• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I collect table top aircraft

sam dupont

Local time
1:43 PM
Reaction score
I grew up in a Base Town, and I fell into a few table models all at once and got bit. Always liked aircraft, if I had the cash, I'd get me a Beech 18 so I could fly around collecting car parts. I've picked up a few more models through the years and here's one.

I stole this description from a seller on eBay:

18" long, 9-1/2" high ** Plane can swivel 360 degrees so can be displayed, at an angle and even upside down
Solid and heavy weighing over 3 -1/2 lbs ** Enamel paint on windows, nose, emblems, and lettering
Metal plaque at the base of the stand reads "Republic F-105 Thunderbird" * Underside of back wing stamped "Make in Holland"
P1012407.jpeg
P1012406.jpeg

I grew up in a Base Town, and I fell into a few table models all at once and got bit. Always liked aircraft, if I had the cash, I'd get me a Beech 18 so I could fly around collecting car parts. I've picked up a few more models through the years and here's one.

18" long, 9-1/2" high ** Plane can swivel 360 degrees so can be displayed, at an angle and even upside down
Solid and heavy weighing over 3 -1/2 lbs ** Enamel paint on windows, nose, emblems, and lettering
Metal plaque at the base of the stand reads "Republic F-105 Thunderbird" * Underside of back wing stamped "Make in Holland"
View attachment 1204388 View attachment 1204390
As an Air Force Brat, I have seen a lot of those table top planes. Was in Vienna in the early sixties. Pretty much saw them in every Embassy office...Think I actually had one similar to that one you have there when I was a kid. Always liked em.

As a A.F Retiree, I have 2 wooden ones for the aircraft's I flew on! The KC-135, and the KC-10. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Grew up 5 blocks from the 16th largest military installation in the world.

USAF test wing and command base. More different types of aircraft stationed there than I can remember.

I've seen my fair share of those, sometimes on the mantle in a friend's home.

...and of course we all know it's an F105 Thunderchief.

F4 launched guided missile fail. Had to be a direct hit, so the Sidewinder replaced it.

P1012408.jpeg
P1012409.jpeg
P1012410.jpeg

Nice! Of the 3 that I flew in, I've only been able to collect one; A Grumman HU16 Albatross. Nicely done wooden, hand painted model out of the Philippines.

Still hope to get one of a C-130 and my favorite: a Sikorsky HH52A. Darn things are expensive! I know when I'm gone the kids will give or throw them away so can't bring myself to spend the going rate.

I work in the industry and have seen all types of those within the offices. The one that I have is actually a toy P-38 made by Hubley. Attached is an online image. I also "collect" vintage artwork.

dk.png hubleymetaltoyp38881.jpg

I got this thing from a scrap yard a long while back. It weighs almost 5 pounds. And just under 15" long. Looks like it was poorly repaired. As one wing is drooping a little. And it has no markings of any kind on it.
20211207_165113.jpg
If anybody is interested? Pm me a offer. I have no clue on its value?

This McDonnell Aircraft desk display is one of the gifts presented to my dad at his retirement party in 1986. It includes the F-15 Eagle, F-4 Phantom & F-18 Hornet. He worked at McDonnell in St. Louis for 44 years and was Director of Final Assembly for the F-15 at the time of his retirement. He lived another 20 years and enjoyed Hunting, fishing and golf.

000000000 (2).JPG

000000000 (3).JPG

000000000 (4).JPG

000000000 (5).JPG

Last edited:
cool pics. I dont consider myself a plane geek so to speak. But I love this bird . and it sits on my desk full time

20211208_043411.jpg

Nick named "THUD" Doing the job it wasn't designed for as a lot of military aircraft are used in other jobs.

Nice! Of the 3 that I flew in, I've only been able to collect one; A Grumman HU16 Albatross. Nicely done wooden, hand painted model out of the Philippines.

Still hope to get one of a C-130 and my favorite: a Sikorsky HH52A. Darn things are expensive! I know when I'm gone the kids will give or throw them away so can't bring myself to spend the going rate.

There is a company that makes such aircraft some are in Mahogany.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...oFHTeiDAcQBSgAegQIARAx&biw=1592&bih=739&dpr=1

I work in aerospace and have collected a few models from programs I've worked on. These are on my desk in the den.

20211210_111047.jpg
20211210_111101.jpg
20211210_111324.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back