions breakdowns will happen.
I think it's more because of **** quality on simple parts than anything else. I'm pushing maybe 450-500 HP and with 16,000 miles on it I've broken down because of an ignition switch (non OE), a serpentine idler bearing, a Carter fuel pump (not American made) and had a brand new brake light switch that wouldn't work right out of the box. So much of what you buy nowadays is junk compared to old school parts.

I think it's more because of **** quality on simple parts than anything else. I'm pushing maybe 450-500 HP and with 16,000 miles on it I've broken down because of an ignition switch (non OE), a serpentine idler bearing, a Carter fuel pump (not American made) and had a brand new brake light switch that wouldn't work right out of the box. So much of what you buy nowadays is junk compared to old school parts.

Crappier parts is an issue as well.
Hey BSB You nailed it lots of money no skill
A penis does not make you an auto tech

There's definately a shift in the hobby and hobbist, and that is fine. I'm thankful there continues to be interest and support in the business. But I'm just old school. I'm surprised at the amount of people letting others work on their cars, and the level of frustration folks have when a purchased part isn't perfect. 90% of the parts available today were not available 35 years ago and ingenuity and creativity is how you made stuff work.

Last edited:
I had a little problem the other day too, I took the RR uptown to mail some packages and stop at the welding shop. It developed a little surge for some reason, which is odd because there’s absolutely nothing vacuum operated under the hood. Not like stalling or anything, but I could feel it while cruising along. Came home, pulled the air cleaner, checked the only vacuum hose that would make anything close to this symptom, the vacuum advance, and it felt a little loose. Twisted it a little, took it off and put it back on, took it back out for a ride, problem solved.

Had it out today, following a new Mustang and a GTO that I could tell were pretty sprightly, so I decided that if they hit it, so would I. I knew they would take the bait of being followed so they nailed it. Quick yes, but not quick enough to outrun old Blue. My car make look plain Jane, but all the guns are hidden under the hood. They kept going straight, I had to turn off, but I gave em a little beep beep!

If I’m going somewhere, even just uptown, I’m taking the RR.

BBA0AE11-2256-48C5-866B-31A9FA22D764.jpeg

If I’m going somewhere, even just uptown, I’m taking the RR.
Amen brother, I'll never understand those who lock them away and never get them out.. makes no sense to even own one? Nice RR, I dig the body color rims and dog dishes:thumbsup:

Amen brother, I'll never understand those who lock them away and never get them out.. makes no sense to even own one? Nice RR, I dig the body color rims and dog dishes:thumbsup:

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Crappier parts is an issue as well.

There's definately a shift in the hobby and hobbist, and that is fine. I'm thankful there continues to be interest and support in the business. But I'm just old school. I'm surprised at the amount of people letting others work on their cars, and the level of frustration folks have when a purchased part isn't perfect. 90% of the parts available today were not available 35 years ago and ingenuity and creativity is how you made stuff work.

That seems very odd to me too. I will occasionally get help from my buddy, if only because he is retired and likes to tinker on things all day, but I want to know every aspect of my car. When the carbs needed to be rebuilt, I set about doing it right here in the shop, and did it all myself. I want to know how and why things work like they do, and when something is amiss, I can better narrow it down if I know all of the players in the game. And, things like maintenance are actually a fun thing for me, because it allows me to check on how things are wearing, and identify problems before they arise.

I changed the fuel tank and all the lines on the car, and bought a $40 Vans sending unit, knowing it wouldn’t work right. I saved the old sending unit, and set about to completely rebuild it myself, while keeping the Vans unit in there so I could still drive. It’s for my benefit to know how things work, and how to check them when they don’t. My mind is filled with about 90% 70’s sitcom trivia, and 10% knowledge, I’d like to swing that more in my favor. Seems as if I’ll never get a chance at the $1m question about The Waltons, so maybe fill that file with sending unit info, and delete those Walton cookies once and for all. Except Erin, I’ll keep her in there just a little longer!

CC984936-9414-45E9-B81B-77B1C29D81E1.jpeg 853C0852-E7AC-4DD2-950E-B44951D3EBB3.jpeg

Crap Chinese parts, minimal skills, discombobulating things that are work-proven with other things that don't make sense, ignoring the basic stuff, etc,etc

Crap Chinese parts, minimal skills, discombobulating things that are work-proven with other things that don't make sense, ignoring the basic stuff, etc,etc

seems this year, the great debate is the radiator, and how to mess up a good system. “Why am I overheating, I have a flex fan, no shroud, a radiator that doesn’t fit, no hood seal or chin seal, but I have a 160 thermostat! What am I doing wrong”?

What’s the deal ? Is it the heat ? I’m seeing a lot of posts with members going for a cruise or a short ride and bam something goes wrong and they have to limp home

Im a member of a few mopar forums and a few gm forums. I’m seeing more breakdowns on the mopar forums .

So far no big issues on my end yet. I do have little things here n there but luckily nothing huge. At least not yet
They don't drive their cars enough. A vehicle that isn't driven on a regular basis will have problems. I drive my cars to cruise ins 100 miles away 3 times a month minimum. Cars started out sluggish beginning of the season but get better and better every trip.

Engines, all engines, need to be run regularly. Not just started n warmed, but driven n stressed. When an engine sits, seals dry up, calcium deposits develop etc. When I worked on helicopters on the 80-90's in the Army, they would leak n have problems like crazy when we were only flying the minimums. But, when we were flying missions, hardly anything broke or leaked.
In our cars, if it sits for the winters etc... things like the thermostat can stick, fuel gets bad, hoses harden n Crack etc. Gotta drive them.
don't know what kind of birds you have but i was a crew chief on a huey in Nam no leaks. on any of them

But, but, they have all the “upgrades“. How can they breakdown?

Led bulbs
Pertronix
NGKplugs
Mini starter
135 amp one wire alternator
Hi flow thermostat
aluminum radiator
12000 cfm electric fans
Type F
Kevlar bands
Stage 583 shift kit
Green bearings
3.55 cone posi (489 case for sure)
KYB shocks
Radial TA tires
Edelbrock 1406
Gasket matched intake
500 cubic inches
TTI headers
Comp cam
The trick rear main seal and cap(still leaks)
ZDDP in the pennzoil

And they cranked the engine with the coil wire off to get oil pressure before starting the engine, so it must be a good car!
I see your problem. Edelbrock garbage.

I have a pal that has been a mechanic in an all-makes shop for 30 years. At a get together last night, he said bad new parts from all makes has been their biggest problem for several years now.

usually when I get on the freeway I’ll always see a vintage car on the side of the road.
That’s one of my worries to be on the side myself so I always check my car. I do an under hood check pretty much before every drive and I’ll go under the car about once a month, so far no side of the road stops. Thank goodness

Auto Transport Service
Back