• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘Privacy Nightmare on Wheels’: Every Car Brand Reviewed By Mozilla — Including Ford, Volkswagen and Toyota — Flunks Privacy Test

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:53 AM
Reaction score

___
(WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 6, 2023) -- All 25 major car brands reviewed in Mozilla’s latest edition of *Privacy Not Included (*PNI) received failing marks for consumer privacy, a first in the buyer's guide’s seven-year history.

According to Mozilla research, popular global brands — including BMW, Ford, Toyota, Tesla, Kia, and Subaru — can collect deeply personal data such as sexual activity, immigration status, race, facial expressions, weight, health and genetic information, and where you drive. Researchers found data is being gathered by sensors, microphones, cameras, and the phones and devices drivers connect to their cars, as well as by car apps, company websites, dealerships, and vehicle telematics. Brands can then share or sell this data to third parties. Car brands can also take much of this data and use it to develop inferences about a driver’s intelligence, abilities, characteristics, preferences, and more.

In another first for Mozilla’s *Privacy Not Included research, none of the brands meet Mozilla’s Minimum Security Standards. Specifically, researchers couldn’t confirm whether any of the brands encrypt all of the personal information they store on vehicles, and only one of the brands (Mercedes) even replied to Mozilla’s questions about encryption.

The newest edition of *PNI examines the privacy and security flaws of car brands spanning five countries: the U.S., Germany, Japan, France, and South Korea. Researchers spent 600 hours reading privacy policies, downloading apps, and corresponding with brands; the full methodology can be found here.

The very worst offender is Nissan. The Japanese car manufacturer admits in their privacy policy to collecting a wide range of information, including sexual activity, health diagnosis data, and genetic data — but doesn’t specify how. They say they can share and sell consumers’ “preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes” to data brokers, law enforcement, and other third parties.

Other top offenders include Volkswagen, which collects demographic data (like age and gender) and driving behaviors (like your seatbelt and braking habits) for targeted marketing purposes; Toyota, which features a near-incomprehensible galaxy of 12 privacy policy documents; Kia, whose privacy policy states they can collect information about your “sex life;” and Mercedes-Benz, which manufactures certain models with TikTok (an app with its own privacy issues) pre-installed. Analysts estimate that by 2030, car data monetization could be an industry worth $750 billion.

Not a single brand received Mozilla’s Best Of designation, though researchers identified Renault as the least problematic. The European brand must comply with General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), a stringent law governing the way in which personal data is used, processed, and stored.

Says Jen Caltrider, *PNI Program Director: “Many people think of their car as a private space — somewhere to call your doctor, have a personal conversation with your kid on the way to school, cry your eyes out over a break-up, or drive places you might not want the world to know about. But that perception no longer matches reality. All new cars today are privacy nightmares on wheels that collect huge amounts of personal information."

Says Misha Rykov, *PNI Researcher: “This isn’t the first time Mozilla has uncovered an industry with terrible privacy practices. But cars are unique — their privacy flaws impact not just the driver, but also passengers and sometimes even nearby pedestrians. They can hear you, see you, and track you. Today, sitting in someone’s car is a lot like handing your phone over to the auto manufacturer."

Additional key findings include:

Apps add a new level of complexity (and creepiness). These days, few products come without an associated app — and autos are no exception. Today’s cars have apps that can be handy, helping you find your ride in a crowded parking lot or start your car remotely. But these apps are also an avenue for collecting even more personal data, like location and biometric information. Further, the governance of these apps can be convoluted: BMW USA, for example, manages an app for Toyota.

Many car brands engage in “privacy washing.” Privacy washing is the act of pretending to protect consumers’ privacy while not actually doing so — and many brands are guilty of this. For example, several have signed on to the automotive Consumer Privacy Protection Principles. But these principles are nonbinding and created by the automakers themselves. Further, signatories don't even follow their own principles, like Data Minimization (i.e. collecting only the data that is needed).

Meaningful consent is nonexistent. Often, “consent” to collect personal data is presumed by simply being a passenger in the car. For example, Subaru states that by being a passenger, you are considered a user — and by being a user, you have consented to their privacy policy. Several car brands also note that it is a driver’s responsibility to tell passengers about the vehicle's privacy policies.

Autos’ privacy policies and processes are especially bad. Legible privacy policies are uncommon, but they’re exceptionally rare in the automotive industry. Brands like Audi and Tesla feature policies that are confusing, lengthy, and vague. Some brands have more than five different privacy policy documents, an unreasonable number for consumers to engage with; Toyota has 12. Meanwhile, it’s difficult to find a contact with whom to discuss privacy concerns. Indeed, 12 companies representing 20 car brands didn’t even respond to emails from Mozilla researchers.

Car brands share personal information with law enforcement and governments. Hyundai’s privacy policy says, for example, that they can share data with law enforcement and governments based on “formal or informal” requests. Kia’s policy says they may share data in many scenarios “if, in our good faith opinion, such is required or permitted by law.” In other words: The threshold for sharing incredibly sensitive information is very low.

Data breaches are common. Serious data leaks and breaches are ordinary in the industry, from Tesla employees gawking at videos captured by consumers’ cars, to Volkswagen and Toyota leaking the personal information of millions of customers.

Consumers have very little control. While consumers can choose to not use a car app or try not to use connected services, that might mean their car doesn’t work properly — or at all. Consumers have almost zero control and options in regard to privacy, other than simply buying an older model. Regulators and policy makers are behind on this front.

2jyb9fxbwr651-2033758336.png

You guys have no idea what is stored in the memories of modern cars! All your texts, contacts, trips (I.e. GPS trackers), etc. are there even after you perform a factory reset. When your car gets totaled, buy it back and destroy the CPU if you ever did anything you don’t want other people to know about. Why people aren’t up in arms about this, I can only guess that they don’t know what is going on!

FBI warns about snoopy smart TVs spying on you​

An FBI branch office warns smart TV users that they can be gateways for hackers to come into your home. Meanwhile, the smart TV OEMs are already spying on you.
1694301043913.jpeg

Well to date : no smart cars, no smart TVs and we still have good old lightswitches.
So we're really not in the dark ages you lift the switch upwards gently and the light generally turns on.
You can thank Alexa if you wish but there is no computer listening around here.

Since this isn’t the political section I hope it’s OK. Lauren Fix, The Car Coach brought this up in a radio show last week. She said it has already been implemented on all GM cars and Nissan. Ford and Stellantis will have it in all 2024 models. It also collects who is driving, and if they are distracted, and records everything you say. While that might seem like a good thing to some… who wants to be watched the entire time they are driving like it’s a driver’s test when you were a kid? She said you can tell if the car is equipped with the spyware by looking at the dash when starting the car. Two infrared dots will be noticeable in front of you in the center of the dash display.

From 2021.

I’m sorry… I can’t find an article that doesn’t refer to the current administration.

What’s next? You have to “blow” a ******* tube to start your car?

Currently, the cops check your eye motion when they stop you at a check point, or just pull you over. What they don’t tell you is the flashlight they shine in your face, has an Alco-Check built in. It picks up the scent of alcohol. The cop always says he can smell it on your breath. The flashlight is much more sensitive. Then they will ask you to do field sobriety tests. It wouldn’t shock me if that technology will be implemented on cars, so you can’t even start it. Then it will notify the authorities. And your insurance company. Btw… that’s how they will eliminate most older cars from the roads. The insurance companies will refuse to write a policy, or make it so cost prohibitive that it won’t be affordable. But Cars and Coffee will continue. It’ll be nothing but 911’s and 60’s Bronco’s. :D

none of that in my car... ... I'll just mosey along in my fine-running, reliable Chrysler Cordoba...

My 73 is actually the cheapest car to insure that I own.

What a shame! Can’t understand the term mind your own business!

Since this isn’t the political section I hope it’s OK. Lauren Fix, The Car Coach brought this up in a radio show last week. She said it has already been implemented on all GM cars and Nissan. Ford and Stellantis will have it in all 2024 models. It also collects who is driving, and if they are distracted, and records everything you say. While that might seem like a good thing to some… who wants to be watched the entire time they are driving like it’s a driver’s test when you were a kid? She said you can tell if the car is equipped with the spyware by looking at the dash when starting the car. Two infrared dots will be noticeable in front of you in the center of the dash display.

From 2021.

[/URL]

I’m sorry… I can’t find an article that doesn’t refer to the current administration.

[/URL]

What’s next? You have to “blow” a ******* tube to start your car?
No the sensors are contact style, they can sense alcohol through your skin. So, the steering wheel or gear selector or otherwise.

No the sensors are contact style, they can sense alcohol through your skin. So, the steering wheel or gear selector or otherwise.
Lauren Fix claimed it watched your eye motion, and determines if you are inebriated. Idk… I do know my daily is a ‘68. I’m building a ‘68 GTX to use daily, except in the winter. I’m 58, so I should be able to get older cars without that stuff for the time I’ve got left. But like I eluded to in other posts… when the insurance companies deny to write a policy if you don’t have those things… or it becomes cost prohibitive… I’ll be out.

My dealer sent me an email telling me my tire was low.................... I sent back, well come fill it. I told them the next time I get an email about **** like that, my name was going to be on the front of their building!!!!!! That's the best part of driving my 65, it's just between me and her.

Auto Transport Service
Back