• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I am 18 and I have a 71 charger in my possession

savagecharger

Local time
7:05 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone and I would like to thank all of you for this wonderful website. My friend and I are in the possession of a 71 charger with a 440 engine bored and stroked to a 512... its rusty... and old... but we are working on it to the best of our ability... it runs but not drives.. yet... we have some timing problems and for some reason (we havent looked too far into this yet) it wont shift to second gear... I will keep you all posted on progress of the car.. pics will follow sometime soon

Nice man, I'm 17 and I helped fix up my dad's roadrunner which I drive daily. Trust me, you'll love your charger when it's complete.

welcome to the site like to see 18 year olds in muscle cars keeping the hobby going keep up the good work. has trans been rebuilt or shift kit installed had one that had a kit put in it incorrectly check valve body

Welcome to FBBO I'm 19 and recently purchased a 71 roadrunner trust me once you get that thing driving you will have the time of your life.

It's not my car... it is my friends (who is 19) but the point still remains that we don't know that much... well ... I don't know that much... my friend has a bit of knowledge... we had a vacuum leak and we fixed that .... idk anything about transmissions so I cannot elaborate further without my friend here and its got dual hollys sitting on top....our main concern is the timing at this point... it needs some work still and we don't know as much as we would like about all of this... I will probably ask about specifics in the near future... WE WILL NEED HELP!!! thank you all so much for reading and putting in advice ahead of time =D its greatly appreciated and no suggestions will be tossed out without thorough examination and explination

4th85l.png

Refcsl.png

cNHH9l.png

ElZbtl.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully your friend lets you drive it haha

Welcome!!!!

I will tell you this... Those two Holleys (4150 Ultra HP's) and the intake they are sitting on are probably worth more than the rest of the car combined. I would HIGHLY recommend getting a simple Torker II (~$100 used) and starting with just one of those carbs to get things running right, THEN maybe advancing to the bigger setup. My 4000# '67 Charger is running mid 10's on a single Holley 950HP on a Mopar Performance M1 single plane. It is SOOOOO much easier to properly tune 1 carb than 2.

Welcome!!!!

I will tell you this... Those two Holleys (4150 Ultra HP's) and the intake they are sitting on are probably worth more than the rest of the car combined. I would HIGHLY recommend getting a simple Torker II (~$100 used) and starting with just one of those carbs to get things running right, THEN maybe advancing to the bigger setup. My 4000# '67 Charger is running mid 10's on a single Holley 950HP on a Mopar Performance M1 single plane. It is SOOOOO much easier to properly tune 1 carb than 2.

.... I don't understand a lot of what you just said... BUT... as far as I know the carbs are fine .. the only issue that we are having is the idle ... which isn't a problem at all.. the intake manifold is custom and is worth some serious money.... idk how he got it but its great =D

Not knowing anything about the engine, but my first thought is over carbueration, that engine would have to be VERY stout to handle that kind of fuel. Welcome to the site and keep us posted, I'm interested!.

.... I don't understand a lot of what you just said... BUT... as far as I know the carbs are fine .. the only issue that we are having is the idle ... which isn't a problem at all.. the intake manifold is custom and is worth some serious money.... idk how he got it but its great =D

The idle issue is the total lack of intake velocity. Picture it this way: Hook up your shop vac to a piece of 2" pipe. The air will be sucked through the pipe at a very high speed. Now replace the pipe with a 10" pipe. Same amount of air goes through, but much slower. Drop a hand full of rice past the front of the 2" pipe and it will get sucked in like a shot. Drop the same rice in front of the 10" pipe and about 1/2 would fall right by, and the other 1/2 would drag across the bottom of the pipe until it got to the hose where the air velocity picked back up. When the air goes too slow through the intake, the fuel falls out and puddles on the floor causing terrible idle problems, lots of unburned fuel fumes in the exhaust and a tendency to load up at anything less than 1000 rpm. The intake you have there is cavernous.

Now also consider the fact that the air is being pulled through 8 holes instead of 4. Even at idle, those carbs are feeding from all 4 holes each. The amount of air being pulled though each one is 1/2 that of a single carb setup, resulting in much less responsiveness to whatever tuning you try to do. The fact it is a 512 really helps since it pulls more air per revolution, but it is still a LOT of carb for the motor. My suggestion was for tuning purposes on the motor as a whole, switching to a small single plane manifold or a big dual plane with just one carb would make your life way simpler until you get the car sorted out enough to need (or at least handle) all that intake capacity.

The idle issue is the total lack of intake velocity. Picture it this way: Hook up your shop vac to a piece of 2" pipe. The air will be sucked through the pipe at a very high speed. Now replace the pipe with a 10" pipe. Same amount of air goes through, but much slower. Drop a hand full of rice past the front of the 2" pipe and it will get sucked in like a shot. Drop the same rice in front of the 10" pipe and about 1/2 would fall right by, and the other 1/2 would drag across the bottom of the pipe until it got to the hose where the air velocity picked back up. When the air goes too slow through the intake, the fuel falls out and puddles on the floor causing terrible idle problems, lots of unburned fuel fumes in the exhaust and a tendency to load up at anything less than 1000 rpm. The intake you have there is cavernous.

Now also consider the fact that the air is being pulled through 8 holes instead of 4. Even at idle, those carbs are feeding from all 4 holes each. The amount of air being pulled though each one is 1/2 that of a single carb setup, resulting in much less responsiveness to whatever tuning you try to do. The fact it is a 512 really helps since it pulls more air per revolution, but it is still a LOT of carb for the motor. My suggestion was for tuning purposes on the motor as a whole, switching to a small single plane manifold or a big dual plane with just one carb would make your life way simpler until you get the car sorted out enough to need (or at least handle) all that intake capacity.

first of all.. thank you for putting it into laments terms... that helped me understand because i dont get a lot of this... i can see what your saying that its not getting enough air... and that makes sence because a few people have pointed out that there are no vacuum lines going into the carbs... we acutally have $0 dollars and about a month to put this car together so we are just trying to get it running and driving... then we bondo paint and sell it =) THIS WILL NOT BE OUR LAST CAR... we are going to have an epic series of awesome car rebuilds for all of you to enjoy... and we will need your guys' help with this... I KNOW ALMOST NOTHING ABOUT CARS.. but im learning and its extremely fun .... so i think its a no go on changing the carbs out but i will speak to my friend about it.

No worries. Just trying to help you understand what's going on. :wtg:

Have fun and learn everything you can along the way. I got my irst Charger just out of HS and knew NOTHING about it, but places like this one have helped me bring it from a borderline scrap heap of junk to the restored/restomodded 10 second beauty she is today.

Keep us updated.

Kids have it easy these days with the internet! In my day we'd have to kiss-*** to the crusty, old guys to get good advice! No substitute for reading a book either. For now, I'd recommend to "youse noobs" to play around on e-how, and start asking "how things work". As in "how does a carb work", or a distributor, timing, alternator. These are basic things you will run into and I really recommend you do this. Good luck "Young Guns"!

Auto Transport Service
Back